Thread: How to fix Broken Tabs

My Cars
    96 850cia

How to fix Broken Tabs

If you have an e31 then you have broken tabs and other pieces of plastic. I recently found a product called Plastifix that is specifically made to fix broken and missing pieces of plastic including one item specifically - broken tabs.

It is sold in a kit online and the company has produced several videos on its website that shows you how to fix your parts. I was a little skeptical until I tried it. It works amazingly well!

There are two parts to the mixture. A resin and powdered plastic. You can choose between white, clear and black plastic. Black seemed appropriate for the repair.

Attachment 584592Attachment 584593

The light blue block is a reusable mold. Heat it in hot water and hold in place where you need to replicate your missing part. I used an identical tab from another Pillar that was in good condition.

Attachment 584594

I then taped it place and poured a new tab.

Attachment 584595

I made it thicker, original was 1.5 mm thick. New one is 2mm. This is the Driver side A pillar. It worked perfectly.

Attachment 584596

The C pillar had two broken tabs by the light, don't they all break there? I used the Plastifix to rebuild them using the broken pieces. Made the whole tab thicker and stronger.

I made three missing tabs on the sunroof switch cover and added more plastic to the back of the existing ones to strengthen them. I will post pictures in another post if anyone is interested.

After letting the plastic cure over night it was just as strong or stronger then the original and had permanently bonded to the old plastic. I filed and used a dremel to get them to the size and shape needed.

Overall It was easy to use and is performing perfectly. However, I have not tried to remove the covers, hopefully if I do the tabs won't break. If they do I can easily repair them.

I tried to add more photos but I guess we can only add five at a time!?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    Thanks for the review. Keep us posted on longevity of fix. Could be extremely promising with these cars.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Thanks for the review. Keep us posted on longevity of fix. Could be extremely promising with these cars.
    No Google in Canada?

https://www.google.com/search?q=plas...tifix&tbm=shop

My Cars
    Too Many Cars (NOT!)
    Gentlemen;

I've had really good luck using Loctite Plastic Bonder. Anyone who owns E39 5 series cars, has had the front seat lower seat trim that holds the power seat switches completely break off the mounting tabs, In fact, both of my e39's had both front seat trims broken. I used this stuff to make completely new tabs (5 of them for each seat). 3 use a push clip through holes and 2 use screws. All were broken off. Some I was able to just epoxy the original tab back on, but most I had to completely re-construct new tabs, then drill holes for the screws or clips. Either way, they are almost indestructible. They set hard enough to drill and mount in 24 hours and the 2 part syringe makes it easy to get the ratios correct. Once you sqeeze it out on some scrap cardboard, just mix it like Bondo, then apply it into whatever shape you need with another piece of cardboard. 24 hours later file and drill. I'm sorry, I don't have pics of before and after, but will next time. Need to do all 4 pillars and the sunroof switch cover in my 850. In fact, one of my 850 headlight housings is broken and missing an entire 3" section on the top that I'm going to make a "sheet" of this stuff to replace the missing section, since I can't afford $400 dollars for an entire headlight that I don't need.

Don't try to use this on the plastic wheel houses on 850's, ask me how I know. It will not stick to some plastics, but anything interior or most exterior works like magic. The downside is it's not black, but if you use it in places that don't show, it's no biggie. If necessary, just paint it.

Oh yeah, it's only available at Lowe's and make sure you get the one marked "Plastic Bonder". There is another one at Home Depot, that just says "Plastic", not as strong.

Here's the link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/LOCTITE-Repair-Wrap/3220051

See ya
    Mike Drives:
    BMW's
    E24 - 635CSiA - (1) 1985 (US)
    E24 - 635CSi - (1) 1985 (EC)
    E31 - 850iA - (1) 1991 (Black)
    E31 - 850iA - (1) 1991 (Calypso Red)

E32 - 740iA - (1) 1994
    E32 - 750iA - (1) 1990 (Not an "L") (EC German National)
    E32 - 735iL - (2) 1990
    E32 - 750iL - (1) 1990

E38 - 740iLA - (2) (1) 1997 & (1) 1998
    E38 - 750iLA - (1) 1998
    E38 - 740iA - (1) 2000 "Short Sport"
    E39 - 528iA - (2) - 2000 & (1) 1997
    Also:
    2015 Ram 3500 Dually, Cumins 6.7, Std.Cab. Long box 4x4 (To haul all this junk when necessary)
    2014 Dodge Dart Rallye (Daily Driver)
    2007 Mercedes Benz CL600 (Brabus SV12S)
    Mercedes Benz SL's - (1) (2002) & (1) 1999 500 - (1) 1999 600
    1967 Buick Riviera (2)

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    What's a Google?

Yes but "plastic" is not BMW old age plastic. So real world experience with Fragile BMW plastic fixes would be nice to see..
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I have tried yet another product on my ski bag door. The little plastic catch bar broke off. I was able to epoxy a small metal rod in place and it has been holding for over a week now. The product I used is G Flex by West Systems. It is sold mostly at marine stores or online. To make this epoxy stick to ABS plastic you have to pass a propane torch over the ABS at about 1 foot per second to change the chemistry and then it will adhere. I called their technical help line at they were very helpful in explaining how to use the product so I bought it and gave it a try. Afterward, I sanded and painted, and it almost looks original.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6 Speed
    ABS responds to acetone. With fragile constructions as ours are it might be best to add thickness with additional material.

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I forgot to mention, I put strands I removed from fiberglass cloth in the Epoxy before it cured (1 by 1) and that's what really gave it the extra strength.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I just found this on the E31 forum and moved a copy of the thread to here, we also have on our E32 the same problem, be it A,B, C pillar cover taps or other ones.

I used several ways so far for pillar covers and other things, also repaired my ashtray with epoxy putty, see my website
    fiber glass repair kit for my E32, easy to form, strong
    http://produkte.bilder-speicher.de/0.../cpillar2.html
    http://produkte.bilder-speicher.de/0.../cpillar1.html

soldering iron http://twrite.org/shogunnew/files/he...iring-clip.jpg

reinforced epoxy putty I used for the A-pillar cover for my E36: usually advertised like: ....is an easy to mix steel reinforced epoxy putty. Once set, it is as hard as steel and can be used for anything from fixing towel rails, repairing exhaust pipes, stopping leaks in radiators, welding pipes together or filling around an outside tap. Can be drilled, filed, sanded, machined or painted 1 hours after use.Can be applied and sets in wet conditions.Bonds permanently to aluminium, brass, copper, steel, fibreglass, glass, hard plastic, ceramics, wood and most other materials.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!