Thread: 2000 M5 Ls swap

My Cars
    2000 M5

2000 M5 Ls swap

Hey guys new to the page her just wanted to get it out there with what i'm starting. Just recently picked up a 2000 M5 roller from Las Vegas and planing on having it shipped home in the next month or two as it currently sits in the desert near mcas yuma.I have already located the motor that will be going in it.

I just grabbed up an a 2004 Silverado 2500hd with a smoked trans with only 97k. The plan is to pull and sell as much as i can off of the truck to recoup as much as i can for build parts. from what research I've done as of now i want the car to bee around 500whp N/A, if all goes my way i would like to mate the lq4 block to a set of l92 heads.I haven't really put too much thought into a cam but will am open to ideas. This will be the most "extensive build" i have done thus far. I have no doubt about my mechanical ability but the wiring aspect scares me a little bit but i guess we will cross that bridge when we get there.i If you have any comments, questions or concerns feel free to post or message me.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    looks like a fun project, what trans are you looking at. What nickle and dimes you on these projects is all the Fbody parts you need.

My Cars
    1999LSxSwapped 557i & X5
    Get a Magnum T-56 Trans brand new or atleast a TR6060. Buying a used F Body T-56 is a giant waste of money. Unless of course your going Auto.

E53 LSX Swap Coming Soon!

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwman528e View Post
    Get a Magnum T-56 Trans brand new or atleast a TR6060. Buying a used F Body T-56 is a giant waste of money. Unless of course your going Auto.

Yeah i was looking at used T56's and went with the T56 Magnum

My Cars
    2000 M5
    from everything I've been reading i'm starting to lean towards a 4l80e for reliability reasons but honestly i really wanted to make this thing a 6speed. Its just freaking insane how much people want for a trans anymore, I understand you have to pay to play but jeez it seems like it would be some much more cost effective to just buy a used 80e and have it built. It would still probably be less money than a used f body t-56 that you have no idea how hard it was beat on. what is the difference between the t-56 mag and a regular t-56? i assume the mag will hold more power? I'm on the fence about what route to go to be honest. your guy's pros and cons are extremely helpful through. I wont have the funds until next semester of college... Christmas is already starting to weigh on me this year. I miss being in the marines because at least then when i was stationed away from everybody I had a reason not to get everybody gifts. Happy thanksgiving to everybody!
    Last edited by nickhuber1; 11-22-2017 at 12:44 PM.

My Cars
    Why does your M5 not have M5 mirrors?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Guy I bought it from kept the inside and outside mirrors.

My Cars
    1999LSxSwapped 557i & X5
    Quote Originally Posted by nickhuber1 View Post
    what is the difference between the t-56 mag and a regular t-56?
    Magnum is rated to 700 ft lbs of torque out of the box. To buy a used T-56 for $1500-2000 then find out its junk and to build it to what a Magnum is you will end up having $5500 into a F-Body T-56. 4l80e is your best bang for your buck option but the car won't be as fun to drive obviously. To wake the 80e up will require a cheap Transgo Tugger HD Kit and a Converter which will add another $1000 to your build. But you could run a stock 80e for a while as-is with the stock truck or van converter until you save up some more coin.

E53 LSX Swap Coming Soon!

My Cars
    2000 M5

Little update

Ok so the holidays have been stressful so i apologize up not updating as frequent as i would like to.

+*Update*+ so i found an 03 528i at the junk yard and snatched the complete front subframe assembly.

I started tearing the block down so that i was able to begin the pain full process of cleaning all the rust garbage off.."sarcastic voice" It was a blast... i'm sure it doesent help the fact that this engine was powering a salt truck. I really didn't want to go the route of having it sandblasted because i wanted to keep the bottom end together. I first started with a drill and a wire when and discovered that i worded well but not well enough to get big chunks of rust off. thats when i discovered an air powered needle scaler. boy did that thing do the job i highly recommend the tool to anybody.

Another project I've started tackling is the wiring..before all of this i was extremely nervous about doing anything wiring related because to be honest i didn't really have the understanding about how circuits and automotive electronics work... A few youtube videos later and Lt1swap.com for wiring schematics and i was confident i could do it.. 1st pic of the harness is how it currently sits and the second is all of the circuits that were deleted. I got rid of evap, egr, secondary o2's something to do with 4wd and everything to do with DBW...and i think a few more i'm not rembering

This particular harness was from a 2004 Silverado 2500 which means it was DBW which i do NOT want to run on this project. so i unwired everything in regards to DBW and still have to add the wiring for TPS and IACV. I already picked up a new PCM from the local pull apart out of a 2004 blazer that has the stepper motor required to move the IACV motor, next step is to have PATS removed and reprogrammed to my application.

For those that are wondering i did decide what trans i'm running ...(at least for now) i still need to find one at the junk yard but its going to be a 4l80E with a stall converter and shift kit..I chose automatic for now due to the fact of how much abuse the 80e can withstand

12/23/17 stopped by summit racing today and found these on the clearance rack i needed an upgrade anyway i broke one of the coils removing them and needed a reason to get a new set..SCORE

My ls6 intake came in the mail today as well $300 shipped minus the t/b. Shout out to Michael Canfora for the intake

If anybody has f-body accessories for sale hit me up, I'm in the market. Also if anybody need anything truck accessory wise i'm your guy i need to rid of them. If anybody has any advice or questions feel free to post.
    Sorry for my unorganized mess of an update, im A.d.d as FU** and get distracted super easily.

Next parts on my list are**

7875 VS racing turbo kit

80E trans

Fab or buy a proper oil pan

Fab or make Engine mounts Haven't decided where to go with that yet.

Merry christmas gear heads i hope you all get that turbo you have been wanting under the christmas tree!!

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Looks like your making great progress, keep up the good work!

S.F.

My Cars
    2000 M5

Update**

So a little update on the build. To some this is going to look like a step backwards but honestly i thing this is the most cost effective route i could go. Chris from c&b motorsports had a 540 build that he abandoned and i bought some parts from him. I returned my subframe and rack and pinion assembly to the junkyard for reasons of going this route. so $290 got me both prefabbed engine mounts, a driveshaft that will accept the 4l80e that i already plan to use and and a modified gto oil pan, pick up tube and dipstick!! if i planned use the I6 subframe i would have had 1000+ on all said items and i now have 250 in credit at the junk yard to come up with my trans.so I seriously just saved myself a chunk of change by going this route...i'm not to concerned with the steering box positioning due to the fact of having the manifolds facing forward feeding the turbo. the only thing i may need to modify is the passenger side mount , but thats not even set in stone yet. i don't plan to run a/c this season so i'm not too worried about running into huge issues with clearance...by the way would anybody happen to have a 7875 kit for sale?

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Lets just say things are getting pretty serious.

Last edited by nickhuber1; 02-15-2018 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0

My Cars
    S/C LS2 e46, LS e367&8
    Very cool. Almost bought this roller and I believe we’ve chatted before. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this thing.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    I'll be interested to know if you find that something like this front sump Canton road race pan can work well:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...AaAuR4EALw_wcB
    I clicked on the link and it says its unavailable, the oil pan i am using is a modified gto pan.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Ugh, linking on this board is a pain. If you ever do want to look at it just for curiosity or whatever, just google this:

"canton front sump road race ls pan"

Should come right up then.

My Cars
    2000 M5
    ok little update i've been reading to much into ls1tech on boost and decided to gap all of my rings to .030 just to be safe incase i ever turn this thing up to 800hp or more the cars already torn down so fu*k it why not? Piston ring filer come from amazon from Jegs and my buddy that gets me deals at summit racing is putting his two week notice in so i had to take advantage and but a couple things before he's gone. I ended up getting ls9 head gaskets, I've read they are great for hold back water under high hp numbers. I also grabbed a set of ARP head bolts just because i knew the discount wouldn't make them all that much. so for both head gaskets and the bolts it came out to being 180 out the door. not too shabby... i cant wait for this semester of school to be over so i can drive the Dirtymax out to Arizona to bring her home...unless one of you fine gentlemen know of a towing service that would be around 7-800 to tow it from yuma az to akron ohio?

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    ...i cant wait for this semester of school to be over so i can drive the Dirtymax out to Arizona to bring her home...unless one of you fine gentlemen know of a towing service that would be around 7-800 to tow it from yuma az to akron ohio?...
    You can list it on uShip and see what kind of bids you get. Just be careful who you choose. Make sure the shipper is properly insured and licensed for interstate commercial transport.

Also, I apologize for sounding like the grammar police but a little effort in capitalization, punctuation and paragraph structure would make reading your posts a good bit easier.

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Ok guys its been awhile since i've posted anything so here we go! so after finishing up my hectic ass spring semester in school i can finally put my focus on the car. Due to finical setbacks, being screwed over by a shipping broker and my mother unexpectedly passing away late march i finally managed to get the car shipped from Arizona to ohio.

Im curious if theres anybody in this thread thats actually done an ls swap into an M5 car, what did you do wiring wise? Where all of the wiring comes together for the dme in the m5 car, is it different than the other e39s? for example i was researching a wiring thread on how to get started integrating the 2 harnesses (i will include the pic) but basicly from what i was able to see the car from the thread has a small fuse box in with the dme wiring, where as on mine i only have a couple connectors and NO type of fusible links in there, and also to add NONE of the wiring on my car is cut.(will include pics of my dme box)

This is just the part of the swap that makes me nervous because i've never dealt with wiring to this extent. I would like to be able to utilize the oem gauge cluster in this swap. i've read about how the can-bus system will have to be programmed to receive analog signals and that shouldn't be a huge issue my buddy ethan owns a bmw shop (Flitzen Factory) In richfield Ohio and should have all of the software to get that taken care of.

Any knowledge on where i should start with my wiring would be a great help and or anybody that would be willing to do the wiring for me hit me up with a price and i can see about getting the car towed to you once i set the motor and trans in.

My Cars
    1998 328I
    Sorry to hear about your mom's passing. Looking forward to following along the build! i'm in the middle of an e36 ls1 build and fuck is it alot of work haha, mind you it's 110 this weekend in AZ where I am so it's literally HELL

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by RulyLSX View Post
    Sorry to hear about your mom's passing. Looking forward to following along the build! i'm in the middle of an e36 ls1 build and fuck is it alot of work haha, mind you it's 110 this weekend in AZ where I am so it's literally HELL
    I could only imagine all of the extra nonsense you have to go threw. fortunately with the e39 platform with the front clip off there seems to be a lot of room to work with in the engine bay. what are your power goals with the e36? do you plan to run it boosted or n/a?

My Cars
    1998 328I
    I could only imagine all of the extra nonsense you have to go threw. fortunately with the e39 platform with the front clip off there seems to be a lot of room to work with in the engine bay. what are your power goals with the e36? do you plan to run it boosted or n/a?

yeahhhhhhh honestly when i started with the idea of an ls swap i was going to do an e39 originally but i coudn't find one nice enough. Oh well haha, right now im hoping for 450hp, I am going to go turbo or blower in a year or when I get bored ... at least that's the plan, we shall seee how much room there is after all said and done