Thread: 2001 325i ABS/TC Lights on, cannot figure it out.

My Cars
    2001 325i

2001 325i ABS/TC Lights on, cannot figure it out.

I've been trying to solve this issue with my ABS/TC lights. Here is a synopsis of everything I've done so far. I'm getting frustrated with this because I have 2 weeks to get the safety inspection done, one of which I have to go on a business trip for. It will fail with the ABS lights on. I"ll post pictures of what is current and relevant at the bottom. Here goes...

I bought the car being told a wheel speed sensor was bad and they replaced it, they said it would clear on my drive home. It didn’t. I had it checked out by a shop, they said the sensor was good, the wiring was good, but the pump/module was bad. The ABS/TC lights were on and yellow. No other lights were on. I replaced the pump/module, had it reprogrammed. I didn’t know I needed to initialize it. The front left sensor was not reading in INPA. I pulled the sensor and it was pretty rough looking so I replaced it. That did not clear up this issue.

It was suggested that the pickup ring for the sensor was bad so I replaced the wheel bearing/hub assembly, and that did not clear up the issue. It came to my attention that I needed to initialize, or activate, the ABS pump/module, so, using INPA I navigated to the ASC area and selected “Activate,” to which the pump did its thing with the noise and the pedal and all that. The lights cleared. I went in and checked for codes in the ASC and nothing was there. I thought I was in the clear.

This morning I started my car and I had yellow ABS/TC lights on. I plugged in INPA and read the codes. It said, 17 wheel speed sensor. I monitored the sensor status and all 4 sensors appeared to read accurately and evenly going forward and back, about 8 feet. I tried clearing the codes, to which the red brake light came on. I monitored the sensors while driving, at about 15mph INPA gave me an error saying the software couldn’t run the API something or another, this page isn't letting me link pictures, and the red brake light went out. INPA gave me the option to continue, pressing yes, or to stop the monitoring, pressing no. If I press no, the monitoring stops, the red brake light goes out, the yellow ABS/TC lights turn off then immediately back on and stay on. If I press yes, to continue monitoring, the red light goes out and the yellow ABS/TC lights stay on but the wheel speed sensors continue to monitor as before, showing all 4 sensors picking up movement accurately.

What am I missing?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Okay what did you purchase the sensor from? If it had "Made in China" on the box, there is a good chance that is why it isn't passing the initial test upon start-up. The ABS/DSC will conduct a initial BIT test to see if everything is working properly.

Since you are using INPA, can you post up the fault screen?
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 325i
    I hope this works, I've had problems getting this page to take images links...

Here is the error INPA is giving. It gives this error when I am watching the wheel speed sensor status and I get to 15-20mph.
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPLZCrH-9YA7O5GuKUPnNDj8ZWnplVrKvonamFVVkiv-_osbcWaPP4BuPR3Bb6Hag?key=ZGpiRVd0QXdCZTRqREoyckIw N2gyeTdHRk5xcE1R

Here is the sensor I bought.
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JkX0Eya1J3YjVn

So, new development. Last night I let the error occur but I pressed no, so all the lights turned off. I did a brake and swerve test and ABS and traction control functioned as it should. I let it sit over night, it's been about 8 hours now, and the lights are still out. I noticed that if I tried to pull new codes on the ABS it would light up the lights (ABS/TC and red brake light) and give me error #17 wheel speed sensor. If I pressed yes on the error it would pop up again for every item on the page until it went through all the items, to which the lights would come back on and ABS/TC would not function.

Thanks for the help!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    There is only three brands of ABS sensor I will trust: ATE, Bosch and Siemens. While Pagid make great brake pads, I have never experienced using any of their electronic products.

The screen I am looking for is on the F-4 side of that screen, going to need active and pending codes please.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member