Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Got a "New" 1994 325is

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Just for shits and giggles I would check that fancy cnc machined thermo housing with a feeler gauge on some flat glass.

The upgraded plastic thermo housing that came with my car 7 years ago is still working fine
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    I am sitting waiting for cooling system parts, so I did some Facebook Marketplace searching last night and found this to fix up my damaged grill panel and front bumper. It was from a 1995 M3 that had been hit in the trunk. The guy had bought it for a motor swap and had no interest in the rest of the car.

I will likely be getting the steering wheel, Mirrors, M-Technic side skirts and a few other things from the car soon.

one does not simplify find an m3 bumper same color in good condition, lucky man
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    99 528i 5speed Alpine white(Totaled Unfortunately)
    Oil pan and timing chain delete, weight reduction right?
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    You sir are an ENTHUSIAST
    Thanks buddy, I have to do something to amuse myself!

Just for shits and giggles I would check that fancy cnc machined thermo housing with a feeler gauge on some flat glass.

The upgraded plastic thermo housing that came with my car 7 years ago is still working fine
    Yeah, I heard the upgraded composite were good, and heard that some metal thermo housings were problematic. I figured it was the "URO" part that was the likely suspect, so I gave this one a shot. I will let you know if there are any issues. I will be checking fluids every day and inspecting for leaks at the same time as a habit. I like driving the car too much to let it become a heavy paperweight by neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by zohaibrose View Post
    one does not simplify find an m3 bumper same color in good condition, lucky man
    No kidding, the guy was asking $160 for the complete bumper assembly and $60 for the Grill panel. Being in almost perfect shape and the right color, I didn't even haggle. These go quick, he put it up last night and I went very quickly today to get it. It was almost a 2 hour drive but so worth it. The paint on the rear wing is flaked in spots because the car got hit in the rear, but not damaged structurally. He told me he would throw it in for $40, I got it just to have it. Not even sure that I will put it on my car though. A lip spoiler might be more my speed.

The guy who has the donor M3 is interested in my E46 325i 5 speed (blown motor), I think I have a deal going to get the rest of the stuff I want from the car. I hope it works out, because I am tapped for cash right now.
    Last edited by Deus Ex Machina; 11-21-2017 at 10:29 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Here are the Major components I have on the way for the cooling system. Not everything is shown.

Since the glass lenses had come loose inside my headlight units when I disassembled to install my M-Technic front bumper, I tried to disassemble them for repair. That didn't work at all, so now I have to buy lights. These are what I am likely getting soon (Plus smoke side markers).

My Cars
    One Too Many
    After God, The Machine. Love your Username Jensen

Lovely Build too.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Here are the Major components I have on the way for the cooling system. Not everything is shown.

Since the glass lenses had come loose inside my headlight units when I disassembled to install my M-Technic front bumper, I tried to disassemble them for repair. That didn't work at all, so now I have to buy lights. These are what I am likely getting soon (Plus smoke side markers).

i bought those same headlights but ended up returning them because they are hard to wire up.
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    i bought those same headlights but ended up returning them because they are hard to wire up.
    These don't have angel eyes or anything, I don't think they will be too bad.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I got my M3 parts stash today.

I got the mirrors on, the other stuff will take a while, the wheels need a good blasting and powdercoat, new center caps and M logos. Minty! I will clean and polish them later.

Last edited by Deus Ex Machina; 11-26-2017 at 05:37 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Get some HID's for those new projectors, I've had good luck with Xentec, I use H1/5000k/55w

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xentec-35W-...6/352049262727
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Get some HID's for those new projectors, I've had good luck with Xentec, I use H1/5000k/55w

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xentec-35W-...6/352049262727
    Thanks for the tip on the bulbs, I will definitely run HID.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Thanks for the tip on the bulbs, I will definitely run HID.
    and just note to run hid you have to drill holes and will void your warrenty for depos
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    and just note to run hid you have to drill holes and will void your warrenty for depos
    The bulb specs on these already state H1 bulbs, and they include the wiring harness.

That being said, I could care less about a warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

I picked up a full set of M3 Brakes plus the spindle assemblies with rotors and almost new pads (Plus a mint condition rear diffuser which it looks like I can use with my factory 325is bumper).

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    After God, The Machine. Love your Username Jensen

Lovely Build too.
    Thanks, the username seemed appropriate. I think the car is going to turn out nice.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Got a line on an S52 with the trans attached from the guy I got the brakes from. It's not posted for sale, so it looks like I might be selling some things and stashing cash.

It has some miles on it and has a few leaky valve guides, so it would take some freshing up. The price will be very good for an S52 it looks like. Guess I have some thinking to do there.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Before and after mugshots of the car.

As it was when I bought it a couple of weeks ago:

After the face lift:

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Ha ha, this is so awesome. Very similar to my '94 325is build, except I have a cheap knock-off M3 bumper and far crappier paintwork.
    M3 stuff just magnetically attracts to 325 cars, it's inexplicable really.

Make sure you get the M3 sway bar, the 325 one mounts completely differently and is incompatible with the M3 control arms which I hope you got with the spindles because they are really the key to M3-spec handling.

I don't like how the M3 brakes feel with the 325 master cylinder, next time I tear my car apart I will put the M3 master in and report back.

Are you going to M3 the rear? I plan to but the dif prices are daunting...
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by JEC928 View Post
    Ha ha, this is so awesome. Very similar to my '94 325is build, except I have a cheap knock-off M3 bumper and far crappier paintwork.
    M3 stuff just magnetically attracts to 325 cars, it's inexplicable really.

Make sure you get the M3 sway bar, the 325 one mounts completely differently and is incompatible with the M3 control arms which I hope you got with the spindles because they are really the key to M3-spec handling.

I don't like how the M3 brakes feel with the 325 master cylinder, next time I tear my car apart I will put the M3 master in and report back.

Are you going to M3 the rear? I plan to but the dif prices are daunting...
    I got the brakes for a steal, the spindles and rotors are all they came with besides the calipers. I know a guy who mostly only deals with M3's so I can pick the other stuff up later.

If I do the drivetrain I will do the diff too. I didn't know the diffs were high. I know where a 3.23 M3 diff is right now for $300, and could probably get it for $250.

My Cars
    1998 328i, 1990 Spec E30
    Wow, thats a great deal and great mods. If i stumbled into a low mileage 2 door like that, I would restore that thing to the last interior part possible. Beautiful car.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo520 View Post
    Wow, thats a great deal and great mods. If i stumbled into a low mileage 2 door like that, I would restore that thing to the last interior part possible. Beautiful car.
    Thanks Renzo, I search hard for nice but low cost parts and I have had good luck.

I had planned to get a new vehicle when my wife's Jeep JKU is paid off, we usually stagger it out like that. To tell the truth I would rather have this rolling in better than factory condition. Maybe drop in the S52 and related drive train components/upgrades when my engine gets a lot more miles.

Could I get a $20,000 to 30,000 newer BMW in a few years? Yes. But I really don't like the newer ones. No manuals. If something breaks, expensive dealer repair is almost mandatory. I don't care for the exterior or interior styling on most of the newer 3 series either, they took the "Business Executive" thing too far. The only model I do like is the new M4's, but there again, over computerized and no manual option.

I would rather spring for a nice E46 M3 the next time I buy a vehicle and make it like new.

I would say an E36 M3, but by the time I get through with this one most of the difference will likely be a VIN code.
    Last edited by Deus Ex Machina; 11-28-2017 at 12:42 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Screw it, I just went full Darth Vader.

Now that I have my lights ordered all the way around, I am considering whether to do an HID conversion or go with the more expensive LED option. Not sure which way I want to go, I may just use the H1 bulbs until I decide which I want to go with.
    Last edited by Deus Ex Machina; 12-09-2017 at 04:54 PM.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    looking good man!! keep up the progress looking forward to seeing more work

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajaxx1989 View Post
    looking good man!! keep up the progress looking forward to seeing more work
    Thanks Ajaxx, I am going to focus on mechanical when my parts come in. I will need to put a new windshield cowl on also to seal that (will have to use packing tape until then).

All of the M stuff will have to wait for a bit until I collect all of the proper fasteners. There are a few easy pieces that use factory hardware.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I ordered a few more things:

Upper Radiator Top Cover
    Alternator Cooling duct
    Windshield Cowl
    M-Sport side skirt install kit (New clips, grommets, hole covers, gasket set)

My Alternator cooling duct parts were missing when I got the car. Does anybody have the specs on the bolts and fasteners so I can get them on the way?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I had mentioned before that I had picked up a full takeoff set of M3 calipers and got the front spindles and brake discs.

Well, the parts had been sitting for a while, so this is what the brake discs looked like:

You are probably thinking "Them brake discs are done, son!"

Well, not really. They are super sweet minty brake rotors who have lived a lonely life lately and just need a little love. So here we go to save them from the dustbin of eternity!

I got a fluid drain pan from Walmart and 4 gallons of white vinegar from the cooking aisle.

I put one of the discs in the pan, filled it with vinegar and submerged it. It took a gallon and a half to fill the pan with the displacement of the part. I did this right after I got home from work yesterday and pulled it out after work today. I rinsed it well, and sprayed all of the cooling passages with a jet nozzle on my hose.

It's pure magic.

You would think that the discs looked rusted very badly and might be unsalvagable. On the next pic, look at the lettering and how crisp it is. There was absolutely no pitting anywhere.
    Last edited by Deus Ex Machina; 11-30-2017 at 05:38 PM.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    damn, that vinegar worked magic, I would have never thought of that and would have taken a brass wire wheel to them

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast