Thread: 4 series owners. Any horror stories?

My Cars
    69Camaro 86300ZX 89325is

4 series owners. Any horror stories?

Long story short, I'm a perspective 4 series owner. I'm coming out of being an E30 owner of 8 years and worked in a BMW dealership for 8 long months. I had the opportunity to drive a 435i for a weekend while there and really liked it. I've talked to technician buddies at the dealer and they had only good things to say about them, but I'd like to get owner perspectives. I haven't posted on forums in a while, but figured it might be a good source of info.

Specifically I'll be buying an F32 (435i RWD manual) with the N55. I'd like to know if anyone out there has had problems that caused great headaches. Or even small ones. Luckily, I'm in a financial position to buy one, albeit, a few of years old. But I'm not so liquid that I can afford to disregard the cost of ownership if something goes awry.

I intend on buying one with at least 12 months and 12k miles left on the original warranty, so everything should be covered, but a year will run out quickly, and I want to plan/prepare for potential issues after the fact. So anything that seems to be consistent or anomalous cross the platform would be helpful.

I have been an automotive technician for over 20 years. I'm exiting the industry, but can still perform a great deal of work myself. However I know some things might HAVE to be performed by the dealer or someone with equipment to program certain systems/components after replacement.

Thank you.
    - Aaron / 1988 Super Eta. Other cars:

My Cars
    BMW MERCEDES BENZ
    Quote Originally Posted by NOKE325 View Post
    Long story short, I'm a perspective 4 series owner. I'm coming out of being an E30 owner of 8 years and worked in a BMW dealership for 8 long months. I had the opportunity to drive a 435i for a weekend while there and really liked it. I've talked to technician buddies at the dealer and they had only good things to say about them, but I'd like to get owner perspectives. I haven't posted on forums in a while, but figured it might be a good source of info.

Specifically I'll be buying an F32 (435i RWD manual) with the N55. I'd like to know if anyone out there has had problems that caused great headaches. Or even small ones. Luckily, I'm in a financial position to buy one, albeit, a few of years old. But I'm not so liquid that I can afford to disregard the cost of ownership if something goes awry.

I intend on buying one with at least 12 months and 12k miles left on the original warranty, so everything should be covered, but a year will run out quickly, and I want to plan/prepare for potential issues after the fact. So anything that seems to be consistent or anomalous cross the platform would be helpful.

I have been an automotive technician for over 20 years. I'm exiting the industry, but can still perform a great deal of work myself. However I know some things might HAVE to be performed by the dealer or someone with equipment to program certain systems/components after replacement.

Thank you.
    I own a E60 5 series and I'm not a auto mechanic but I know my way around a engine and how to turn a wrench lol. I'm also not to savy with computers but I have found out how to use it with my car. There are ALOT of helpful people in here and older posts on diy stuff with resets and such. I'm a one year new owner and I plan on buying another newer like you in the next 8 months but 535i msport.. Start learning the computer stuff, there so much to learn and mess around with. I use the carly OBDII plug and I can do coding, resets, battery indetification reset, and much much more.. I suggest investing in that. Good luck with your buy...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2014 BMW 428xi

Thank you.
    We came from a 2014 428xi which was my father in laws. The only real issue we had was a bunch of electrical in the dash. I never got it debugged because we traded it in for a 328xi GT.

Otherwise I never heard him having any real issues with it. I left my car in the same garage as his for 8 weeks and also had electrical issues, so maybe an issue with humidity and corrosion, bugs or just a coincidence.

Until he passed away he owned several BMW's and I never heard of any major issues. Always in the 3, 4, or 5 series.

My Cars
    69Camaro 86300ZX 89325is
    Quote Originally Posted by leifmadsen View Post
    We came from a 2014 428xi which was my father in laws. The only real issue we had was a bunch of electrical in the dash. I never got it debugged because we traded it in for a 328xi GT.

Otherwise I never heard him having any real issues with it. I left my car in the same garage as his for 8 weeks and also had electrical issues, so maybe an issue with humidity and corrosion, bugs or just a coincidence.

Until he passed away he owned several BMW's and I never heard of any major issues. Always in the 3, 4, or 5 series.
    Thank you for the reply. Electrical problems such as??

My Cars
    2014 BMW 428xi
    Thank you for the reply. Electrical problems such as??
    Lost power to the tachometer was the most obvious issue. No longer worked. It also started to feel like it was hesitating a bit when it was just warming up. Not sure if it was coil packs or low voltage or just ECU problems.

I wouldn't necessarily expect this to be normal. Could really have been anything. I did some searching when we had the car still and didn't see anyone else with this issue or really have any solutions.

My Cars
    69Camaro 86300ZX 89325is
    Lost power to the tachometer was the most obvious issue. No longer worked. It also started to feel like it was hesitating a bit when it was just warming up. Not sure if it was coil packs or low voltage or just ECU problems.

I wouldn't necessarily expect this to be normal. Could really have been anything. I did some searching when we had the car still and didn't see anyone else with this issue or really have any solutions.
    Did you ever find a fix for the problem?

My Cars
    2014 BMW 428xi
    Did you ever find a fix for the problem?
    Are you even reading my posts?

My Cars
    69Camaro 86300ZX 89325is
    Are you even reading my posts?
    Sorry. I skimmed. How many miles were on the car when that happened. If you recall.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 135IS
    Im goin on my 3rd f32 440i..
    2 so far im really impressed ..
    No issues ..
    B58 is boss ..
    Prefer it as my daily drive than both my f80 M3 cp & f10 M5

My Cars
    435i (2014); prev 328IS
    Noke: I bought a 2014 435i, (RWD) with 6-speed manual. I have driven manual transmission cars (all coupes) for the last 55 years. My previous car was a 1998 328is (RWD) manual tranny which I drove for 16 years. It was only in the shop three times for relatively minor issues. So I went ahead and bought the 435i. I really like the handling and engine/transmission. The transmission is pretty nice, although I think 1st gear is a bit too low. You can't stay there for long! As a retired guy, I'm not driving a lot of miles (19,000 after 3.5 years). My major complaints are the "IDrive electronics" which I find cumbersome and not real user friendly. And then there are the run-flat tires!
    But I think by now you can buy (order) a 435 this year with standard tires. I have had only one failure - a computer module. (Consumer grade electronics are always going to be a headache if you keep the car for a few years.)

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    I pulled the trigger on a 2015 435i M Sport over this weekend. I spent the last MONTH reading and researching and these cars are incredibly bullet proof. I think BMW learned a major lesson on their model lines from 2006-2012 (which were THE worst cars across the board, this kept me away from buying BMW).

FWIW - do the extended warranty. Yes, I know, I know... only schmucks go for that... like underbody coating right? BUT....

I'm one of those guys who buys extended warrantees because we have used them on ALL our used cars to come extent.
    I got my car from CARMAX. For the 435i... a 75k miles, 5 year comprehensive plan was $1800 (NorCal). It also allows me to go to any mechanic that can guarantee the work for 6 mo/6000 miles. Comparable plans for Red, Zurich, etc. were $2500-$4000.

Gone are the days were cars were simple and easy to work on. An extended warranty may add upfront cost to the purchase, but believe me, I've done $2500 extended warrantees and used over $14000 in repair services on one car. Even my old 2013 Subaru BRZ (rated most reliable car by consumer reports) popped a head gasket 29k miles. My $900 extended warranty covered SEVEN visits to the dealership repair shop.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    435i (2014); prev 328IS
    I have a 2014 435i (RWD) with manual. (I have driven stick for the last 56 years!).
    As with all modern cars, you'll have some electronics failures. It is just the price we pay for all this fancy stuff. Consumer-grade electronics will always be less reliable that we wished. I have 22K miles in 4 years, and have had two electronics failures (repaired under warranty, so I can't quote costs... sorry.)

The mechanical are solid as far as I can see.

Watch out for low ground clearance issues. That front bumper is REALLY low to the ground!

My Cars
    2015 428i
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a 2015 435i M Sport over this weekend. I spent the last MONTH reading and researching and these cars are incredibly bullet proof. I think BMW learned a major lesson on their model lines from 2006-2012 (which were THE worst cars across the board, this kept me away from buying BMW).

FWIW - do the extended warranty. Yes, I know, I know... only schmucks go for that... like underbody coating right? BUT....

I'm one of those guys who buys extended warrantees because we have used them on ALL our used cars to come extent.
    I got my car from CARMAX. For the 435i... a 75k miles, 5 year comprehensive plan was $1800 (NorCal). It also allows me to go to any mechanic that can guarantee the work for 6 mo/6000 miles. Comparable plans for Red, Zurich, etc. were $2500-$4000.

Gone are the days were cars were simple and easy to work on. An extended warranty may add upfront cost to the purchase, but believe me, I've done $2500 extended warrantees and used over $14000 in repair services on one car. Even my old 2013 Subaru BRZ (rated most reliable car by consumer reports) popped a head gasket 29k miles. My $900 extended warranty covered SEVEN visits to the dealership repair shop.
    Where did you find that warranty? I can't seem to locate it on the NorCal website...or did you mean Northern California?

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Thanks for asking.

I was referring to CarMax the auto dealership chain and their CarMax extended warranty program.

But rarely do any groups publish their extended warrantee costs. I have no idea why. I personally think they'd sell more of them.
    Then again, I *think* the price will fluctuate from make, model, and mileage.

Ok for CarMax - they WILL give you all the numbers up front if you ask. So you can get a breakdown of the car payments and the extended warranty cost breakdown (no pun intended). NorCal is Northern California yes. So numbers may vary if say you are buying in Texas or New York.
    Last edited by LuxoM3; 09-09-2018 at 03:23 AM.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    2015 428i
    Excellent, thank you, that changes everything for me. I live in SoCal, and am looking at 428i vs 435i and whether or not I should get an extended warranty or bank on discipline in the "set aside a warranty amount every month" arena...which I have little faith in. I've found most owners feel the engines in the 428 and 435 are reliable, with consistent raves about the N55 in the 435i...so how do I want to play this financially dangerous game...but 1800 for 75K miles/5 years comprehensive is incredible. So I guess that narrows it down to CarMax...who I sold a Jeep to a year ago...

My Cars
    BMW 435ix

new owner

My first post! Today I signed the paperwork for a 2015 435 IX convertible, with pretty much every option except HUD and auto park, neither of which I was interested in. I live in NYC so parking is a natural and I wear polarized sunglasses and learned my lesson on a 535 with HUD.

The other BMW's were leased but I am a car guy, as you can tell from the handle "vetmann" so I decided to buy and have some fun. I am torn about extending teh warranty for an additional 2 years since I'm a bit concerned about the hardtop mechanism which seems really complicated.

Any insights into this car greatly appreciated. I hope to be a regular on this forum.

Ray

- - - Updated - - -

BMW of Manhattan wanted much more than that to extend the warranty.
    Last edited by vetmann; 09-17-2018 at 06:56 PM.

My Cars
    2017 BMW 440i Coupe

Thank you.
    Recently purchased a 2017 440i M Sport from the dealership last year. So far we've had issues with electrical which was fixed with a software update however there is a low voltage problem which the dealership told us was our fault for leaving various things on but that isn't the case. Have an appointment later this month so hoping they can get to the bottom of this. If anyone else knows of any low voltage problems would be great to hear your resolution.

Thanks,
    D

My Cars
    2015 428i
    I got a 428i last week. I love it. Im glad to be part of the family.