Thread: Other preventative maintenance done with valve cover gasket

My Cars
    2009 335i

Other preventative maintenance done with valve cover gasket

I am going to be doing my valve cover gasket on my N54 with almost 100,000 miles on it. I have only had the car for the last 7000 miles and have been doing various maintenance items as I have time. Any recommendations on any other maintenance items that should be done or are easier to do when doing the valve cover gasket?
    I have also ordered the parts to do the oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets and will probably do at the same time as the valve cover.

Thanks guys.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I was going to strongly recommend the Oil filter housing gasket, but it looks like you're already planning that. Since the ofhg requires removal of the intake manifold, it would be a good opportunity to walnut blast.

My Cars
    2009 335i
    I would love to do the walnut blast but I don't have access to a compressor unfortunately. I would imagine that it is a lot of carbon built up in there.

My Cars
    e90 328i and e36 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff91121 View Post
    I am going to be doing my valve cover gasket on my N54 with almost 100,000 miles on it. I have only had the car for the last 7000 miles and have been doing various maintenance items as I have time. Any recommendations on any other maintenance items that should be done or are easier to do when doing the valve cover gasket?
    I have also ordered the parts to do the oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets and will probably do at the same time as the valve cover.

Thanks guys.
    Sparkplugs could be good to get out of the way if you haven't changed them in a while.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    If you do olugs, i recommend verifying their gap. Ive seen double gap on new purchase.

Otherwise, I have no input on on this being a bit of a newbie.

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    I will mention what I did. Not necessarily you will have to follow the same depending on your cars health.

Walnut blast- intake valves cleaning
    Spark plugs and coils
    Transmission fluid (6spd manual)
    Differential fluid
    Coolant replace
    Brake fluid flush
    Power steering fluid replace
    Cabin filter replace
    Transmission mount change and of course oil change.

92k miles and runs great as new.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    90 535i 08 335i
    Don't forget to do your spark plug tube seals when you pull the valve cover. They don't always go bad, but I'd hate to have to go back in there to replace one at a later date... and at $18 for all 6 of them, its cheap insurance. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...AaArRNEALw_wcB

It is also a good time to replace or upgrade your PCV system, as you remove the hoses during that job.

I, like you, also did my oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler gasket at the same time as the VGC. It made sense, you're pulling a lot of the same stuff out of the way. At 100k miles, if you haven't changed your coolant hoses, I would def recommend going after all of those. When you do your oil cooler gasket, you'll be draining some coolant down anyway. Good time for a flush. I would also upgrade to this style fitting on your cylinder cooling hose: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-335i-11...dZZkyw&vxp=mtr

Also, if you haven't done your serp belt & pullies yet, that is another one I strongly suggest doing while you're in there. You probably have already, but if not, these things fail and can lead to serious engine damage due to the crank sucking the broken belt cords into the front seal... They work their way all through the engine and often times lead to complete failure.
    Last edited by RickyJxxx; 11-18-2017 at 11:42 AM.

My Cars
    2009 335i
    Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't think of the spark plug tube seals, thanks for that tip, just ordered them.
    I had the cylinder head hose fail at the fitting and had to be towed home. I just repaired it with a new hose, but I did buy that aluminum fitting and am going to install that next week as well.
    I've done a bunch of the items mentioned already, coils, plugs, diff, coolant, power steering fluid, cabin filter, brake fluid flush, pads, rotors. I've got a new filter and a case of tranny fluid and I might do that at the same time next week. I do need to do the serpentine belt. It looks fine but should do it regardless.
    I am tempted to buy a compressor from harbor freight to do the walnut blast but I really have no place to store a compressor and don't think the vacuum attachment and wand would arrive in time to do it next week anyway. Oh well, maybe do that over Christmas and beg or borrow a compressor.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Might be too late for your project now but those pancake nail gun compressors might work with those portable walnut shell media blasters on a small job like that. The compressor is fairly compact and easy to store. I use mine quite a bit for carpentry, wood flooring, and small demo jobs with an air hammer. I have a larger portable compressor for cabinet painting and small automotive painting (bumper covers, fenders, etc.). The smaller one wouldn't keep up with the air volume required for painting but it might just work to clean up the head. I've done commercial bead blasting before and there is something very satisfying about it so I'm kind of looking forward to getting a walnut blaster when the time comes.

My Cars
    2009 335i
    RickyJxxx
    Good call on getting the spark plug tube seals...I pretty much butchered most of those removing them.

Things have gone pretty smooth so far. I've replaced the OFH and oil cooler attachment gaskets, replaced the coolant return line fitting from the head with the aluminum one, replaced the upper radiator hose, installed the RB PCV valve and replaced the hard to access vacuum lines under the intake/airbox with silicone hoses and zip tied them to the fittings.
    Those back corner bolts on the valve cover are a bitch to reach.
    I was pleasantly surprised how clean everything was under the valve cover, no sludge or buildup. Can't say the same for the intake ports and valves, I need to walnut blast for sure in the near future.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E90 N52B30
    i am not sure if you will need sealant paste.
    I understand the coolant flush will need a vacum pump.
    i found following kit, but do I really need the oval part and gasket on the picture.
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...11127582245kt1
    I think if you remove the oil filter mount gasket you will need engine oil, it will spill on the serpentine belt.
    Please would an expert confirm on my suggestions? I am a newbie.
    would you please take pictures of your project? That would help a lot on this three.
    Does the other participants have pictures to share?
    Last edited by Rlequerica; 11-24-2017 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Missing last 3 sentences.

My Cars
    2009 335i
    I didn't use any sealant paste, from what I have read it is not recommended. '
    I used a simple hand transfer pump to suck the coolant out of the tank before I did the oil filter housing and upper radiator hose. I had about 2 drops of coolant come out. I also used the same pump to suck the oil out of the OFH once I removed the filter. I put a rag under it when I took it off and it caught the any oil that remained. Most of the oil came out of the oil cooler hoses but it still was not much.
    Do a google search for N54 oil filter housing gasket removal and if you have the oil cooler it is a little more complicated and you need another gasket where the oil cooler fitting attaches to the OFH.
    Let me know if you have any questions, I just finished all this stuff and I would be happy to help.
    I just realized that it looks like you have a 328, I have a 335, so different engines so not exactly sure if my experience will be that helpful.
    I would also recommend a torque wrench too, one that does inch pounds, probably a 1/4" drive with an adapter to fit 3/8" sockets. I used this one and it worked well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E90 N52B30
    thanks for answering.
    Could somebody please confirm if my 328i E90 N52 has CCV or PCV or both? Maybe not my model.
    I will change my valve cover and woul like to order the parts for that system.
    Rod Lequerica. - Miami FL
    2009 BMW 328i E90 LCI Sedan Type PH77
    Engine: 6cyl 3lt N52B30A - Auto Trans: GM GA6L45R
    VIN WBAPH775X9NM Plus 5 last serial numbers
    EL_LEQUE_DELAE@YAHOO.COM
    +1 (786) 239 1329)

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Maybe this movie will give you some insight what you will come across while replacing the valve cover gasket. Putting it back on can be a hassle if you don't be careful. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=xG0fHVKk5bE

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E90 N52B30

Oil Filter Housing OFH Gasket replace 2009 E90 N52 Sedan

Hello guys:
    When Replacing my Oil Filter Housing OFH Gasket, (my E90 328i 2009, N52 doesn’t come with oil cooler) I discovered another white rubber flat gasket located between the engine block and the “lower part of the OFH” ( shall I name it differently?, I think The OFH has two parts, the lower and the upper, they are separated by the OFH-Gasket).
    I guess that white flat rubber gasket is to seal the coolant; I have not removed that lower OFH part.... yet.
    It is dirty with oil, but It must be from the OFH gasket I am replacing, as inside that should be coolant and not oil.

I also noticed that the “cylinders head” ( shall I call it engine block upper half?) under the OFH-lower-half is dirty with oil.... would it be from the OFH-Gasket....How would I know if that “engine block gasket” is leaking?; now I have removed all the upper components: OFH and valve cover, and will replace the serpentine belt.... it will be a shame having to do it all again..... but removing the cylinder head, for sure is above a newbie skills and set of tools.

One thing I learned : NEVER add heavier oil 5W-40 nor thickeners to seal oil leakes .... the oil gunk no will obstruct many oil passages, stay with the BMW recommended 5W-30 CASTROL European formula (Dealer shops do)

What to do:
    1. just clean and degrease external engine block for future inspection?
    2. Tow it to a shop or dealer to finish my long job with valve cover (full of sludge, cannot imagine how the oil pan and oil pump will be), PCV, OFH, Belt, PCV, oil as oil pan replacement, , transmisión Fluid and filter replacement....the more I open the more I am finding in this 2009, 90k mi. ....
    PICTURES AND VIDEOS WILL FOLLOW.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=z4PIVyBr05I

Thank you !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rlequerica; 01-13-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: adding video and pictures
    EL_LEQUE_DELAE@YAHOO.COM
    +1 (786) 239 1329)

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i E90 N52B30