Thread: Bluetooth?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Bluetooth?

Hello,
    I recently acquired a 2001 740i Sport with 6 speed Manual as a second car to slowly restore it to more of a pristine level.
    Only thing I wish it had is bluetooth. I would like to use it to make phone calls and stream music only, I do not need anything displayed.
    My car came with Nav and CD changer,

What would be the simplest and easiest way to integrate bluetooth function without hacking up the interior? (no new headunit)
    I heard you can retrofit OEM but also heard that you cannot stream music through it.
    any help would be really appreciated.
    Thank you!

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Hi, I have a set up that might work for you. I was going to install it in my 2001 with wide screen nav but decided to go another direction. Shoot me a PM. Thanks

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    I have GROM Audio kit installed in my E38 which came with DSP. In my other car I have Yatour kit. Both has bluetooth, A2DP streaming capability, hands free function, remote steering wheel controls, playback from USB/SD card, AUX-in etc.
    Fitting any of these units is a simple plug and play process. The choice is yours, both products will suit your needs.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    You can easily add bluetooth and streaming with the mentioned GROM kit or BSW Soundplicity.

OEM like options (though expensive) would be the OEM Bluetooth kit and a Carphonics BM53 unit.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    E38 7er, E46 M3
    I don’t really care about bluetooth calling because people can’t hear you clearly from the microphone so I will install a late built BM53 module and the Miccus Minijack RX bluetooth receiver right by it. That’ll enable the factory AUX capability on the screen and the bluetooth will take care of the handsfree music.

GROM unit is nice, my friends use it.

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    In my e38 I did a factory TCU for the phone and a GROM BT-3 for streaming.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    I did the GROM which was pretty easy and works well enough. Not sure how great the mic is but people tell me I sound okay/fine. Minor comment, at least when I did mine last year: You can't turn off the nav screen display when on GROM. Sometimes at night I like to turn the monitor/display (I have the widescreen) off, but, GROM turns it right back on in 1-2 seconds.
    '01 325Ci Convertible, 5-speed
    '01 740iL, Stahlblau with beige interior & 18" M-Pars, GROM bluetooth
    '03 X5 3.0 six cyl, Gray on gray

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by jpilk99 View Post
    I did the GROM which was pretty easy and works well enough. Not sure how great the mic is but people tell me I sound okay/fine. Minor comment, at least when I did mine last year: You can't turn off the nav screen display when on GROM. Sometimes at night I like to turn the monitor/display (I have the widescreen) off, but, GROM turns it right back on in 1-2 seconds.
    There is a fix for this. GROM can send you a file to download to the unit.

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Way cool. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '01 325Ci Convertible, 5-speed
    '01 740iL, Stahlblau with beige interior & 18" M-Pars, GROM bluetooth
    '03 X5 3.0 six cyl, Gray on gray

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by wutanec View Post
    ...I heard you can retrofit OEM but also heard that you cannot stream music through it....
    True. However nothing integrates quite as nicely as an OEM Bluetooth system. My write-up:

Like others, you could go with Grom for streaming. Why both? Because aftermarket systems require your radio to be continuously 'on' and in CD mode for any Bluetooth functionality, while an OEM system is completely independent of your radio.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    True. However nothing integrates quite as nicely as an OEM Bluetooth system. My write-up:

Like others, you could go with Grom for streaming. Why both? Because aftermarket systems require your radio to be continuously 'on' and in CD mode for any Bluetooth functionality, while an OEM system is completely independent of your radio.
    Frankie +1

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38

I was using Frankie's write up to assemble the parts (which I have) before I decided to follow what Franco and Chief Jimbo were doing.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

I read your article regarding the bluetooth on your website. Thank you so much for the information.

so what happens you get a call while you are listening to music through Grom?
    does it switch back to factory bluetooth when you receive a call?

My Cars
    00 BMW 750
    I read your article regarding the bluetooth on your website. Thank you so much for the information.

I would think you can't be connected to bluetooth to both devices at the same time, so if you're using your grom, i suppose you'd get your call through GROM.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Yes, it should. I don't have both in my car so I can't speak directly to how these two systems interact. But I do know all radio audio mutes during calls, although both systems will capture the incoming call (since both are paired). Therefore the Grom unit should not be audible. (In this case, use the stock mic in the headliner, not a Grom mic.)

Keep in mind, you could opt for an aux-in for music (in place of CD changer), which may be less expensive. This avoids data loss from compression resulting in a slightly better sound.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    14 F01 750i 14 F10 550i
    Nothing beats the OEM TCU retrofit for hands-free telephone. I have a couple of TCU's available.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Anybody know the part number of the latest TCU still fitting into an E38? There seems to be like 20 different part numbers, hard to figure. Thanks!

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    Anybody know the part number of the latest TCU still fitting into an E38?
    p/n 84 10 9 195 455

But you don't want it...it's too expensive. Discount online parts houses sell them for over $600, and they're rare on eBay. If they do appear on eBay, I'd be surprised if they're much less. Older TCUs built between 2005 and 2008 work well and are much more common, and cost less than half as much.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    95 840Ci
    What's the difference?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Current
    95 e31 840 Ci (Auto) Orient Blue 61k
    11 e90 328i Space Gray
    18 F15 X5 35i XDrive White

Past
    00 e38 740 i (Auto) Titanium Silver
    94 e31 840 Ci (6 speed conv.) Avus Blau (This car was Awesome!)
    03 e46 325 Ci (Auto) Jet Black
    91 e31 850i (Auto) Diamond Black, Yes, two!
    91 e31 850i (Auto) Diamond Black
    00 e39 528i (Auto) Jet Black
    92 e36 325i (Auto) Laguna Green

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    p/n 84 10 9 195 455

But you don't want it...it's too expensive. Discount online parts houses sell them for over $600, and they're rare on eBay. If they do appear on eBay, I'd be surprised if they're much less. Older TCUs built between 2005 and 2008 work well and are much more common, and cost less than half as much.
    Reading from all the post, I think the best way to set it up is to enable the factory bluetooth for the phone, and add AUX input for the music.
    I get how Bluetooth can be enabled reading from Frankie's website but how can the AUX be added (no tape deck)?

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    ...how can the AUX be added..?
    There are many sources. Doing an Internet search turns up options from BlitzSafe and Grom.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com