Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attempting CA smog-legal E36 M3 LS1 swap

My Cars
    1996 M3 Lux Coupe
    Failed the Ref only due to the Catalyst monitor not ready. On engine changes, ALL monitors have to be ready/passed. I did so many drive cycles and lots of daily miles, and couldn't get the monitor to show complete (burned 2 tanks of fuel).

I went to the Ref anyway to see if anything else was wrong. At first he didn't like my Catalytic converter piping extended, but i assured him it was within the 3" allowable position, and he agreed after further inspection. He had no other problems, and told me to come back when the monitors were all good.

Catalyst monitor:
    I did a good deal of research into the Mode $06 data relating to this monitor. There were portions of the catalyst test that gather data during Deceleration Fuel Cutoff. I did a single cold-start drive cycle spending 7 minutes at 55-60mph in 5th gear, then coasted down to idle while in gear, making sure to get some time in DFCO. I repeated this 3 times without shutting off the car. I pulled back in my drive way to find all monitors complete! I made another Ref appointment. a couple weeks out.

Then, my water pump bearings locked up, causing the belt to not adequately spin the alternator. Got the car home and replaced both water pump and the alternator at the same time.

I went to the BAR Ref for a second time. Turns out the alternator stored a hidden P1637 Code- Alternator L-terminal. I never thought to check codes again before I went in. Failed, no codes are allowed to be present.

I cleared codes, and reset the computer. I ran 2 drive cycles as described previously, and all monitors were ready again!
    I'll make another appointment in late February. I'm busy prepping my turbo LS buggy for an event.

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    This is very exciting news, congrats on the build! How does the steering feel with the new shaft you put in? is it numb on center? how much different does it feel than a stock e36?

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    friggen amazing!
    Thank you for the updates
    Both good and bad, it will surly help the rest of us out.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Wow...lots of work for legality in CA - hats of to you!

My Cars
    2007 Subaru WRX Wagon
    Any updates? This is great news! I’ll be building my e36 with an LM7 to start and get everything buttoned up and ready for bar. Then I’ll throw in an LS1 my friend has and go to the ref. That steering shaft is great info and was definitely a bit of inspiration.

My Cars
    1996 M3 Lux Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by e30polak View Post
    This is very exciting news, congrats on the build! How does the steering feel with the new shaft you put in? is it numb on center? how much different does it feel than a stock e36?
    The steering is only noticeable at slow speed, e.g. in the parking lot. I can feel the sinusoidal effect typical of a u-joint at extreme angle. It otherwise feels just like stock when gettin' it in the twisty mountain passes!

My Cars
    1996 M3 Lux Coupe

It finally passed the smog ref!!!

The car passed last month and I got my Engine Change decal!

I took the long way home through the mountains rather than the straight desert route. What a blast! I drove closer to the edge than I ever have since the swap. The car feels just like it was meant to, especially with a new set of KONI yellows!

I spoke with the Ref for quite a while that day.
    As I was warned- the rules have changed slightly regarding engine changes. The cats are now allowed to be up to 6" further back from stock location.
    Engine changes will now all be required to be tested on the dyno, under load. Typically only people living in high-smog counties used to have to get a dyno smog test. He got approval to grandfather me in, and not do the dyno test because I was seen before the rule changes.

Picture for proof!
    BAR label.jpg

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    Quote Originally Posted by profplum View Post
    The car passed last month and I got my Engine Change decal!

I took the long way home through the mountains rather than the straight desert route. What a blast! I drove closer to the edge than I ever have since the swap. The car feels just like it was meant to, especially with a new set of KONI yellows!

I spoke with the Ref for quite a while that day.
    As I was warned- the rules have changed slightly regarding engine changes. The cats are now allowed to be up to 6" further back from stock location.
    Engine changes will now all be required to be tested on the dyno, under load. Typically only people living in high-smog counties used to have to get a dyno smog test. He got approval to grandfather me in, and not do the dyno test because I was seen before the rule changes.

Picture for proof!
    BAR label.jpg
    Lol, 6” back.
    Lies, no number is actually stated. Refs man...

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Chec...ence_Guide.pdf

Page 69 (shush)
    Non-OBD-II 1 certified vehicles receiving an OBD-II certified
    engine must meet the following:

2. Modifications of the intake and exhaust system are permissible only if necessary to accommodate the packaging of the vehicle and only if they do not affect the functionality of the systems. Any changes must not modify the stock functional design of the components (i.e. the intake air box must not be modified, EGR valves still properly mounted, etc.)

edit: As I read further, if you have a OBD2 its within 6 inchs only if

APPENDIX - E.5(a) On the close-coupled end(nearest the engine), within 6 inches, and no closer than the stock configuration

So, again as I read it "it must be within 6inchs... unless it wont actually fit in than you can move it."
    Last edited by erikerikerik; 06-04-2018 at 01:50 PM.

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    Ps, con-fucking-grats.
    I would love to see this in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Okay, I will now be LS swapping my s52 318Ti! So excited to see this go through! Thanks for being a pioneer in the community!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12