Thread: WTB e32 Door Weatherstrip

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il

WTB e32 Door Weatherstrip

The exterior chrome trim at the base of my driver's side window was smashed up so I ordered a new one. Thankfully it was still available from the dealer, but they had to ship it from Germany. I went to install it and I didn't realize there is a rubber trim piece thing underneath the chrome that both seals the window and goes inside the trim piece to allow it to attach to the steel of the door. When I removed the old chrome trim I messed up the actual rubber gasket thing. Part #7 below:

trim.JPG

Anyway, I ordered the part from BMW but got a message back that it is no longer available. It seems parts are getting harder and harder to find for these cars

Part number is 51211928259. Does anybody have this piece? Or know of anyone parting-out an E32?

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Do you know if the part is interchangeable between the left and right side? I am swapping my right side doors with junk yard pieces in a few months and will have double of a few things. If I can get the trim off without ruining the gasket I will happily pass it along. The other thing... The car I got my doors off of is a 94 740iA at Junkyard Barbie in Morrisville, PA. I think you are not too far from there (?) so maybe consider trekking out there to see if you can get the part. E32s aren't popping up a whole lot in junk yards these days.
    Wade

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Left and right are different part number, Front door window weather strip 51211928259 = left , 51211928260 = right
    This shop offers the left one, hope their stock list is up to date https://www.oemautopartsandaccessori...7e39736eaca5e/
    here too https://www.bmwpartsprime.com/oem/bm...outer-lef.html
    Last edited by shogun; 11-08-2017 at 08:27 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Left and right are different part number, Front door window weather strip 51211928259 = left , 51211928260 = right
    This shop offers the left one, hope their stock list is up to date https://www.oemautopartsandaccessori...7e39736eaca5e/
    here too https://www.bmwpartsprime.com/oem/bm...outer-lef.html

Thanks for the info! I'll call both and see if they can get the part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
    Do you know if the part is interchangeable between the left and right side? I am swapping my right side doors with junk yard pieces in a few months and will have double of a few things. If I can get the trim off without ruining the gasket I will happily pass it along. The other thing... The car I got my doors off of is a 94 740iA at Junkyard Barbie in Morrisville, PA. I think you are not too far from there (?) so maybe consider trekking out there to see if you can get the part. E32s aren't popping up a whole lot in junk yards these days.
    I actually live in Florida now. Unfortunately the left and right are different parts, but thanks for the heads up!

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    How difficult is it to remove the chrome strip? My weather seals inside that chrome strip are harder than the dam chrome strip itself.

BMW 7er Website www.7er.com
    1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Not too difficult, see workshop manual under body equipment https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/481en/index.htm

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    Thank you Erich, looks simple enough, just pry it off with a wedge.

BMW 7er Website www.7er.com
    1989 BMW 735i Schwarz (sadly, sold) // 1989 BMW 750iL Cirrusblau Metallic // 1998 BMW 740iL Oxfordgrün Metallic // 2000 M5 Carbon Schwarz ///

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Bump. Still haven't found a source for this NLA part yet. PM me if you're parting an e32 with a good condition trim piece.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    I sent you a PM with this in it. Just went through their new site. These are their latest E32 wrecks. I can see the chrome strip you need on all of them. Give them a call and I think your problem is solved.
    https://www.specializedgerman.com/us...ries-e32-parts
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by CroughtonE32 View Post
    I sent you a PM with this in it. Just went through their new site. These are their latest E32 wrecks. I can see the chrome strip you need on all of them. Give them a call and I think your problem is solved.
    https://www.specializedgerman.com/us...ries-e32-parts
    I just replied to your PM. Awesome find! I will give them a call.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Here's the update. I called Specialized German and talked to one of their guys there who knows e32s really well, and sent them pictures and a description of the piece I'm looking for. He knew exactly what I was talking about. Even though I have a brand new chrome piece to put on, I told him I'd want to buy the chrome trim piece with the seal since it's so difficult to actually remove the seal thing from the chrome without destroying the seal.

Bad news - all those seals on the e32s they have are rotted/worn out. He wouldn't even sell me one because they're all totally shot. He said I'd have a very hard time finding a used one in halfway decent condition since these cars are so old, and the rubber dries up and cracks, along with surface that actually seals against the glass is usually worn out from all the times the window has gone up and down over the years. He recommended only buying a new one if I could find a source. He also mentioned to ask for clear close-up pictures of the seal if I end up trying to find a used one. He said all the used ones he's seen have been completely shot and super hard. He said to try and find one from a car that has been kept out of the sun. It sucks that was a dead-end, but I'm really glad he was honest about the parts he had not being good enough, instead of just trying to sell them to me anyway.

BTW if any of you guys need other used parts I would give these guys a call. They have lots of e32s!

The search continues...

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post
    Here's the update. I called Specialized German and talked to one of their guys there who knows e32s really well, and sent them pictures and a description of the piece I'm looking for. He knew exactly what I was talking about. Even though I have a brand new chrome piece to put on, I told him I'd want to buy the chrome trim piece with the seal since it's so difficult to actually remove the seal thing from the chrome without destroying the seal.

Bad news - all those seals on the e32s they have are rotted/worn out. He wouldn't even sell me one because they're all totally shot. He said I'd have a very hard time finding a used one in halfway decent condition since these cars are so old, and the rubber dries up and cracks, along with surface that actually seals against the glass is usually worn out from all the times the window has gone up and down over the years. He recommended only buying a new one if I could find a source. He also mentioned to ask for clear close-up pictures of the seal if I end up trying to find a used one. He said all the used ones he's seen have been completely shot and super hard. He said to try and find one from a car that has been kept out of the sun. It sucks that was a dead-end, but I'm really glad he was honest about the parts he had not being good enough, instead of just trying to sell them to me anyway.

BTW if any of you guys need other used parts I would give these guys a call. They have lots of e32s!

The search continues...
    dammit I was just in Pennsylvania...I could really use some rear door shades and power rear sunblind!

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Quote Originally Posted by m60power View Post

The search continues...
    Too bad Dan. Thought for sure they'd have one for you. Just have to keep on looking.
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I would try a DIY to repair the chrome piece with a new seal, which you would have to find. That is probably the only way to go. Check seals for window frame etc to find a fitting seal.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    I would try a DIY to repair the chrome piece with a new seal, which you would have to find. That is probably the only way to go. Check seals for window frame etc to find a fitting seal.
    I ended up buying two of the front passenger side door seals since they are still available from BMW. I'm going to attempt using them to make one for the driver's side. The felt part of the seal is cut away and beveled on both ends where the chrome goes under the mirror and in front of the outside b-pillar trim piece (so the felt part is only along the glass). The rubber covered aluminum part of the seal (the part of it that goes under the chrome piece) is also notched to fit in these locations.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    I spoke too soon! I heard back from my order and the right door weatherstrip isn't available either. BMW must've just recently exhausted their stock because it's not listed as NLA yet. I emailed BMW Classic to see if they have any of the raw uncut weatherstrip that I could buy.