Thread: Optimal Firmness Setting and Rear Spring Perch Height: Koni Yellows and Eibach

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.

Optimal Firmness Setting and Rear Spring Perch Height: Koni Yellows and Eibach

Greetings! My car -- an '03 540 -- is getting a new clutch and suspension overhaul at my mechanic's tomorrow. I'm hopeful to get input from you folks about:

• What firmness setting to go with in the Konis?
    • What spring perch to use on the rear Konis?

What do you think? If possible, I'd love your comments by tomorrow (Thursday, November 15th).

Many thanks!

--Peter
    '03 540i-6
    153k mi; bought April ‘07 w/38k mi
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    2003 540i6 M-Sport
    Every shock is different. Unless you have the damping measured there is no way to know how it will drive other than feel. Maybe keep the tray dissasmbled for a while and find out what setting you prefer?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by peter540 View Post

• What spring perch to use on the rear Eibachs?
    Springs get perches, shocks get mounts ;^)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Thanks, GG, but there are several members here running this setup. I'm eager to hear where they landed. For most, it appears:
    * They have set the c-clip for the perch on the rear shocks at the lowest setting (default from Koni is the middle position)
    * Fronts set at full soft minus 1/2 turn (180 deg.), and rears at 1/2 turn from full soft. (Koni recommends against leaving the at either end)

Unless anyone running this setup chimes in with a strong opinion to the contrary, I'm going to tell the shop to go with this setting when they do the install today. REALLY wish I could be there, but work calls.

--P
    '03 540i-6
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Personally I went with 1/2-3/4 from full soft on the fronts and 3/4 from full soft again in the rear.

Optimal firmness would be 3/4 from soft really no more if you're on eibachs too. It gets firm pretty quick!

For OEM springs I used the lower perch as the middle was too high, so for eibachs I would suggest the middle setting.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    Personally I went with 1/2-3/4 from full soft on the fronts and 3/4 from full soft again in the rear.

Optimal firmness would be 3/4 from soft really no more if you're on eibachs too. It gets firm pretty quick!

For OEM springs I used the lower perch as the middle was too high, so for eibachs I would suggest the middle setting.

Thanks! Good to hear about the middle perch. My mechanic believes that we should start there, and if we're too high, we can go to the lower perch without having to remove the shocks and springs -- he'll get the car in the air, unloading the suspension, and move the c-clip to the lower perch.

--P
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    I'll check back in tomorrow morning. I have my setting written down at my desk at work

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyansBMW View Post
    I'll check back in tomorrow morning. I have my setting written down at my desk at work
    Fantastic, Ryan. Thanks! Do you know how your B&G S2 springs compare to the Eibach ProKits in terms of how much they lower the car?

--Peter
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    In the rear, I am running on the lowest perch setting with 1.5 turns from full soft.

In the front, I believe I am at 1 turn from soft.

I dont have any experience with the Eibach springs so I am not sure how they compare to my B&G springs.

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Thanks, Ryan! And in looking at the specs for your B&G springs, it appears that for your car 530 Sport, the drop is rated at 1.25" for both the front and the rear. For the 540 (they don't have a separate rating for the 540 Sport), the drop is rated at 1.6" front, 1.0" rear (I suspect the drops would be less for Sports, even though they don't list that model).

http://bgsuspension.apps-1and1.com/w...de-Springs.pdf

In other words, with my drop being rated at even less than yours in the rear, it would suggest the lower perch is the only choice to make in my case.

Sound about right?

--P
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    How are the rears adjusted on the vehicle?
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdiefAZ View Post
    How are the rears adjusted on the vehicle?

Sorry for the late reply. Apparently the only way to adjust the rears is to remove them from the car, separate them from the spring, fully compress the shock, and then turn the shaft. Crazy how involved it is -- especially compared to the Fortune Auto coil-overs I had the shop remove. The rear FAs had extenders on them for adjusting their firmness that I routed through the seat belt slots in the parcel shelf. Super easy to change the setting without removing ANYthing. I'll miss that feature, even though I only needed to use the extenders to initially set the firmness.

I pick up my car on Monday. Here's hoping 1/2 turn from full soft suits my needs!

--Peter
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    00 540i 6MT, 06 911 C2
    I'm running my rears on the lower c-clip position also.

I started at 1/4 turn from full soft on all 4 corners. The front was still too bouncy so I have the moved up to 3/4 from full soft on the fronts. I'm still planning on going to a full revolution from full soft on the fronts.

Adjusting the rears is a nightmare given all the work required. So I won't be doing those until I have some real reason to go through all the crap of removing the rear shocks.

Also I'm using H&R sport springs not Eibachs so my rebound setting may not be appropriate in your case.

Derek

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Finally picked up the car today. Although the roads on the drive back home were fairly smooth, I could still tell that the ride quality was greatly improved.

The one thing I may end up wishing I'd done differently is that I went with the lower perch on the rears. For my tastes, I think I'd have preferred the look the middle perch would have afforded.

Question: Has anyone found a way to raise the perch without removing the shock/spring assembly from the car? It's a real PITA to do that, otherwise.

I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them; it was too dark for that this evening.

--P
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    I can't seem to upload photos. Is something wrong with this web site?

--P
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Still trying to post pictures, to no avail.
    Last edited by peter540; 11-22-2017 at 12:13 AM.
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Still no pics.

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Still no pics.
    I know -- I can't get them to upload. FRUSTRATING!

But I can tell you this: the ride with this new setup is vastly superior to the FAs in terms of compliance. And it's nice to go over bumps and not feel/hear the right rear bottom out.

Have you switched your setup out yet, Auaq?

--P
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Still no pics.
    I know -- I can't get them to upload. FRUSTRATING!

But I can tell you this: the ride with this new setup is vastly superior to the FAs in terms of compliance. And it's nice to go over bumps and not feel/hear the right rear bottom out.

Have you switched your setup out yet, Auaq?

--P
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2018 Macan Turb
    I would set Koni’s to whatever Dinan dials them in to. I spent an entire day replacing dampers in my E39, what a PIA. Went with B12 kit, works great and no adjusters.
    PCA HPDE Instructor
    current:
    2004 M3 convert 6sp man - low mileage beauty!

past:
    1995 BMW M3 3.2
    2004 M3 convert SMG
    2003 BMW 540i6 Alpine White M sport (I want her back!)

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Not yet. I'm going back to stock suspension. I have the front and rear struts already. Just have to find the time after hours and swap those in and sell the FA's.