Thread: Gearbox / diff leak

My Cars
    bmw 325i e30

Gearbox / diff leak

Have a leak from the rear of my gearbox but looks like it is coming from above the output shaft seal?

Have a leak on one side of my diff but would have thought if it was the output shaft flange that it would not be damp ontop of the diff? I wondered if it might be coming from what I assume is the vent, looks like the vent has been hitting the swaybar at some point, I assume due to bad subframe bushings?

What do you think where are my leaks coming from (not enough to drip on the ground yet)

My Cars
    1990 e30 Vert, 2009 Pcar
    The differential leak could just be the cover seal. You need to clean the diff up as much as you can and remove all the dirt and grime. Then in a day take a look at the differential to see exactly where the leak is originating. I would conjuncture either cover seal or output flange leaking. If it’s the cover seal all you need to do is drain diff oil and pull the cover and rep[lace the paper seal. If it’s coming from one or both of the output flanges, then you will have to drain the oil, disconnect the axels and then pull the output flanges and replace the seals. I just refreshed my 3.73 LSD. I pulled the diff off the car, drained the oil, pulled cover, pulled clutch housing, opened clutch housing, replaced friction plates, replaced dog ears and replaced all the seals. ECS has a reasonable differential seal kit.

My Cars
    e30s
    You will need to remove the rear of the exhaust first only and drop it out of the way for the driveshaft - support the exhaust (remove the front of the shaft only and center support bearing possibly heat shields)you'll need to drain the fluid so you might as well check the condition of the old fluid and if there isn't an metalic appearance you're good. Remove the transmision mount support bracket and mounts - inspect them for condition - replace it bad; After removing the driveshaft hang it out of the way and remove the output flange nut; you may need a puller to remove the output flange. Replace the seal, reinstall the new flange seal and you will need a special shaft goop on the flange threads before re installing the flange. The torque is 125lbs torque. then back it off and retorque to 88lbs I believe but double check. Then you'll need a lock plate for the nut. And put everything back. Refill tranny fluid...

Might want to replace the shifter seal as well as they are very common for leaking.

inspect shifter linkage and any moving parts for wear..no need to go in there twice to do the job if you're already in there.