Thread: Push button start question - help needed.

My Cars
    98 328is

Push button start question - help needed.

Hopefully this is the right place for this.

Background. My 328is E36 has the spinning key problem, but its not terrible yet. a bit of pressure as you turn the key and its fine. However, this is my drift car. I have a disability in my right hand that requires me to lean over and reach over the steering wheel with my left hand to start the car. The problem, if/when i stall the car on track after spinning or whatever, the only way for me to reach the ignition is to quickly get out of my harness and reach over. it doesnt feel very safe doing this.

Solution: Push button start placed within left arms reach! i was looking to install a panel like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AWWQY0QRS8CFS

in fact, there is a youtube vid that explains exactly how to wire up a 325is using this exact panel. shouldnt be too different from a 328is. The plan is to drill out the steering lock, and only use the key to activate the EWS so the car can start. And thats where my question comes in. Im not very good with electrical so please bare with me.

If i were to install this switch panel, can i just use the main power switch to activate the accessory and run position that the key has? my car doesnt have a radio and i cant think of a time that i have had it in the accessory position. so i wanted to be able to flip the main power switch and have everything come on at once, push the start button and go. and when i need to turn off the car, just flip the main power switch to off and thats that. i was hoping to use the other 3 switches for my electric fan, rope lights (i dont have a dome light), and a 3 way momentary rocker for the sunroof. If i can wire up the main power switch this way, how would i do this? would i need to go to a bigger amperage relay/swtich?

any help would be great. i suck at electrical.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The short answer is I'm pretty sure, yes. I don't know of anything that the ACC position powers that the RUN position doesn't (A QUICK look at my Bently diagram seems to confirm). So, simply wire/power the RUN position, and ignore the ACC circuit.

My Cars
    Many
    The answer is yes, if you wire it that way.

I used this video to help me through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOK0RyZZFeg

This also helps

[img]http://bmwz3diys.weebly.com/uploads/...start-copy.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by darbyfam; 11-05-2017 at 04:18 PM.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Appreciate the reaponses. Gonna figure out if i should buy a premade panel or make my own.