Thread: Alternator Bushings

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci

Alternator Bushings

I ordered two bushings for my alternator but since the local re-builder did such an absolute awesome job on my starters finish (I used to be in the rebuilding business) I let them do the alternator too. They do a glass bead blasting on the housings before they shot peen it. Cleanest finish outside of new I've ever seen.

Anyways I asked them to replace the two rubber grommets. They had given me a tour of the shop before and know I was in the business. They liked that I know what they do. The guy goes back and comes out with a new front housing that has no grommets and says I can take either one but he recommended eliminating the grommets. I thought about it and decided that's probably what breaks that weak upper bracket. So no more grommets.

Mistake or good call?

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Grommets? What grommets? I'm not quite following here. Does it still have a bushing?

If your alternator has 2 rubber bushings and you didn't originally, you're going to need to add a ground wire from the alternator chassis to the car chassis.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    I have no idea what grommets, either
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1986 325e 2001 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by clovett View Post
    I ordered two bushings for my alternator but since the local re-builder did such an absolute awesome job on my starters finish (I used to be in the rebuilding business) I let them do the alternator too. They do a glass bead blasting on the housings before they shot peen it. Cleanest finish outside of new I've ever seen.

Anyways I asked them to replace the two rubber grommets. They had given me a tour of the shop before and know I was in the business. They liked that I know what they do. The guy goes back and comes out with a new front housing that has no grommets and says I can take either one but he recommended eliminating the grommets. I thought about it and decided that's probably what breaks that weak upper bracket. So no more grommets.

Mistake or good call?
    When I removed the alternator it was mounted at an angle and had two rubber "grommets" that the bolts slid through for mounting. After 18 years the "grommets" had started to break down. It has a grounding strap.

I went to a local shop and they offered to replace the front housing with two "grommets" with a similar housing that is all aluminum eliminating the "grommets". I thought about it and decided to do that.

Can anyone see any issues with doing this? It lines up fine so I am thinking it's an upgrade.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Well if you went with an all aluminum housing you won't need the grounding strap, but you can still use it anyway.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Grommets are the term for rubber isolator/seal that passes through something like a firewall. It's purpose is to protect the cable. Bushings are what you had in the alternator. There purpose is to reduce noise and vibration. There should be no issues resulting from the switch to the non-bushing version. Go ahead and eliminate the ground strap.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.