Thread: NEW E92 Owner!!...

My Cars
    95 540i M-Sport

NEW E92 Owner!!...

Hey guys, haven't been on here for ages, but i decided to post up again. Reason being is because im going to be a new E92 owner soon, just having a tough time trying to decide between a 328i and a 335i. Right now im looking at a Blue 09 328i with 102k for 8 grand and a Black 07 335i with 112k for 12 grand, both are sticks.

I've been asking friends and coworkers on advice on which 1, my friends recommend the black on black 335i, but my coworker who owns a N55 355is DCT, who was modest who told me the 328i has way less maintenance problems than the 335i, he just has his coils replaced which were $200 (did it himself) plus his was car was misfiring a few months ago to as well, i don't know the cause of that but im pretty sure you 335i guys know for sure. Basically my dilemma is i want a race car (insert meme "because race car" here) 335i with out having my head over heels about maintenance and repair cost. I don't want to use my income for repairs or fixing stuff on the car which could've been used on building it, especially when i have a low budget trying to pay most or all of my family bills when living with my parents. Plus who races a 328?......

I've heard all the horror stories about the N54; 335i and all that, used to be a E34 owner myself there's nothing a little TLC wont fix. This 335 is a 1 owner, it had the fuel pump replaced, fuel injection sys cleaned, induction sys serviced, eng oil filter gasket replaced, drive belt tensioner in 2015 @ 88k miles. I just want to know if the rumors are true about replacing the turbos at 100k miles are necessary, having bad injectors, bad water pump, wastegate rattle.

It would be a pain to have to experience all these problems on the 335i, and if they are what are the chances? Is there a way to expect or avoid them if not, i would settle for the 328.

Thanks you guys for your patience and advice.

From Future E92 owner

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    The coil pack issue is probably the same one my 328 had. Not a big deal to replace. I'd have no problem going for either car but my preference was the 328; decent performance and a bit more economical.
    Almost any car can be raced just depends on your budget and what kind of experience you're looking for. I've seen low budget honda civics out run mustangs and corvettes in autocross.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I've owned an e39 540i, e90 335i, and now an e92 335i. If you want a 335i, you really need to be willing to tackle every single maintenance job yourself. Valve cover gasket, water pump, oil pan gasket, walnut blast, cam bearing ledges, turbos, injectors, etc. If you go to a shop, you'll be dropping a grand minimum. For turbos or bearing ledges it'll be more like three grand. If you do everything yourself, it's workable.

Racecars are for guys who have lots of disposable income, You do not want a racecar.

The 328i is more expensive to maintain than an e34, but still fairly reasonable. The 335i maintenance expenses are in an entirely different league. Keep in mind that all of the e9X vehicles are very sophisticated, so you need a computer for even simple tasks like a battery replacement.
    I would strongly suggest getting the 328i. That's a pretty decent price on the 328i. That 335i is hilariously overpriced. I got my 2009 335i m-sport coupe with half the miles for a lot less.
    I really recommend a pre-purchase inspection on any BMW.
    And for the love of God, don't finance a 335i.
    Last edited by RocketSurgeon; 11-15-2017 at 09:00 PM.

My Cars
    08 335i and 15 others...
    Pretty simple IceB, do you want a car that has OK power, will merge with freeway traffic just fine (328) or do you want a rocket with more power than needed for most traffic based manuvers(335)? Easy question for me, I'm a big motor guy but not everyone is

Slightly off topic Rocket but my battery is 3 years old and starting to crank the motor a little slow, what do you mean that you need a computer for replacement? It's on my list so I'd rather know now

AJ
    Last edited by NeedForBoost; 11-15-2017 at 10:41 PM.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedForBoost View Post
    Slightly off topic Rocket but my battery is 3 years old and starting to crank the motor a little slow, what do you mean that you need a computer for replacement? It's on my list so I'd rather know now
    AJ
    The car needs to be coded if you change the capacity or chemistry of the battery, and you need to register the new battery so the car knows to charge it differently. It charges a new battery gently, and an older battery more aggressively. If you don't register the new one, the car will kill it by overcharging. Best option is to get the same size battery and simply register it with Rheingold.
    Bimmergeeks.net/downloads

My Cars
    95 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    I've owned an e39 540i, e90 335i, and now an e92 335i. If you want a 335i, you really need to be willing to tackle every single maintenance job yourself. Valve cover gasket, water pump, oil pan gasket, walnut blast, cam bearing ledges, turbos, injectors, etc. If you go to a shop, you'll be dropping a grand minimum. For turbos or bearing ledges it'll be more like three grand. If you do everything yourself, it's workable.

Racecars are for guys who have lots of disposable income, You do not want a racecar.

The 328i is more expensive to maintain than an e34, but still fairly reasonable. The 335i maintenance expenses are in an entirely different league. Keep in mind that all of the e9X vehicles are very sophisticated, so you need a computer for even simple tasks like a battery replacement.
    I would strongly suggest getting the 328i. That's a pretty decent price on the 328i. That 335i is hilariously overpriced. I got my 2009 335i m-sport coupe with half the miles for a lot less.
    I really recommend a pre-purchase inspection on any BMW.
    And for the love of God, don't finance a 335i.
    Well its gonna be my daily, i dont have a car atm. I live in California, thats the average price for a 335i, the cheapest one i saw was in L.A for 8k with over 150K miles on it lol. I know what you mean, i changed my fuel pump, power steering pump, head gasket, serpitine belt all on my E34. The fuel pump i actually had help on, had to find a mobile mechanic, he drove a red E30 M3. He showed up to my house fixed it on the spot costed about $80 to swap it out.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedForBoost View Post
    Pretty simple IceB, do you want a car that has OK power, will merge with freeway traffic just fine (328) or do you want a rocket with more power than needed for most traffic based manuvers(335)? Easy question for me, I'm a big motor guy but not everyone is

AJ
    Thing is im not trying to build an actual race car; sorry for the misconception, i just want to build it. Obviously i dont want the car to be stock; because its too boring and life's to short for stock lol. I just want to buy a few parts and get a tune, you can't get far with a N52 motor being a N/A. A ESS kit is like 5 grand, i've seen a turbo charged n52 it wasn't a aftermarket kit; it was more home built at a garage , i guess you can say im mechanically inclined, but not that inclined.

Out of all honesty the n52 has what 240hp from factory, and if i do a exhaust and a intake; (i dont know how much a smartchip runs or how much it cost) i'll probably be at 250hp, if i try to race a 370z or a Ford RS im gonna lose lol. All of my friends just got new cars, 10 'camaro ss, 14' Genesis Coupe, Mk6 GTI, 13' 300 SRT, 370z plus a few family members to.

Hell if i race a Civic Type R im finna Lose lmao
    Last edited by Icebruner; 11-16-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: .