Thread: Am I wasting my time installing a Infinity Basslink? (Searched)

My Cars
    2000 540i

Am I wasting my time installing a Infinity Basslink? (Searched)

Title says it all. I've recently gotten fed up with the audio quality from my stock E39 non-DSP audio system.

For the longest time I was looking into getting a GAS PCN to add an amplifier and a subwoofer (in a nice enclosure that fired through my ski pass) since it sounded like that would have given me the best bang for my buck but it looks like those are no longer available.

I've recently stumbled across a used Infinity Basslink and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time installing it, given that it looks like it is very hard to make it fire through the ski pass. Thoughts??

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Do you have fold down rear seats?

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    I installed the bass link sub in my car last year. Really happy with it. Very easy install and provides clean tight punchy bass. If you like window shattering bass you probably won’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris
    -------------------------------------
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    2000 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Do you have fold down rear seats?
    Yes I do. Are you suggesting that I drive around with one of the seats folded down to get more bass into the cabin?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cnsorial View Post
    I installed the bass link sub in my car last year. Really happy with it. Very easy install and provides clean tight punchy bass. If you like window shattering bass you probably won’t like it.

Good to hear! Which amplifier kit did you use? Or does it come with an amplifier kit? Was there a specific DIY you followed? Which wires did you tap into?

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow92 View Post
    Yes I do. Are you suggesting that I drive around with one of the seats folded down to get more bass into the cabin?

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear! Which amplifier kit did you use? Or does it come with an amplifier kit? Was there a specific DIY you followed? Which wires did you tap into?
    It has its own built in amp. I tapped into the rear right and left speaker wires located at the stock amp.
    Chris
    -------------------------------------
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
    I think most versions of the Infinity Basslink are powered subs so they have a built in amplifier. Which one are you looking at?

fyi opening the door to the ski hatch to allow bass to more easily enter the cabin of the car should help. You probably also want to remove the ski bag if it is still there. You can remove ski bag and the door intact if you are patient I can send you some pics from when I disassembled mine last summer. You can also cut it if you don't care about keeping things intact/being able to put it back to how it was.

You may also want to experiment with placement of the Basslink to see where exactly gives you the best bass before you bolt it down.

fyi people have in the past, put a powered sub in the ski pass/armrest area so the sub is firing directly into the cabin. See this thread here. Keep in mind that was done with non-folding rear seats. Since you have folding rear seats you don't quite have the same depth there because on the non-folding seats the center of the seat with the armrest is thicker whereas the folding seats are flat. So you depending on the powered sub you use you may not be able to close the armrest like he could in that thread. But if you don't care about losing a little trunk space you can have the sub stick out into the trunk (provided it fits in the ski pass cutout). Or you could attach the powered sub to the back of the seat and have it fire through the ski pass.

While it may not give you as good bass as full sized sub in a box firing through the ski pass, it should be a nice improvement over stock.
    E39 2003 530i: SP, CWP, PP, Manual, Sunshades, Split folding rear seats, 17" Style 42s|
    UUC SSK & DSSR, Eibach sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Angel Ibright V3, ZHP illuminated shift knob, e38 Euro Armrest, Dice Media Bridge, spec.dock, OEM Mtech F&R bumpers, Hella Bi-Xenon (EVOX-R)

E28 1987 535is: Manual, Bilstein HDs, 16" Style 5v2 (from e38) [Sold]

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    I have a 12" MTX BGE12 subwoofer powered by a 100 watt mono Alpine amplifier. I also have the fold down rear seat option. When I drive normally with the seats up the bass is perfect for me. If I happen to go to the store for lumber or something that requires me to fold down the rear seats, the bass seems boomy and overpowering and I can't wait to get home and offload the cargo so I can close up the rear seats again. Bass wavelengths are anywhere from 56 feet at 20hz to 11 feet at 100hz. Whether you have an access port into the trunk or not the bass notes are getting into the cabin.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    If you want a DIY with pictures, check here & look for the BassLink Install:
    http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/

As mentioned by cnsorial, above, it does provide nicely enhanced/boosted bass. It won't rattle/shake the windows though.
    I have one in my 2000 740i (& the rheostat to adjust the loudness of the bass) & I really like it.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    2000 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    If you want a DIY with pictures, check here & look for the BassLink Install:
    http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/

As mentioned by cnsorial, above, it does provide nicely enhanced/boosted bass. It won't rattle/shake the windows though.
    I have one in my 2000 740i (& the rheostat to adjust the loudness of the bass) & I really like it.
    Awesome, thanks! Where did you mount it in your 2000 740i?

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    No, you should be fine. If you didn't have fold down rear seats, there would've been a metal firewall behind them blocking any bass from reaching the cabin.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Awesome, thanks! Where did you mount it in your 2000 740i?
    I mounted it under the trunk top shelf, basically upside down, in the back corner. This let me run the wires almost totally out of sight & behind the grey carpet like panels.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    98 323is, 03 540i
    For a powered sub option, take a look at the JL Audio MicroSub+ options:

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-sub...ified-microsub

Not going to shake the Earth, but they are some of the best self amplified systems I've heard. The CP110 and CP112 versions are fantastic and the CP108 is remarkable considering the size.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    For the longest time I was looking into getting a GAS PCN to add an amplifier and a subwoofer (in a nice enclosure that fired through my ski pass) since it sounded like that would have given me the best bang for my buck but it looks like those are no longer available.
    Thankfully because they were true P'sOS and you'd have wasted your money and time.

I've recently stumbled across a used Infinity Basslink and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time installing it, given that it looks like it is very hard to make it fire through the ski pass. Thoughts??
    FWIW, you don't need a self contained option to upgrade the sub... Pretty easy to add amp/sub. But the self-powered has its ease of install benefits as well. Either way the tip is be sure to drive it off the 'raw' left / right channels coming back from the headunit, not the factory amp sub-output which is cut off from real lows in the signal.

If you have a non-DSP car the upgrade to amps and speakers is actually much easier as long as you can accept the basic concept that going to a 2-way in the front is going to be both easier AND sound better and you don't need / want the factory 3-way...

Here's another current thread on upgrading with a lotta info and thoughts from me and DaveSal and others... just note its EASIER on your non-DSP because you actually already have 4 channels of output from the head unit to the amp unit.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...pgrade-Opinion

BTW agree with the remarks that you shouldn't be caught up at all about "fire through the ski hole"... that's totally unnecessary and even possibly overkill/bad/boomy/crappy. Which actually frees you up in choices of products and installation.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2002 540i
    I got a new gas pcn text me 8182595380

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhoopsbmw View Post
    I got a new gas pcn text me 8182595380
    '
    LOL "Text jbhoops for a bad time".
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    '
    LOL "Text jbhoops for a bad time".
    Lol.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer