Thread: Car won't start - no crank - automatic -- suggestions? please...

My Cars
    2002 530iA Sport

Unhappy Car won't start - no crank - automatic -- suggestions? please...

Hey guys,

So I just finished putting the car (2000 325i auto) back together from replacing the oil separator and hoses. That was a sucky project. The car sat for a long time though until I got back to it to finish the job and the battery had drained (derr). I first tried to jump it from my 530. Jumper cables from post to post (under hood) on both cars. I figured from reading that not enough juice in battery + boost so I left the battery charger overnight.

I haven't tested voltage, but seems juicy. I hooked up boost cables again and tried to start but again no crank. All I get is 3 clicks like everything is engaging, but the starter is not doing anything.

I've got several error codes which were from before starting the job except for one that I'm not sure was there: p1624 pedal position sensor potentiometer supply channel 1 electrical/m52 coolant thermostat coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp (168 a8 thermostat, map cooling. mechanical stuck open). While that error could be old, could that prevent starter from engaging?

Wondering if the car sitting for so long, maybe the car or key "forgot" each other? Is there no way to determine if not starting because of a lock, key, (EWS or whatever)? I'm also wondering if I can hook up DMM to starter to see if it gets signal to start, is that worth attempting?

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions for troubleshooting. I'm out in the garage with the laptop and car.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Clicking starter solenoid when attempting to start usually indicates insufficient battery voltage.
    Remove battery and charge overnight. After overnight charge,remove from charger.
    Use DMM to check for 100% of charge across battery terminals,
    should be (12.4v~12.7v).