Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 96 328i help, cranks but will not start

My Cars
    95 e36 convertable

96 328i help, cranks but will not start

Hello, I have a 96 328i that I got from a friend of mine. The car ran fine and was parked 2 years ago and not moved since. I got towed to my house and I’m tryin to figure out y it won’t start. It cranks but will not start. Now relays are good. DME is getting power, fuses are good. Now i don’t have a check engine light when I turn ignition on. I don’t think I’m gettin fuel or spark. Anybody can guide on on wat else to check before I buy another DME..
    Last edited by Jdmek685; 11-07-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello - have you checked the plugs? Fuel lines?
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    95 e36 convertable
    Yes I installed new plugs yesterday. Still nothing. At first d engine wouldn’t even crank. Then I found a blown fuse now cranks all day but no start.
    Last edited by Jdmek685; 11-07-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Maybe try pulling the codes, it may give you a place to start troubleshooting.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    95 e36 convertable
    How can I do that without a scanner? And I don’t even have a check engine light on my dash.

- - - Updated - - -

How can I do that without a scanner

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdmek685 View Post
    How can I do that without a scanner? And I don’t even have a check engine light on my dash.

- - - Updated - - -

How can I do that without a scanner
    do you hear the fuel pump humming when key in on position and why did his non m have a m bumper on it
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    99 528i 5speed Alpine white(Totaled Unfortunately)
    Oil pan and timing chain delete, weight reduction right?
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Check fusible link in trunk

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by zohaibrose View Post
    do you hear the fuel pump humming when key in on position and why did his non m have a m bumper on it

Dealer option, any 3 series could have been ordered with the M aerodynamic package.

My Cars
    95 e36 convertable
    I thought about that but all the lights in d dash still work. If the fusible link was bad I don’t think it would get any power from the battery at all

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Better check it. As far as I know the E36 has one fusible link in trunk https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...t=fusible+link
    If the fuisble link has haircracks, it could be still enough to power the lights in dash, but not enough to crank. That is often the case that fusible links sometimes work, sometimes not when having haircracks http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/s...ible_E32_1.jpg
    take nothing for granted, check it.
    In my E32 there are even 2 fusible links, 1 powers the e-box with Motronic and one powers the other stuff like interior lights, central locking etc.
    On E32 with the 20-pin diagnosis port we can check the fusible link which goes to the Motronic in the diagnosis port, details here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...8#post29830038

Did you meanwhile check the fuel pump?
    Last edited by shogun; 11-07-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    95 e36 convertable
    But mine cranks just doesn’t start. I will jump the fuel pump tomorrow. Jus to make sure it’s working. I think I did this before and it did work but it was a couple of months ago I’m not sure. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Now I’ve read that if the check engine light is. It on then it couldn’t b a bad DME but how can I check the DME to make sure?

My Cars
    99 M3
    You can get a code scanner for FREE at generally any auto parts store. Generic codes, but a place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    you mentioned:' At first the engine wouldn’t even crank. Then I found a blown fuse now cranks all day but no start.'
    which fuse number?
    DME does not get damaged so easy, I assume a basic fault is the problem.
    Check fuel pump
    check for sparks

if you can get a scanner, the better

he also had a no start problem, see the condition of the fusible link https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ics&styleid=50
    Last edited by shogun; 11-08-2017 at 05:49 AM.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdmek685 View Post
    I thought about that but all the lights in d dash still work. If the fusible link was bad I don’t think it would get any power from the battery at all
    Stop thinking and check it...

The fusible link is the hot wire to the DME (computer) and if it's blown the car will crank but not start.

Dash lights have a separate power source

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    The easiest way to check the fusible link is to turn the key on, use a meter on voltage and put one lead on the jumpstart post under the hood and the other on the small wire post down lower on the jumpstart block. The reading should be 0 V because they are connected together at the battery connector in the trunk. If the fuse is blown you will see a voltage difference because the small wire is not connected to battery.

If the fuse is blown the dash will still light up and the car will crank all day. The fuel pump will not prime when the key is turned on either.
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    crank sensor. i just went through all this on my 93. new sensor and she fired right up and runs like a top.
    2 Brilliant Red 1993 BMW 325i Sedans. identical except interior color
    1 1982 320i in cypress green.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    check the fuel pump relay https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...fuel+pump+test
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...y-I-m-confused
    again a comment by jc43089 from another thread:
    If the fuel pump is not running for a couple seconds when the key is first turning you may not have power to the ECU. The stock setup has from the battery in the trunk two wires. The large wire to the starter/alternator and most of the body electronics. The small wire feeds the ECU, fuel pump and a few other things. If the fusible link on the small wire is blown in the trunk the car will crank all day but no spark, fuel or anything and everything on the dash will appear normal while trying to start it. The easiest way to check is at the jump start block in front of the ECU compartment. Use your meter on voltage and check between the big red wire (the jump start post) and the small red wire (on a smaller screw terminal below the big wire splice point) With the key on you should see 0 volts difference or very near to it. This is because they are coming from the same place (the battery) If they show a difference then the fuse is likely blown, it is hidden under heat shrink in the trunk about 2 feet from the battery. It is not a replaceable part, it's just riveted to ring terminals. I had to cut mine out and splice in a fuse holder. the previous owner had shorted something out and couldn't figure out what was wrong so I got it for cheap.
    -------------------

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    Spray starter fluid into the manifold. If it starts, even for just a second, your ECU Is good and you have spark. If that be the case you are likely facing a fuel delivery problem

Keep us updated.

My Cars
    95 e36 convertable
    i meant to say i tried to jump the fuel pump*****

My Cars
    95 e36 convertable
    Another thing I’ve noticed is when I hook up the battery I can hear a noice coming from the engine bay sounds like an electrical current? Sound like that and a tapping sound but very low like u really gotta listen for it. I wanna Say almost like d injectors are turning on and off.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    The noise you are hearing is likely coming from the purge valve. That’s perfectly normal.
    Last edited by ilikemycar; 11-09-2017 at 08:57 PM.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    If you do not have a check engine light with ign in acc and you know the bulb and cluster wiring is good then your dme power ground are not proper or your dme is dead!
    Buy my native installed ISIS ISTA-D/ISTA-P bmw diagnostic laptop. More Info Here!

My Cars
    95 e36 convertable
    yea im beginning to believe my DME is bad. but just in case im going to pick up some starting fluid nd see if it starts at all

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    Good call.

My Cars
    95 e36 convertable
    Ok changed the DME today and there is still no Check engine light nd still cranks no start

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast