Thread: N52 525xi clunk in front.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ

N52 525xi clunk in front.

So like it says I have the clunk in front left (driverside). I'm assuming it is strut and strut mount. I bounce on it and she jumps right back up. I did grab the tire and shake it and no movement. Rolled it back and it rolled the car back. So are my assumptions right? I'm also going to replace bump stops... Just asking because I'm not 100% sure. But very DIY so I'm on for the job..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Likely.
    Make sure to replace as a pair.

Shameless plug, but I have a pair of new Bilstein front xi struts for sale.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ss109 View Post
    Likely.
    Make sure to replace as a pair.

Shameless plug, but I have a pair of new Bilstein front xi struts for sale.

Yes I know you do we have spoken. I'm actually thinking of buying them off of you. I just have to make sure it's not anything else..

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick91303 View Post
    Yes I know you do we have spoken. I'm actually thinking of buying them off of you. I just have to make sure it's not anything else..

Ha, I didn't even notice the user name!!!

My Cars
    Have your thrust rod bushings ever been replaced? When does it clunk? When stabbing the brake pedal? Or when you go over a speed bump and the shock compresses and rebounds? That could also be sway bar end links.

You're quick to assume the strut, but why? What steps have you taken to confirm that diagnosis?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Have your thrust rod bushings ever been replaced? When does it clunk? When stabbing the brake pedal? Or when you go over a speed bump and the shock compresses and rebounds? That could also be sway bar end links.

You're quick to assume the strut, but why? What steps have you taken to confirm that diagnosis?
    Well lol I just went under the car to double check with better lighting and the thrust arm bushing ( torque strut bmw calls it) is bad.. and AutoZone has them 89 bucks each for the whole arm..

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ

And yes the struts, and mounts are still getting replaced. The driver side is on its last leg and they are the stock from 07. It's time to freshen her up and start fixing the little things that where neglected and or just not done on the 100k time lol. But I do appreciate the idea of checking the thrust bushings.. I was curious because I have checked it like 3 times but didn't see it torn inside.. maybe the way I was looking it was hard to see or it finally just torn all around.. but ether way it's all getting replaced this weekend. Now I'm curious if anyone can tell me.. A 525xi control arm different from a 525i?

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Look at REALOEM for both your 525xi and 525i and see if they have the same part number. I'm betting they are different.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing View Post
    Look at REALOEM for both your 525xi and 525i and see if they have the same part number. I'm betting they are different.
    Yeah they are different. Well at least the front trust arm is. The RWD E60 comes with the ball joint on the thrust arm. The xi model the ball joint is attached at the hub.. but the front rear control arm look the same along with some other parts.. but yeah the ball joint is the only difference

My Cars
    Make sure you have the suspension fully loaded when you tighten down the bolts of the thrust rod bushings.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Make sure you have the suspension fully loaded when you tighten down the bolts of the thrust rod bushings.
    Yes I will jack it up and slide my ramps under and then tighten the thrust arm bushing bolts on both sides.. Idk if my struts will be here by the weekend but I know the thrust arms are coming tomorrow.. And if not then I will take the 25min drive to FCPEURO and pick up others.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Happy thanksgiving everyone who celebrates it... I ended up replacing the thrust arm ( torstion strut) on driver side today (passenger side comes in sat) WOW what a difference lol. No more clunk. But you can still feel the passenger side is on its last leg. The front struts will be going in next weekend. Just waiting on the parts to come in... Can't wait to feel the ride it SHOULD have lol...

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick91303 View Post
    Happy thanksgiving everyone who celebrates it... I ended up replacing the thrust arm ( torstion strut) on driver side today (passenger side comes in sat) WOW what a difference lol. No more clunk. But you can still feel the passenger side is on its last leg. The front struts will be going in next weekend. Just waiting on the parts to come in... Can't wait to feel the ride it SHOULD have lol...

Well like I said I replaced the driver side torstion strut. I tighten her up and the put the ramos under lowered the jack so the suspension is loaded. Got MAYBE a half a turn more out of both. Driving over little bumps now you don't hear anything like I would before. But there are times I still hear a clunk. I'm hopping the passenger side comes in tomorrow so I can replace that one and rule out that it's that one. But I'm still waiting on struts and strut mounts. Have the dust boot covers and bump stops.. I really hope this solves the issue. Everything else looked ok under there but I am going to shop around and find a kit that has the rest of the parts like stabilizer bars, rear control arm and everything else that should be freshen up.. any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday.

My Cars
    Wait, you tightened it down, then loaded it, and then tightened it more? You need to have it completely loose with no tension AT ALL when you load the suspension. The bushing HAS to be free to rotate with no tension on it.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Wait, you tightened it down, then loaded it, and then tightened it more? You need to have it completely loose with no tension AT ALL when you load the suspension. The bushing HAS to be free to rotate with no tension on it.
    Well good thing I parked it and stopped driving till I do the passenger side tomorrow.. Hope I didn't mess up the bushing. That would explain a lot.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Well got her in the air with ramps and was able to loosen the bushing bolt from under side. It did settle a little more. I did inspect it and no damage ( good idea that I parked it I guess) also changed out passenger side thrust arm. Now I can tell it's the Driver side strut making the noise. I can hear it up top so I'm assum8ng it's the strut mount witch is what I'm waiting for to come in. I have everything else. Struts came in today, shock covers and bump stops are here.. But when hit small cracks in the road it doesn't clunk only when they are like uneven manholes.. White94RX, thanks for catching that mistake I made. I really appreciate it.

My Cars
    No prob!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    991.1 / 958.2
    The first time I replaced those bushings I tightened them unloaded as well!!
    Glad to hear you received your struts!

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ss109 View Post
    The first time I replaced those bushings I tightened them unloaded as well!!
    Glad to hear you received your struts!

Yes they came this morning.. Thank you very much for the sale.. Now if the darn strut mounts come I can replace them and hopefully fix the noise I'm hearing. If that doesn't do it then I'm just gonna replace all control arms and ball joints and bushings all over lol. Did you do any damage to yours when you tighten them without loading the suspension? I put the car up on ramps and was able to get under it and lossen the bushing bolt and tighten back up. Like I said I did inspect the bushing and didn't see any damage so I'm assuming it's the struts now. When I hit the brakes the nose dives a little and also there is some fluid leaking out of the top of the strut so I know for a fact it's bad lol.

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Well good news. I replaced the sway bar links on driver and passenger side. No more clunk lol. The driver side bottom link ball joint was torn open and you can easily push it to the right and it Doing a back to the left. This weekend I will be changing the struts as the driver side is leaking some fluid out. Can't wait till it's all done. Can't wait to feel the ride of a fresher suspension...