Thread: Removing front license plate; looking for a hole solution

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

Removing front license plate; looking for a hole solution

Was there ever a 'smooth' front bumper option on our cars? I don't want to run a front plate (which is required in my state, but IDGAF), but I removed my front plate bracket and there are, obviously, screw holes.

The funny thing is that it looks like there were dimples in the bumper from the factory. So I looked at genuine OE replacement front bumpers and found them on ECS Tuning's site, and there are dimples in the plastic already.

I've seen the threads about bumper plugs, and TBH, those look worse than a license plate IMO.

So before I go to the trouble of plastic filling mine, sanding, prepping, and repainting my front bumper, I have to ask: was there ever a completely smooth front bumper (even if it wasn't OEM) for the Z3M that I can buy?

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    No, there was never a smooth front bumper. The bumpers have always had pre-threaded holes for the license plate bracket.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    There are likely aftermarket bumpers that do not have pre-drilled holes. I know that there are at least for other BMW models - I imagine the Z is no exception.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    No, there was never a smooth front bumper. The bumpers have always had pre-threaded holes for the license plate bracket.
    That is a bummer, but I am not entirely surprised. One thing I've learned in the past couple weeks, having come from the E36 side, is that there is a whole lot that was just never made available to the Z3.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    There are likely aftermarket bumpers that do not have pre-drilled holes. I know that there are at least for other BMW models - I imagine the Z is no exception.
    Even the cheap Chinese 'replica' covers have dimples. I may just have to spend the time and money this winter filling those holes and repainting :P

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    After 16 years, my bumper was in need of refreshing and I too wanted to fill in those holes...

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...48329-Nose-Job

Very happy with the clean look. If I get pulled over for a fix-it ticket, I have a tow-hook license plate bracket ready to go.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by DMilla View Post
    After 16 years, my bumper was in need of refreshing and I too wanted to fill in those holes...https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...48329-Nose-Job
    Very happy with the clean look. If I get pulled over for a fix-it ticket, I have a tow-hook license plate bracket ready to go.

Very nice job, my friend. I will likely end up doing the same. IDGAFF about the law here regarding front plates--I'll just either (a) explain that there's no mount for a front plate on ~20yo car, or (b) just take the $50 ticket and be on my way.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    You better fill your OEM ABS bumper than install aftermarket fiberglass one. AFAIK there are no aftermarket options made from ABS.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Related, I just learned about these the other day from a comments thread on BaT. Pretty good option instead of a tow hook mount
    https://skenebrackets.com/

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumanchu282 View Post
    Related, I just learned about these the other day from a comments thread on BaT. Pretty good option instead of a tow hook mount
    Good idea in theory, just doesn't look very stable to be practical. Probably plate vibrates, makes sounds and scratches the paint at high speeds...

My Cars
    z3
    I shaved my bumper holes. Took 5 minutes, but that was also while prepping the bumper for paint.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumanchu282 View Post
    That looks 1000% better than the tow-hook mounts__besides being ugly and looking off-balanced, they stick out enough to catch my shins and the air-hose has an uncanny attraction to getting hooked by it. I hate them.

This was a brand new bumper, so other than cleaning up some parting lines, not a whole lot of prep beyond basic plastic refinishing procedures required.

I was pleased with the results, that was until the next time the front end got clobbered...

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    This was a brand new bumper, so other than cleaning up some parting lines, not a whole lot of prep beyond basic plastic refinishing procedures required.
    Brand new OEM, or aftermarket?

My Cars
    z3
    There are no aftermarket z3m bumpers with OE look

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
    For under $30, I chose to go this route: https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...gory&path=1_11. Sure, they're not as smooth as filling and repainting the bumper, but because they are sold pre-painted in your OEM color, they look far better than the open holes or (shudder) the bracket.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Mushman View Post
    Very nice job, my friend. I will likely end up doing the same. IDGAFF about the law here regarding front plates--I'll just either (a) explain that there's no mount for a front plate on ~20yo car, or (b) just take the $50 ticket and be on my way.
    Here in Ohio which is surrounded by no front plate states (IN, MI, PA, KY) the Highway Patrol will give you a $125 ticket for missing front plate. Both my cars came from Kentucky and no front bracket. I wish I had seen https://skenebrackets.com/ before drilling holes in my Subaru's bumper. The Z3 bracket doesn't look too bad with a plate on it.

mherington is offline Passing Gas... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster

Removing front license plate; looking for a hole solution

Quote Originally Posted by John# View Post
    That looks awesome. Bookmarked for sure.

M.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    When I bought my 2000M Roadster over 10 years ago it had the typical dings and scrapes on the front bumper. I also hated the look with the front plate = which is required in California. I went to a high end body shop that does a lot of BMW's. They confirmed that a new bumper would have the holes and the cost of completely repairing and painting my existing bumper-- and filling the holes --- was about the same as buying a new bumper.

As an aside I have never been stopped for anything , let alone no front plate. One time I was parked with a group of BMW's on a drive a Highway Patrol Officer parked and walked the line of cars looking them over. He said " You know you are supposed to have a front plate" I said, why? you are only ever going to see the back of the car. We both laughed and he walked off.

My Cars
    02 AW M Coupe