Thread: Oil Service Won't Reset/Oil Level Not Responsive -- Found the problem!

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530xi

Oil Service Won't Reset/Oil Level Not Responsive -- Found the problem!

I recently replaced my alternator for the second time (my fault, first time i went with autozone cheapy because I was in a rush). I got a free warranty replacement, so I guess I'm stuck in that cycle now!

Anyway, after replacing the alternator, my car told me my oil change was due in <500 miles. Interesting as I had changed it 5000 miles ago. Got around to changing it this weekend, but I couldn't get the damn thing to reset the maintenance light.

I booted up INPA and read the error memory -- it was reporting BSD communication problems with IBS, alternator, water pump, and the oil quality sensor.. Faaaak.

I cleared the memory, shut the car down, started it back up and connected INPA. Same message.

So -- I unplugged the alternator's "data lead", cleared the error memory, turned the car off, then started it back up. Bingo! Car reads 15000 left on the oil change, and shows me an oil level! No more BSD errors.

Good thing to know is that if the voltage regulator isn't told what to do from the computer, it will self-regulate, and put out a nice 14 volts. I ordered a BMW genuine voltage regulator, and a 3rd set of alternator bolts, so I'm hoping that helps. I'll update once I have that put in.

-Kyle

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330xi
    what’s your update? i need to know, i’m getting this error after getting my valve gasket cover replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2007 530xi 6 spd.manual
    Good luck in finding out. The OP hasn't posted anything in 2 years. You might try PMing him.
    2007 530xi, Black Metallic Sapphire, 6 speed manual, Sport package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Sirius Satellite Radio, MTech front bumper, Replica Style 166 wheels

My Cars
    1999 mustang gt
    Check the wiring harness near the turbos. Just diagnosed a similar problem a few weeks ago. The harness gets melted by the exhaust after someone messes with it and doesn't put it back properly, and it takes out the communication line. Does your oil level display work?
    Last edited by pimpmyride101; 12-06-2019 at 06:12 PM.

My Cars
    1981 BMW 733i
    Had my alternator rebuilt with a new Valeo regulator and am having similar issues. First I got IBS/alternator codes, cleared them, and then got oil level sensor/IBS codes and I am having the same issue where it's saying that the oil is due much sooner than it should be. I unfortunately did not have a code reader before replacing the alternator and battery so I have no clue what codes were present beforehand.

I'm hoping I don't have to replace my rebuilt alternator with an all new one...it was annoying getting the alternator out because of the oil cooler that's part of the fan shroud.