Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Got a "New" 1994 325is

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    He does factory style 3 color stitching.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    The stock fan shroud was loose at the bottom and middle when I got the car, it had spin marks from the AC compressor pulley. I tightened it up to the aftermarket aluminum radiator when I did the cooling system upgrades.

The stock shroud didn't play well with the aftermarket radiator, the bottom corner rubbed through some fins at fhe bottom edge causing the radiator to leak.

I got a Mishimoto radiator since I already had gotten the Mishi expansion tank and had the fan/shroud/controller kit on standby.

I neatly ground off probably a little over 1/4" from the inside surfaces of the shroud that touched the radiator. I cut strips of automotive/marine self adhesive weather stripping and mounted them on the radiator to isolate the shroud while providing a better air seal than stock.

It worked well, the shroud is sealed well, but does not contact the radiator fins whatsoever.

Once installed, I put on all of the hoses except the top hose. The Mishi radiator came with rubber caps over the openings, so I cut an "X" in the cap just big enough to insert a slim tipped funnel. I filled the radiator with the funnel until to the top, and filled the upper radiator hose before attaching. When I filled the expansion tank only a few bubbles came out.

I was skeptical that all of the air was out of the system, I ran the car for about 20 minutes while watching for leaks and keeping an eye on the temp.

All looked good, so I drove it for about 40 minutes and stopped to check for leaks several times.

Looks like it is good to go. Of course I will monitor it closely.

Bone dry and dead center right now.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    The stock fan shroud was loose at the bottom and middle when I got the car, it had spin marks from the AC compressor pulley. I tightened it up to the aftermarket aluminum radiator when I did the cooling system upgrades.

The stock shroud didn't play well with the aftermarket radiator, the bottom corner rubbed through some fins at fhe bottom edge causing the radiator to leak.

I got a Mishimoto radiator since I already had gotten the Mishi expansion tank and had the fan/shroud/controller kit on standby.

I neatly ground off probably a little over 1/4" from the inside surfaces of the shroud that touched the radiator. I cut strips of automotive/marine self adhesive weather stripping and mounted them on the radiator to isolate the shroud while providing a better air seal than stock.

It worked well, the shroud is sealed well, but does not contact the radiator fins whatsoever.

Once installed, I put on all of the hoses except the top hose. The Mishi radiator came with rubber caps over the openings, so I cut an "X" in the cap just big enough to insert a slim tipped funnel. I filled the radiator with the funnel until to the top, and filled the upper radiator hose before attaching. When I filled the expansion tank only a few bubbles came out.

I was skeptical that all of the air was out of the system, I ran the car for about 20 minutes while watching for leaks and keeping an eye on the temp.

All looked good, so I drove it for about 40 minutes and stopped to check for leaks several times.

Looks like it is good to go. Of course I will monitor it closely.

Bone dry and dead center right now.

I've always had good luck filling the system through the upper hose and thermostat housing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Interior almost buttoned up, need to swap out the center console (Shifter/OBC section) and maybe get a Hard Motorsport glove box delete and have it powdercoated to match the dash.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Got some pics in a better location than my driveway.

Last edited by Deus Ex Machina; 03-31-2018 at 09:02 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Interior almost buttoned up, need to swap out the center console (Shifter/OBC section) and maybe get a Hard Motorsport glove box delete and have it powdercoated to match the dash.

Holy cow. Where did you get your seats redone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate94 View Post
    Holy cow. Where did you get your seats redone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They were done right before I bought the car. The covers are just the vinyl factory style covers I have seen for $400. The people that had it most likely had them put on by an upholstery shop. They do look good.

I have a set of Vaders that need new leather, I will probably get an L Seat front cover kit and have a professional shop do the work on those too.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I ordered this, my connector is broken. This and the VCG are all I have left to do as of now (under the hood anyway).

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I am in between paychecks so I have been shifting at 2200 on slow accel to get better gas mileage.

Got it from 22.3 to 25.3 in two trips to pick up my baby boy.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I am in between paychecks so I have been shifting at 2200 on slow accel to get better gas mileage.

Got it from 22.3 to 25.3 in two trips to pick up my baby boy.

I get that kind of mileage around town, on road trips I used to average 31-32mpg with my bone stock 328 manual.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    I get that kind of mileage around town, on road trips I used to average 31-32mpg with my bone stock 328 manual.

I didn't reset my consumption meter from before when I was shifting at 4000 rpm, so it was still biased downward.

I accidentally hit the reset on the way home today, and it showed 31.4 by the time I arrived.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    That sounds about right

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Put my PCV connector assembly in, easiest part yet. The hoses I saved until later because they look hard to get to, and the hoses appear to be ok.

I ordered some matte black grills, and got word that the Airbag for my Euro 3 spoke is going through US Customs and will be here soon.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I got my long awaited airbag from Ukraine this morning. It's in perfect shape and came with a slip ring which was unexpected.

My Cars
    '94 e36 325is
    Why is my gas mileage so shit. Max I can reach is 17 mph.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev36 View Post
    Couldn't tell you offhand, there are a lot of factors like auto/manual, how you drive it, primarily city/hwy miles etc.

With those considered, there could be mechanical factors in addition. I am not much help there, I am more of a "it works right/something's off" kind of guy. I can isolate and fix most things as they come up, but I don't typically do a lot of mods or troubleshooting on those kinds of issues. I hope I don't run into any wierdness, if I do I will try to figure things out on a case by case basis.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I got my leather samples in so I can pick the colors for reupholstering the Vaders and back seat.

Last edited by Deus Ex Machina; 05-01-2018 at 09:42 AM.

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev36 View Post
    Without hijacking the thread, the first question is - is the performance what you expect from the car, has it deteriorated? The other big question, does it smell like the fuel mixture is exceptionally rich, or the injectors are batch-firing? A lot of things can play into the fuel mixture, so you'd be wise to consider whether the O2 sensor has ever been replaced and check the diagnostics for anything related to MAF, IAT, TPS, Knock Sensors, Misfires and so on.

In my 320i, I find that using the air-conditioner slows the car enough that I loose 4-5mpg from accelerating harder. But that's a 2.0L six. Maybe the same is happening for you in your vehicle.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    It came a good rain late in the evening tonight, it came and went and brought the temp to a perfectly cool and refreshing level. Had a great drive home near midnight with the windows partially down, the sunroof open, and the back windows kicked out. Nothing like a smooth lucid ride watching the center lines flicker by when Paul Oakenfold's portion of a continuous mix is playing.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I think I might have a problem... Is there a therapist who deals with BMW parts addiction?

My Cars
    I think I might have a problem... Is there a therapist who deals with BMW parts addiction?
    Yes, that's me. The first thing you need to do is learn to deal with separation anxiety by sending me a matching set of four.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567