Thread: BMW cars catching fire while off and parked. Saw this in the news

My Cars
    BMW 135i

BMW cars catching fire while off and parked. Saw this in the news

Was watching the news yesterday, and they reported about many newer BMW models (06-11 I think) including 3 series like my 335is.

People reported their cars just catching fire overnight, while parked and off.

I did a little digging, and it seems to be a wiring harness for the AC/heater fan, one end plated in silver, the other in tin. This apparently causes a short circuit and can cause the car to catch fire.

This is a real thing.

I JUST lost my house in the big Norcal fires, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna have my new house burnt down after that by my car!

I called BMW dealership, they said they'd JUST heard about it, and they don't have the parts in stock yet to fix this issue.

Until then, I'm parking my car outside, something I HATE to do. I LOVE my 335is, so to turn the TV on and see that BMW is recalling millions of cars due to possible bursting into flames at any time, parked or running, doesn't sit well with me.

Anyone else heard about this, or had their car catch fire?

BMW service told me it was the harness or wiring to the heater/AC fan, which I suspect would be stout, as the fan is a high draw item.

Can I pull my heater fan fuse every night so I can park my car inside without worry?

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
    Was watching the news yesterday, and they reported about many newer BMW models (06-11 I think) including 3 series like my 335is.

People reported their cars just catching fire overnight, while parked and off.

I did a little digging, and it seems to be a wiring harness for the AC/heater fan, one end plated in silver, the other in tin. This apparently causes a short circuit and can cause the car to catch fire....
    http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/...#ixzz4xVCbMhNf
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...41&postcount=1 (description of blower motor problem)
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...lls/107293332/
    http://beta.latimes.com/business/aut...103-story.html
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=23 shows what the problem is

It's extremely rare. I personally wouldn't worry a bit about it. And as far as parking your car outside? Santa Rosa, CA? You probably got some ash on your car from the fires that damaged it more than you will from a month of parking outside in CA weather.

My Cars
    '13 E70 35D
    Did you hear about the NEW BMW recalls? One is for the blower motor harness and the other for a wire under the intake or valve cover for the heater valve i think.

https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-recalls.html

I'm going to be setting up an appointment for my E90 soon.

I'm pretty sure this could be the cause of all those fires....

My Cars
    E92 335i 6-spd
    I work for a BMW dealership and saw the bulletin a few days ago. It's attached below if anyone is interested in reading it.
    Last edited by MarkyBeee; 11-07-2017 at 04:12 PM.

My Cars
    2008 328xi
    Doesn't surprise me. It's a BMW.

I just found out I have to cut my key open to change the rechargable battery. WTF? And then there is no oil dipstick. The wiper control is hidden by the steering wheel. You can't 'turn' the rotors. There's oil seepage from some shaft on the engine and it may leak down a wire to a computer and fry that. Geez. Why do they make things like they do? Who in hell designs these cars?
    Last edited by Mango Bob; 11-07-2017 at 05:20 PM.

My Cars
    02 M3
    For real the e90 platform is full of issues. My car has 62k on it and many oil leaks, failed computers etc.

Im going back to e46 after this car.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyBeee View Post
    I work for a BMW dealership and saw the bulletin a few days ago. It's attached below if anyone is interested in reading it.
    Thanks a bunch for posting these bulletins.

My Cars
    08 335i and 15 others...
    This was my blower motor resistor, didn't burst into flames but it sure got hot. Replaced it and built a simple three wire harness for about $6. Works great now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    BMW 135i
    Was that easy to remove? Where was it located?

My Cars
    BMW 135i
    I'm going to go to the dealership today and see if there's a fuse I can pull nightly. I just need to know that pulling the fuse won't affect any other systems or possible memory loss of the computer.

I'll feel OK parking in my garage if I know the offending circuit is dead.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Now they need to do a recall on the power steering and i think a lot of people will be good.
    Photbucket looking to make extra money......

My Cars
    2008 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyBeee View Post
    I ran my vin and my car is on the list for the blower resistor issue. So on the PDF where it says I can request a loaner vehicle... Can I just drop my car off and get a loaner until they find a resolution?

I haven't even made my first payment on the 08 335i I bought a few weeks ago

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hbrandon1987; 11-11-2017 at 06:20 PM.

My Cars
    08 335i and 15 others...
    There are a couple good YouTube Vids on blower motor replacement, I'd advise watching a them and pre-ordering a new unit from dealer(or RockAuto for $124. like I did) Basically you have to remove the trim panel that surrounds the cupholders and remove the glovebox. The resister is attached to the blower motor with a couple screws and it's up and behind the glove box. Figure an hour with the 'learning curve' but I'm sure I could do it in 30 min the second ti9me *if* there is one

My Cars
    BMW 135i
    Good to know. Thanks.

My Cars
    E92 335i 6-spd
    Quote Originally Posted by hbrandon1987 View Post
    I ran my vin and my car is on the list for the blower resistor issue. So on the PDF where it says I can request a loaner vehicle... Can I just drop my car off and get a loaner until they find a resolution?

I haven't even made my first payment on the 08 335i I bought a few weeks ago

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

To be honest, I'm not sure how loaners are distributed since I'm not in the service department. But I would give your local BMW a call and see if they can give you one since you recently purchased the car.

My Cars
    90 535i 08 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango Bob View Post
    Who in hell designs these cars?
    Definitely NOT the same people who have to work on them, that's for sure