Thread: LSX or S54 Wagon?

My Cars
    02 325i Wagon

LSX or S54 Wagon?

Hi All,

Kind of new to the forums and to the BMW world but not new to cars and swaps etc. I wanted to get some opinions as I recently got my hands on an E46 wagon that's in pretty good shape, chassis wise.
    The stock M54 is blown (overheated) and I don't know if I want to waste my time with even getting that working again as I've read the head studs in the block seem to lose its grip. Also the M54's don't have much resale value so no point in that.

The original plan for the car is to have an awesome daily (hence wagon) with a fun amount of reliable power (hence LSX). The car will be tracked on occasion (maybe 2 track days a year) and some spirited driving also.
    I'd like to take this car on a cross country trip also so reliability is high on the priorities.

Recently I've found out that a clean swapped (BAR legal) S54 E46 goes for a pretty penny and that's a bit hard to ignore as well.

So this brings me to a crossroads. What are your guys' thoughts on what to do? I'd ideally like to keep the car for a few years at least and enjoy it but at the same time, it's gotta make both financial sense and meet reliability.
    Also noting smog is not an issue as the car is not a CA car and I will be doing most, if not all, the work myself. I've been following Thaniel and his CAN bus info for a while and not too intimidated by all of this... yet.

Thanks in advance

My Cars
    z3
    A swap won't likely bring you any profit down the road, and a good LS swap will be about as valuable as a good S54 swap so I'd ignore that aspect.

It depends what you want really. I would LOVE an S54 E46 wagon, but I'd also love to make it all "OEM+"... widebody fenders on the touring, maybe Phoenix Yellow or some cool M3-specific color, full M3 M-texture cloth interior. That'd be so cool IMO (full swaps like that are also where youd get the most money if you sold)

For something just "fast" and cool, if you dont plan on doing other mods like body work or interior swap, then LS swapping and leaving everything else as-is is a good option.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Cliché but true, there is no replacement for displacement. So much more potential and value with the LS.
    Nothing like gently squeezing the throttle of a big lazy V-8 loafing along at 80 mph.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    BMW
    The aftermarket for domestic engines makes them very very tempting. My LQ9 build is slowly coming along and every time I price something I'm shocked at how inexpensive it is after years and years and years of dealing with "BMW tax".

That being said... S54 swap for the win! M3T!!!

-James

My Cars
    02 325i Wagon
    Thanks for the input all. I think it makes a little more sense to go the LS route (maintenance and the fact that I can get parts just about anywhere in the USA). Will be making a build thread soon.
    Interior will probably be for the most part left alone (maybe M front seats) and that's kind of what would turn me away from the S54.
    Bring a trailer was pretty enlightening for comparing prices and builds too for down the line when I get bored of this.

Side note, I know there have been a handful of build threads for this but they mostly seem to be drift cars. Off hand anyone seen a daily-able E46 LSX thread?

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    This is always the question haha I went S54! The car is awesome, I’m doing an LSX next

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pikachukiat View Post
    Side note, I know there have been a handful of build threads for this but they mostly seem to be drift cars. Off hand anyone seen a daily-able E46 LSX thread?
    Look forward to the build thread. I believe in the Conversions subforum there are at least two E46 builds; one twin turbo, the other with a Ford 8.8in rear swap.