Thread: Semi-noob looking at a free '89 635CSi for free... questions on "a few little things"

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46

Semi-noob looking at a free '89 635CSi for free... questions on "a few little things"

Hello, first post on this list. Not a noob to BMW-land, I've had over two dozen older bimmers including 15 2002's, Bavaria, 3.0CS, '79 euro 635CSi with close ratio 5-speed, E36 'vert, E28 533i, E32 735i, E46 325xi.... Do almost all my own work, as one would have to with that varied and numerous bimmers, present and past. Note that only one was made in this millenium. Clearly I'm well established in the third-tier market. That's okay with me, so on to the matter at hand.

I've been offered a free, running, black with gray leather '89 635CSiA... with no title. Visually the car is in pretty nice shape, has been garaged and though it needs a wash and wax these are not critical. The current "owner" has done nothing to the car during his ownership and now, having to move, has to divest, pronto. Amazingly the car still has the original TRX rims and tires, all five of them. The tires have good tread but at that age may not last long if driven regularly. The TRX's are a bad sign but it's the hand I'm dealt; now I have to place a bet or fold, losing nothing. I remember the E28 and E32 having massive, life-threatening shimmy issues, both of them had TRX's (and maybe bent rims or severely out of balance tires). Sold both of those without resolving the shimmy but enjoyed both for a time. The E32 was so smooth at 85... which I didn't do frequently, living on an island that's 20 miles by 30, with a million of my closest friends. Hopefully these are the largest single issue, but not one to worry about until it's a legal runner.

I think I can deal with the title issue (at worst I donate the car) but of course there are some "little things". The AC doesn't blow cold but has a label indicating conversion; given the age and lack of care I can hope it just needs a recharge. The brakes don't stop the car well, I put this down to discs and pads that may need some cleaning, no problem. On a test drive the battery cable fell off and suddenly there were very little brakes... managed to stop without resorting to impact braking, easily fixed with a new battery clamp. The driver's door handle has supposedly fallen down into the door; don't use the power window until the door panel comes off and things are reassembled, can do. Driver's side rear window doesn't work, I'm 6'6" so no one will sit behind me. Other windows work well as does the sunroof.

Car has the AC unit between the back seats, which I think takes up far too much room for something that doesn't function. What's required to remove this? Will have to recharge the system anyway so no loss if it's opened to remove the rear AC. I'm a "roll the windows down, stupid" kind of guy but need the wife's support so the AC should work at least in front.

The only real immediate mechanical problem and reason I'm posting is a "clunk" on the right rear going over bumps. I can reproduce this by heaving that corner when parked and the noise is "obviously" coming from near the top of the shock, suggesting a bad bushing. Other posts (I've only just starting looking) suggest the bushing as well. But I know some of these cars came with self-leveling suspension; how difficult (and expensive) is it to replace the SLS with normal shocks and what are the options for shocks?

Immediate problem is to assess getting title to the car, all else is nothing. Though these cars can be hard to flip nowadays I'm counting on the nice paint, clean interior and relative apparent lack of major issues to keep me above water. So is it "Welcome to my nightmare" or "Run don't walk" with the clunk and AC?
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    These are good problems to have: Dump the crappy factory wheels, get 16-18" BMW wheels off Craigslist, often with serviceable tires, for cheap. Window and lock issues on these cars are relatively cheap and simple. Spring for new filters, plugs, Mustang injectors, maybe Shogun chip if he makes one for this particular M30 engine/Motronic, buff out the paint with Griot's or Porter Cable random orbital polisher and polish. The paint quality of these cars is better than newer BMWs, so if not sun damaged too badly and with clearcoat OK, this car can be made to look virtually new. Brakes update nicely with E34 540i or E32 calipers. Cut 1-1.5 coils off the bottom of the springs to lower ~1-1.5" without significant if any ride quality loss, or get new stuff per recommendations here on Bimmerforums. BavAuto and others have what you need.

This all presumes that Craigslist Hawaii and eBay have decent offerings, but this is typically a scavenger hunt which requires time and patience to find suitable stuff.

You're lucky the AC has been converted, so Walmart R134 plugs and plays for cheap, but vacuuming the system, fixing any leaks, etc. is prudent so the new refrigerant doesn't just leak out like the old stuff did. Better perhaps, but controversial, is use of RedTech or propane as refrigerant, with proper sealant and lubricant included. Propane is actually a more efficient refrigerant than freon, does the job better with less pressure, so is less prone to leak out, and propane is cheap. (Please don't flame the idea until reading others' experience actually using it, which is perfectly legal even if freon manufacturers hate it for loss of income..)

Title: Here in WA State and presumably HI, you can get a new title with a notorized statement from the prior owner, and a state police inspection. They look for signs of tampering or theft, check records for same, and issue a new title if all is copacetic. Not expensive.
    Last edited by Dash01; 11-13-2017 at 02:08 PM.

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    The "shimmy of death" is from worn control arm bushings, not the wheels. Most likely easily resolved if occurs.

'84 Euro 635CSi Polaris/Pacific, for sale (maybe)
    Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Gents:

Thanks for the excellent advice, but this car was to be a minimial-expense item from the start. I say "was" because a trip to the local DMV to assess the requirements for renewing registration (plates supposedly turned in back in 2006) turns up no such record. This means I'd have to pay back taxes for 11 years, and to get up to date there would be $1800. Add transfer fee, late fee, insurance, and a free car turns into a pig in a poke. Damn it was too good to be true. Well I still have the E46 and E9 to motor about with.

The only faint possibility is if I can refute the City's claim of plates not turned in. This would require me to find the PO and whatever he has to say, and there are only a million peeps here on island. The PO may not be one of them.

Sprocket, the "shimmy of death" is aptly named but I changed all the bushings in that early E32, which had at least a pair more than later cars. I busted my knuckles changing bushings and it still had the classic E12 platform shimmy of death. Never changed the rims and tires, that's all that was left .... it's gone. Gas mileage like that... well... is best paid by someone else. Hawaii has historically had the highest gas prices in the USA although lately some areas seem to be up there with us. Blame it on lack of competition, and corruption of local officials if you have that political bent. Over and out! Want another 2002.

Sprocket, BTW my '79 euro 6er looked just like yours, but with rust and faded paint. Interior leather seemed to have been rattle-can resprayed too. Nice car but cosmetics lacking. Sold for a minor profit, years ago.
    Last edited by Honolulu; 11-13-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.