Thread: Finally My m52b28 turbo build

My Cars
    1999 323is turbo build

Finally My m52b28 turbo build

Hello everyone,

I am not so new to the forums but have been in the background reading. I've been following a lot of the members' build threads here and dreaming to do one myself for about 6 years now. FINALLY after graduating from university and starting up my own business I decided to get my priorities straight. 1. Build a turbo e36 2. Pay off my student loans. So here it is.

I purchased a 99 323is with a blown head gasket about a few days ago. Shortly after found a perfect engine out of a 97 328i that had been involved in an accident with only 89k miles. Turned on the engine and had never heard such a strong sound from an m5x (Ive owned about 10 in the past few years). So now I am collecting parts to complete the project. The only thing I have not decided on fully is whether or not I will be able to run some ebay parts for budget reasons such as the bov, wg, charge piping, intercooler reliably and also which turbo to run to have the fastest spool rpm while maintaining good horsepower and top end power. The goal is 550whp.

So heres the list:

Arp head studs
    Cut ring head gasket
    s52 cams
    m50 manifold
    mishimoto silicon elbow
    stewart high performance water pump/ mishimoto race thermostat
    otis good and tight manifold
    3 in downpipe straight to muffler
    2.5 in charge pipes (probably cx racing unless someone knows of a better option)
    hks rep bov
    tial 44mm wastegate (possibly rep?)
    debating on gt3076r gt3582r or a borg warner s300sx or s366
    rk tunes 115lb injectors and e85
    aeromotive fpr

zf transmission
    driveshaft
    2.91 welded diff for lower gear ratio
    f1 racing stage 3 sprung clutch kit with aluminum 10lb flywheel

aem wideband
    pep boys boost gauge
    pep boys oil pressure gauge
    hks boost controller

For the time being I will be running ds2 with 245 in the rear bf goodrich tires. The car will also be getting the m3 front and rear bumpers along with an x brace and h&r sport with bilstein until I can afford to get better tires as well as a set of st coilovers.
    oil lines will be custom as well as downpipe. The head work will be done by bimmerheads here in the area.

Please be patient with this thread as I am taking a step at a time and will update as the project moves along. Cars taking up room in front of the house so I need to get this thing going asap. As everyday passes it just gets more and more exciting. Can't wait to take on some of the pos leased american cars in the area.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Looks like you have quite a bit figured out! I'm sure the guys here will chime in shortly. You should post some pics of the car.

You should go with the Treadstone 1235 the fitment and quality is awesome. I ordered intercooler piping off eBay for fairly cheap and made them fit pretty damn well.

Whats your budget? Are you doing the work yourself? Expect to spend lots of $!

Outcome will be well worth it, if done properly. My car is an absolute blast to drive.

Last edited by 328iFun; 11-08-2017 at 05:14 PM.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Get a tial 44 or precision 46mm gate. I don't trust china gates. The ebay tial 50mm knock offs bov's seam to work. A GTW3684 or an S362sxe would both be solid budget friendly options. APG turbo makes a t3 open housing for the s362
    Last edited by someguy2800; 11-08-2017 at 10:29 PM.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    I have a turbo smart 45mm gate I can sell.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1999 323is turbo build
    Yes other than the head work I will be installing everything myself. Does anyone have measurements for the oil lines so that I can give it to the shop that will be making them for me? Also will be getting the downpipe fabricated. Please DM me for the turbo smart wg

Decided to take some pics. The dash cover needs to be fixed as well as the headliner. Ill be doing alcantara headliner all black. Still debating on whether to get the sport seats or not for the time being.

turbo build 2.jpg

The m3 front and rear bumper will be coming off this car. Currently running ds2s with the h&r with bilsteins on the front end of this car so expecting this ride height.

turbo build 4.jpg
    Little bit of clear coat peeling on the passenger door towards the top but everything else is clean!
    turbo build 5.jpg
    turbo build 3.jpg
    steering wheel had a cover on it so thats brand new. Weighted shift knob from a zhp also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 323is turbo build
    turbo build 6.jpg

How engine sits right now with wiring harness and subframe. Plan on redoing the bushings on this subframe and installing it directly into my car when the engine comes back from the shop. Thoughts? Any easier recommendations as to how to put it in?

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Looks like a clean moter

My Cars
    1999 323is turbo build
    Haven't updated the thread in a while so heres an update. I got my s52 cams, otis good and tight turbo manifold, m50 intake manifold, 1mm oversized valves for the exhaust side, vanos seals, head will be full port and polish, block will be honed and I will be replacing the piston rings as well as rod bearings. As I was speaking to my machine shop guy he told me he has a full m54b30 rotating assembly so I might throw that in there instead. Anyone know what harmonic I can use if I am running a fx racing chromoly flywheel where I wont destroy my main bearings? Also got my zf transmission and driveshaft from the junk yard, will be replacing fluids before use. I will be ordering some aftermarket performance valve springs as well. I will update with pics in the next few days.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW thanks to all BFC and FB members that have been helping me out through this. Shout out to the sick community we got here.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Run the stock balancer.

But, careful...... We don't like BookFace.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM