https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&vid...id=2XwhLnWSiPE

Video tutorial on how to remove the rear window shelf on a BMW E39. A similar procedure may apply to other BMW models as well. For this I am using a 1997 BMW 540i which doesn’t have fold down rear seats so there is slightly more work involved. Be sure to stay tuned for the restoration process of this panel. I will be repairing the faded fabric but to it’s original black color.

Tools/Supplies Needed:
-12mm socket
-17mm socket
-ratchet and extensions
-trim removal tool
-standard screwdriver
-electrical tape
-T40 torx driver

Procedure:
-start by removing the c pillar light either using a trim removal tool or a standard screwdriver with electrical tape wrapped on the tip so it doesn’t damage anything
-once the light has been removed, there will be an electrical connector that needs to be disconnected simply by pulling out
-remove the headrests next which just pull straight up until they’re fully removed
-insert your hand around the top edge of the c pillar or where the light was located and pull
-once disconnected, then pull the trim straight up and it’s tucked behind the rear deck trim
-remove the rear speaker covers
-using a standard screwdriver again with electrical tape, insert it on the front side, then gently pry upwards
-after the front has been unclipped, then feed your fingers around the edge and lift the rest of it up
-remove the child restrain caps, these have a big phillips plastic screw, remove that first
-the cap can be popped up and removed
-to remove the seat, we’ll need to start with the bottom first
-grab firmly onto the one side, pull up and you’ll hear it unclip
-move over to the other side of the vehicle and do the same
-pull the seat forward so the seat belt latches are removed from their slot and lift out
-for the seat back, there will be two 12mm bolts, one on each side of the vehicle
-remove those using a 3/8” drive ratchet
-the seat back then needs to be pulled upward to unclip the 4 mounting tabs on the backside
-once disconnected, tuck the seat belts behind the seat so it’s easier to remove and lift out
-remove the 17mm bolt which holds on the seat belts, there are three in total
-remove the plastic clips along the front side where the seat back used to sit, there are four in total
-pop the seat belt trim out, so the seat belt latches can be feed through the holes
-once removed, these have a slot on the bottom to pop out the seat belt
-then tuck the seat belt through the holes
-remove the four phillips screws on the center headrest bracket
-this bracket needs to be removed so the rear shelf can be removed
-now pull the rear shelf out
-the child restraint metal brackets can be removed if you wish, I was able to remove the shelf without it, they use a T40 torx bolt