Thread: Ignition tumbler jammed, little help?

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46

Ignition tumbler jammed, little help?

I am driving the 6 since my regular daily driver (the M5) is in pieces to spiff up/fix some various things all at once, and the MAF is across the country being refurbed (new ones are $2k now!), the windshield and back window is out, etc... so of course this happens now....

When I put the key in the ignition, it will not turn. Not even a tiny bit. There were a few times, literally over the last year or so, when it seemed to "stick" a little when turning the key, but just trying again "fixed" it and it turned normally. Not today, however. It will not budge. It was fine and then stuck. I have 2 spare keys, and they do not work either. I sprayed some graphite in there....no dice. And to make matters worse, thinking maybe the steering lock was doing something, I turned the wheel a little and it locked. Something tells me I should not have done that....

So....I have the bottom cover off and found the little screw to release the switch, but nothing is going to happen unless I can unlock the column, which requires turning the key, which won't.

Any tips on getting the tumbler out? Will that release the column lock? I am sure I will likely need to get a new tumbler unless something is obviously fixable, but remember I need this car to drive now, if at all possible. I maybe be able to start it with the switch out, but I can't drive if I can't turn the wheel....

Help?

'84 Euro 635CSi Polaris/Pacific, for sale (maybe)
    Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Mine has done that, but only when the steering wheel has been turned slightly after the key is pulled out. Is that the problem with yours? Try moving the steering wheel slightly to relieve the tension in the lock and see if that helps.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
    '87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    Quote Originally Posted by dcains View Post
    Mine has done that, but only when the steering wheel has been turned slightly after the key is pulled out. Is that the problem with yours? Try moving the steering wheel slightly to relieve the tension in the lock and see if that helps.
    Thanks, yeah I have tried all the usual wiggles and twitches... nothing.

Gonna spend a little time (didn't have any spare to begin with, but whatever) seeing if I can get the lock out. Maybe I'll learn a new profession as a result. Gonna steal one of your Alfa's..
    Last edited by Sprocket; 11-11-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)

My Cars
    1997 m3
    Since you said you had the bottom cover off, try to tap on the tumbler with a hammer while turning the key. Sounds like youll need another set of hands to relieve the tension off of the steering wheel since your steering is locked. Sometimes if you get lucky itll release whatever pin is stuck.

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    Thanks, I will that. Nothing a hammer can't fix, eh?

If that doesn't work, I am giving up. I have looked at how the lock is attached and it is bizarre. First, the bolts are shear bolts that have to be chisled off (lord knows what damage I would do with that, probably to myself) but it is attached to the upper column "trim" that is not really just trim but a big structural piece...blah, blah. I don't see how the lock comes out without taking all that apart, and that is after somehow dealing with the shear bolts. The 4 smaller ones don't look so bad (hah!) but there is a 5th that is bigger and flatter, and looks like a problem.

I have done this on my E36 (the lock/tumblers break), and it was a fairly big job, but this looks like more than I can do....

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    I can't get the tumbler out because I can't turn the key (which is logical but really annoying at this time). So, what happens if I just drill the dang thing out? I mean "carefully" of course... Has anyone done that?

At this point, I don't care if I need to replace the key lock/tumbler, as long as I can get the old one out somehow, I am fine with that.

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    Waiting to hear back from a locksmith, if anyone is still watching.... Not going to do this myself. I am surprised at my rational decision.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Is your column the older style? If so there is a way to remove the entire lock cylinder including the tumbler. But IIRC, the key needs to turn.
    Last edited by demetk; 11-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    demet

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Friend called me once b/c his Fourunner ignition was stuck. He'd parked nose down at full lock on a moderately steep driveway. Turning the wheel while fumbling wiith the key produced no result.

I went there with my jack, lifted both front wheels off the ground (unloading the front end) and Bob's yer uncle, off we went for an afternoon of surf.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    I had this problem in my first E34: A little tab inside the lock cylinder had broken and fallen down jamming the internals of the shaft assembly, so she would not turn, so no 60 degree rotation to insert an allen wrench of paperclip to remove the cylinder. I wiggled and jiggled the key and finally the bit dislodged, so I could rotate to insert the paperclip and finally get the lock out. With the broken bit out, the lock worked properly when re-installed. I replaced it just the same, with a pre-keyed unit from BMA parts, but BMA now says they no longer can get the pre-keyed lock cylinders from BMW.

The way this thing is designed, I have doubts that drilling it out will work, as the lock cylinder has spring loaded ears that stick out and secure it to the walls of the receptacle, and a drill bit won't affect that.
    Last edited by Dash01; 11-13-2017 at 01:40 PM.

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    Thanks, I have wiggled and jiggled till I can no more, believe me. I will have to hope removing the innards will somehow let me get the thing out, because I am not going to try to remove the lock/cylinder housing, just notgonna do it. If it comes to it, it will go to a shop but that I know is going to cost me $1k. Why? Because any trip to the shop costs $1k, that's why. Also, it will be fun to get it out of my garage (that's the only plus here, it happened at home, not in some parking lot), since the wheels are locked slightly turned to the right, and I don't think it's coming out...

Still starting with a locksmith (who has not called back yet).

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    And....it's fixed. Locksmith seems pessimistic/worried at first ("Hmmmm.... this one is a little unusual.." and "German engineering..." about the admittedly stupidly complex upper part of the column), but shockingly UPS showed up with the replacement tumbler about 5 minutes after he got here which helped him figure out how to drill it. Apparently there is an indicator of the place to drill a "pin-hole" that will release it. He finished before I expected so I did not see it happen, said it was unusually easy when he was done. New tumbler in and everything good.

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    That's VERY good to know!

Can you pls. post a picture showing exactly where and how this thing was drilled? That way, others can save a lot of time and effort fixing this problem, which surely will recur.
    Last edited by Dash01; 11-15-2017 at 01:29 PM.

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    If he left the old one, I definitely will. I was so relieved it was done and nothing destroyed I did not look at it. That was dumb of me....