Thread: My E87 120i rattle and sound like a diesel (help !)

My Cars
    2006 120i E87

My E87 120i rattle and sound like a diesel (help !)

Hi !
    Just bought my 2006 E87 120i, it's a second hand with 56.000km, automatic, bought it with oil leaks and some other problems, wasn't afraid because I planed to fix them. But I noticed a weird rattle when the engine was cold especially when putting the car in R or D while the brake is still depressed, once the rolled a bit or the engine is warm the rattle disappeared I replace alternator's pulley and I fixed this rattle. (thanks to bimmerforums !)

I also replaced the vacuum pump (oil leak) and also the chain tensionner just in case of (I ordered the 2017 model to be sure to have the last revision). I changed the deflection pulley because the bearing was noisy.

The problem is when the car is hot she rattle and it sound like a diesel and I hate diesel... I also own a Mazda 3 with 3 times more kilometers, same horsepower and she is so quiet that when idling that sometimes it's almost impossible to say if the engine is running !

I read many, many, many topics about rattle with N42/N46/etc... petrol engine sounding like a diesel etc... but without real solution or help.

No power loss or nothing noticeable.

What I did :
    -scan with Rheingold (no fault)
    -vanos solenoid unplugged (no change)
    -MAF unplugged (supposed to disable the valvetronic) : no change
    -DISA unplugged: no change (rattle seems to come from exhaust side not intake)

I'm not sure but I think that the noise is more audible under the car, I crawled underneath but wasn't able to locate the rattle (too noisy).
    I made a video :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-8jKzkF5-A
    You can see the torque converter (automatic), I think it's somewhere around (maybe himself) don't know...

Here is an other video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkziYMwhnA4
    forget the tik tik sound, please focus on the rattle. Please note I made this video before replacing the deflection pulley (noisy bearing, you can ear it)

The rattle came slowly with the engine warming up but it's also noticeable when cold but other noises cover it. Once the engine is warm the rattle is the most audible noise. The exhaust is stock (muffler, etc.) but I find it a bit loud (don't know if it's supposed to be) so I'm starting to suppose I have a crack somewhere, this morning I tried to block exhaust and surprise I wasn't able to stall the engine (didn't even drop rpm), I wasn't able to totally block the exhaust because of the pressure build-up. So I plan to make an other test with a vacuum cleaner and engine off to see if I have a leak.

What do you mean ? Can an exhaust leak make my petrol sound like a diesel ? Does someone know where the rattle come from ? Any idea ?

My Cars
    2006 120i E87
    With Audacity I'm analyzing the sound (slowing, down, filtering, amplifying, etc...) and I found that the frequency is around 1500Hz but the engine was hot and idling... what could make a noise at this frequency with the engine around 800rpm ?
    With Audacity I'm analyzing the sound (slowing, down, filtering, amplifying, etc...) and I found that the frequency is around 1500Hz but the engine was hot and idling... what could make a noise at this frequency with the engine around 800rpm ?

My Cars
    BMW E87 2007

I have the same issue, and i am pretty sure it is de AC Clutch

Today i woke up, turn on my beautiful e87 and a tac tac tac tac sound was activated, it was so weird because yesterday the car was pretty normal (its just bad luck)... , i am trying to figure it out how to deactivate the AC meanwhile i order another pump from ebay, i would like to help you more but thats all further info

Quote Originally Posted by NutTom View Post
    Hi !
    Just bought my 2006 E87 120i, it's a second hand with 56.000km, automatic, bought it with oil leaks and some other problems, wasn't afraid because I planed to fix them. But I noticed a weird rattle when the engine was cold especially when putting the car in R or D while the brake is still depressed, once the rolled a bit or the engine is warm the rattle disappeared I replace alternator's pulley and I fixed this rattle. (thanks to bimmerforums !)

I also replaced the vacuum pump (oil leak) and also the chain tensionner just in case of (I ordered the 2017 model to be sure to have the last revision). I changed the deflection pulley because the bearing was noisy.

The problem is when the car is hot she rattle and it sound like a diesel and I hate diesel... I also own a Mazda 3 with 3 times more kilometers, same horsepower and she is so quiet that when idling that sometimes it's almost impossible to say if the engine is running !

I read many, many, many topics about rattle with N42/N46/etc... petrol engine sounding like a diesel etc... but without real solution or help.

No power loss or nothing noticeable.

What I did :
    -scan with Rheingold (no fault)
    -vanos solenoid unplugged (no change)
    -MAF unplugged (supposed to disable the valvetronic) : no change
    -DISA unplugged: no change (rattle seems to come from exhaust side not intake)

I'm not sure but I think that the noise is more audible under the car, I crawled underneath but wasn't able to locate the rattle (too noisy).
    I made a video :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-8jKzkF5-A
    You can see the torque converter (automatic), I think it's somewhere around (maybe himself) don't know...

Here is an other video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkziYMwhnA4
    forget the tik tik sound, please focus on the rattle. Please note I made this video before replacing the deflection pulley (noisy bearing, you can ear it)

The rattle came slowly with the engine warming up but it's also noticeable when cold but other noises cover it. Once the engine is warm the rattle is the most audible noise. The exhaust is stock (muffler, etc.) but I find it a bit loud (don't know if it's supposed to be) so I'm starting to suppose I have a crack somewhere, this morning I tried to block exhaust and surprise I wasn't able to stall the engine (didn't even drop rpm), I wasn't able to totally block the exhaust because of the pressure build-up. So I plan to make an other test with a vacuum cleaner and engine off to see if I have a leak.

What do you mean ? Can an exhaust leak make my petrol sound like a diesel ? Does someone know where the rattle come from ? Any idea ?

My Cars
    2006 120i E87
    I just read me again and I made a mistakes when I said 1500Hz, when analyzing the noise I figure out it append every 42ms so it's more 23Hz than 1500 !
    To compare with the engine speed, my rattle can be heard 1428 times per minute, so we can say twice per revolution...

I don't know if the valvetronic is making continuous ajustement (whatever the cam angle) or 4 times per cam revolution because last day it looks like the noise was coming from the valvetronic emplacement.

My Cars
    2006 120i E87
    Here is a new video, this time the hood is closed so everybody can appreciate the rattle without injector's tick-tick-tick.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqleXi0pSuI

The rattle frequency is twice the rpm, not sure but when I stop reving my engine the rattle seems to stop until idle...

Not sure if related but I have a transmission clunk everytime I'm going from D to P, especially when passing through R. Don't know if center bearing or any engine/trans mount but can a mount make my engine rattle so bad ? Look at my other video the engine doesn't vibrate even when reving...

My Cars
    BMW 318 e46 2000 M43
    Any updates, my n42 sounds like a diesel bmw, vanos solenoids connected or not.
    Sound comes from close to the vvt motor

My Cars
    2006 120i E87
    Unfortunately not, I replaced CVT, oil sump gasket, etc... Nothing helped.
    The noise came gradually with engine getting in temperature and then never disappear, I also tightened flexplate to torque converter but didn't fix anything. Right now I still don't know why it sound so bad, people think it's a diesel so it's not just me... also I'm pretty sure the noise goes away when decelerating just after revving the engine.