Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coilovers Need help Making Decision

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T

Coilovers Need help Making Decision

Well I'm about to order a full kit from Ground Control for my car but having a hard time pulling the trigger. My only concern is that they dont offer a separate ride height and spring preload perches. The options I have are GC, CA tuned & BC. Both CA & BC both have separate perches for adjustment unlike GC. The reason I am leaning to GC is because of the koni shocks and BC nor CA will devolve who they use for shocks. I was just quoted $1800 by CG to build a set of coils, but for $700 less I could stick with BC or GC.

I normal dont have this much trouble making a decision

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pofo View Post
    Well I'm about to order a full kit from Ground Control for my car but having a hard time pulling the trigger. My only concern is that they dont offer a separate ride height and spring preload perches. The options I have are GC, CA tuned & BC. Both CA & BC both have separate perches for adjustment unlike GC. The reason I am leaning to GC is because of the koni shocks and BC nor CA will devolve who they use for shocks. I was just quoted $1800 by CG to build a set of coils, but for $700 less I could stick with BC or GC.

What about ireland engineering?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    '80 320iS,'88 M3,'82Alfa
    GC made my coilovers for my 1980 e21. They built them to to my driving style and horsepower. I am extremity pleased with them and their adjust-ability. A first class product. You will not be disappointed with GC.

IMG_1739.jpgIMG_1738.jpg

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    What about ireland engineering?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That's another option but their similar to the GC set up and I'm not sure this is the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by rabobian View Post
    GC made my coilovers for my 1980 e21. They built them to to my driving style and horsepower. I am extremity pleased with them and their adjust-ability. A first class product. You will not be disappointed with GC.

IMG_1739.jpgIMG_1738.jpg

That's why I have contacted them and was leaning to their product. My only concern is not having a preload to the spring and also if you go to low their is a possibility of bottoming out the shock. I dont plan on having the car extremely low but would like to keep the 2/2.5" drop I have now.
    Last edited by pofo; 11-14-2017 at 10:15 PM.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320

GC is still a favorite and competitive setup for the price.

Discussed this in another post, but BC and CA = mainland china. Really surprised? Along with a slew of other so called sport suspensions. I group suspensions into 3 groups. You've the basic HR/Bilstein combo's and related stock spring replacements which get you about 80% improvement over a stock setup. Then there's the coil over middle setups which give maybe additional 10%; IMO GC and a few others are over majority of the Chinese knock off stuff. Last group is the top end coil over group like motons, and MCS (made by moton eng) setups where you need the last 10% handling capability in competition. The last 10% may not seem like a lot on paper but it's a world of difference with say solid bushed/heim joint setup on full slicks.

GC can use shorter shocks. Chop the housing and use a VW sport shock. True the oil reservoir is smaller and run the chance of over heating, but it's better than running out of travel. I used the VW rabbit bilsteins and chopped the strut 2 inches. Used a 2" spacer inside.
    Last edited by autox320; 11-15-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

GC can use shorter shocks. Chop the housing and use a VW sport shock. True the oil reservoir is smaller and run the chance of over heating, but it's better than running out of travel. I used the VW rabbit bilsteins and chopped the strut 2 inches. Used a 2" spacer inside.
    I did the same. I have made my own adjustable coilover sets for three E21s now. If it is to be street driven not sure why you need to spend so much money on them, unless it is for the eye candy effect.

Going with 2" springs and cutting the stock lower spring seats off makes room for bigger tires also.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 11-15-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    I did the same. I have made my own adjustable coilover sets for three E21s now. If it is to be street driven not sure why you need to spend so much money on them, unless it is for the eye candy effect.

Going with 2" springs and cutting the stock lower spring seats off makes room for bigger tires also.
    Not really for eye candy as you wont see them unless the wheel is off. But I just prefer having nicer things and I will be driving on the track couple times a year but yes it's mostly just a daily driver. I've considered building my own set, but I'm very close to the price for the BC or CAtuned products with out including my labor.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Not really for eye candy as you wont see them unless the wheel is off. But I just prefer having nicer things and I will be driving on the track couple times a year but yes it's mostly just a daily driver. I've considered building my own set, but I'm very close to the price for the BC or CAtuned products with out including my labor.

Eibach 8"x2" springs run about $66.00 ea. or less if you can find good used ones.
    Adjustable coil sets can be had for $45.00 to $100.00 ea. These come with the top hats.
    Rear Bilstein sports for about $99.00 ea.
    Bump stops are a different story.
    No fab work just R&R of old to new.

Fronts are more work & money.

My rear shocks (Bilstein two way adjustable) on the track car about $750.00 ea.

AS2- 3.jpg AS2- 11.jpg

We drove the track car in auto cross and track days for years on Bilstein sports and had a boat load of fun and car worked great. I learned the hard way with my first E21 (silver one) that tires are way more important then suspension up grades.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 11-15-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E21 320i, E30 325i
    We drove the track car in auto cross and track days for years on Bilstein sports and had a boat load of fun and car worked great. I learned the hard way with my first E21 (silver one) that tires are way more important then suspension up grades.
    Wait you mean my Kumho all-season tires aren't doing me any good in autocross?
    '81 E21 320i / '90 E30 325i / '̶9̶2̶ ̶E̶3̶4̶ ̶5̶2̶5̶i̶t (sold) / '15 Toyota XW30 / '̶̶8̶0̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶ ̶3̶2̶0̶i̶A̶ (sold)

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Eibach 8"x2" springs run about $66.00 ea. or less if you can find good used ones.
    Adjustable coil sets can be had for $45.00 to $100.00 ea. These come with the top hats.
    Rear Bilstein sports for about $99.00 ea.
    Bump stops are a different story.
    No fab work just R&R of old to new.

Fronts are more work & money.

My rear shocks (Bilstein two way adjustable) on the track car about $750.00 ea.

AS2- 3.jpg AS2- 11.jpg

It adds up fast and I would shorten the struts down and use rabbit shocks. I agree tires are everything as this is the only contact with the ground. I have summer tires Bridgestone Potenza 195 50 15 and 205 50 15.

I also could use an Nissan S13/14 coilovers also

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by amarino View Post
    Wait you mean my Kumho all-season tires aren't doing me any good in autocross?
    Really sorry to say Alejandro they are not.... LOL

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    pofo, its really unfair to ask such a question and not describe how you drive, although you did mention going to the track once or twice.

therefore if you have track duty in mind your three options are really only one option - ground control and koni !

and if you even think about pushing the car on city streets your three options are really only one option - ground control......you get the picture.

these other setups with their 9 way adjustables and 57.5 clicks are garbage, period! there I've said it. bc and others are targeting the bling crowd, the guys sitting in the parking lot with a tire removed......just in case anybody wants to see their shiny. why do you think you can buy bc's and ca's for the same money as building your own?

i really don't know how much drop 2.5" is anymore, but i do know when its too low and that's probably around 2.5", there's plenty of conversations about that so i won't go into it here. what i will say though is if you're looking for a better handling car you do not, i repeat, do not have to cut the struts. using the proper length springs, adjustable spring perches and some short dampers you can dial in the perfect ride height for comfort and performance. going low is for fools that convince each other that they are....

one more thing, vw billies are not the only trick in town, you should look into koni. it is of my opinion that koni yellow is a much better product the bilstien sports. the graphs that i have seen show billy and koni to be equal in hard and fast stuff, but for small irregular surfaces like public streets the konis are so much more comfortable. after spending 40 something years on billies i had finally kicked them aside, then recently i put them on my tocoma 4x and boy am i regretting that decision.
    Last edited by Tom D; 11-15-2017 at 10:49 PM.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Tom is right there's the shorter koni from a VW also. Actually GC uses the exact part number of a VW rabbit koni sport (sp), but claim it's valved a bit higher. I'll take their word for it. A clue is if can put over 400 lb springs on them.

True on the too low ride height. I keep saying it, and what really happens is the front control arms go beyond perpendicular to the road for bad handling. About that time the control arm also smacks the front frame. In the rears can just dump the body too low where the rear shock is out of travel. Basically making a infinite spring Good stuff. Whatever you chose to do make sure the bump stops are trimmed so not riding on them constantly.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    I am running Shorter Koni in the front on shortened strut housings. I also shortened the front sub frame 1in. Rear I am running QA1 promo star coil overs.

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    koni told me about 10 years ago that they up the diameter of the VW inserts, seems the rabbit crowd was complaining about a rattle and because of the increase they no longer fit into 45mm tubes. i did a tread spelling out the particulars. I'm using koni yellows designed for the mk1 MR2 rear.
    Last edited by Tom D; 11-16-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by m60b30530i View Post
    .......I also shortened the front sub frame 1in.....
    this is the key if you want 2.5" of drop because now in reality you've only dropped the suspension 1.5" I'm not sure how much you can lower the subframe, but i did study it, nic did a write up once with pictures.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    I will have to look into it. Do you have a link to the thread if it still exists.

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    ......I have 195 50 15 and 205 50 15......
    this is another problem if your going to the track. it takes a good deal of money and time to stop the E21 from plowing, stagger tires mean even more money and time.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    this is another problem if your going to the track. it takes a good deal of money and time to stop the E21 from plowing, stagger tires mean even more money and time.
    I am in need of tire so next summer and I planned on getting some sticky rubber, was hoping to fit 215 if I can on all 4 corners. These tires came on the wheels when I bought them and they had some life left so I just threw them on. I have the Volvo calipers with upgraded pads front and rear, but really want to go with a willwood setup mostly because they look awesome and hopefully they will be a little lighter.

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    I am in need of tire so next summer and I planned on getting some sticky rubber, was hoping to fit 215 if I can on all 4 corners. These tires came on the wheels when I bought them and they had some life left so I just threw them on. I have the Volvo calipers with upgraded pads front and rear, but really want to go with a willwood setup mostly because they look awesome and hopefully they will be a little lighter.
    I have the volvo calipers sitting in a box but I too feel like they are on the heavy side. I really have no issues stopping with the factory setup. Ill probably order a set of early calipers so I can use my vented rotors.

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    I have been talking with GAZ over in the UK. They seam to be a little cheaper than GC. Does anyone have any info or a review of them? I am having a hard time finding reviews.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Ground Control look really good and as was mentioned there is optional setups, Koni yellows option looks good,, you have to decide full race option, street option and so forth. If your going to auto-x or roadrace,, take a ride in go cart and study its dynamics, even if you know what there is , it can add something and usually does, twin engine ones. There is questions you can answer. Here is one, Does lifting the front inside tire around a turn help in getting around the turn sooner on the inside track of the turn say within one wheel of the turn infield still on the pavement ? How about two wheels in distance same as one wheel in distance, faster or slower ? Another Question what angle and what speed is optimal to go into a turn and come out of with the pedal to the metal for this hp and so forth and have it in control. ? You'll quickly arrive at what is called "a line" for your vehicle around the track or pylons, in case you didnt know it before hand.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 11-18-2017 at 11:34 PM.

My Cars
    79 E21 320i, 99 E38 740i
    I purchased BC coilovers from FCP Euro for $890 with a discount code at the time of purchase. FCP Euro honors anything and everything they sell with a life time replacement warranty, something no other coilover retailer/dealer was willing to offer or match SO with that said I couldn't pass up an awesome deal on coilovers for less than $1k and never having to pay for rebuilds or repairs of my coilovers for life.

The BC coilovers are great. You can lay frame for stance purposes because they go wicked low if you're into that 'scene'. Now for performance, they perform amazingly. With the 32-way adjustable dampening nob on top you can adjust them to cater street or track settings. I purposely run mine on the softer side for more ride comfort. Yes, I had to cut and weld them to the front knuckle, no big deal. Overall, no complaints on my end!

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    To be honest I ended up buying the BC with upgraded Swift springs. I can always upgrade to a custom built set when I out grow them at the track. But my thoughts was plain and simple Ground Control kit or BC kit and new snowboard. I went with a new snowboard and coilovers as I ride almost every weekend. Plus I'm not suck with them forever.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

What do they look like ? Any pictures ?

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast