Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E36 TT3/ST3 Build (Reincarnation of a previous build)

My Cars
    Many
    Piddled a bit in the garage today. Got the side skirts installed, a single wire extended to help with placement of the loom, and got the doors painted to match the door cards

Last edited by darbyfam; 12-30-2017 at 08:40 PM.

My Cars
    Many
    Another day in the garage working on the punch list.

Today was:

1. installed sunroof delete with windshield silicone/adhesive
    2. Installed rear seat delete panel. This time i put a small strip of window insulation between the panel and the car to prevent the rattles it had in the last car.
    3. Installed the ABS pump mounts the previous owner had shaved from the shell
    4. Welded up the window net hardware
    5. Fabricated a new battery mount under the hood from an old floor pan.
    6. Installed the switch panel in to the vent delete panel

The plan tomorrow is to install the pedal box, brake booster/ABS pump, re-install steering column, install the water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure senders for the DASH2PRO, and install the motor/trans.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    that dash tho...

errr... the whole car

My Cars
    Many
    All goals accomplished on a short Sunday in the garage. Today's accomplishments:

1. Pedal box installed
    2. Brake booster/ABS pump installed
    3. Water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure senders for DASH2PRO installed and wires loomed.
    4. Motor and trans installed.

[

[/url]

Plans this week are to finish looming the wires under the dash, complete the digital dash wiring and get the dash installed and start with all the connections for the motor.

My Cars
    Many
    Got the wing supports installed today. These help transfer the downforce of the wing directly to the frame rails.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Do those support the trunk below where the wing is mounted? Or does the wing bolt to them once the trunk is installed?

My Cars
    Many
    When the trunk is shut, the trunk sits right on those supports. I had to drill the holes in them so the nuts for the wing mounts would sit flush. So any downforce created by the wing is transferred to through the wing to the aluminum mounts directly to the frame rails.

Last edited by darbyfam; 01-16-2018 at 05:23 PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Tell me more about the itb setup. Direct bolt on? How much of your gains to you attribute to the itb vs the custom tune/standalone?

Think they'd add 20-30rwhp with the stock dme and an existing schrick cam tune?

I can either run a restrictor plate and drop into TT5 or try and add 20-30rwhp and go into TT4....
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    Many
    Got some more work done on the car over the last few days. Working on the dash at this point. Got it test fitted and secured and then started working on all the wiring.

Although the wiring is much simplified from the stock cluster, there is still ALLOT of wiring for this dash.

The DASH2PRO has GoPro integration, so I ran that connection and a USB power cord to the camera location, loomed it all up and secured it along the floor.
    [/url]

Have another day or so of just wiring to get it all finished up.
    Last edited by darbyfam; 01-21-2018 at 06:22 PM.

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    Tell me more about the itb setup. Direct bolt on? How much of your gains to you attribute to the itb vs the custom tune/standalone?

Think they'd add 20-30rwhp with the stock dme and an existing schrick cam tune?

I can either run a restrictor plate and drop into TT5 or try and add 20-30rwhp and go into TT4....
    It's my opinion that these cars do like to breath. Each time I have increased the capacity for the car to move air, it has responded well. I went with the ITBs because of the increases I saw with a good intake, a BBTB and a free-flowing exhaust.

I think if you go with ITBs, you need a good tune to match them and the associated mods to go with it. I honestly don't think you would see 20WHP out the box without a tune to go with them.
    Last edited by darbyfam; 01-21-2018 at 06:22 PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    That's what I feared, without a matching tune it'd be a small gain.

Since I'm using the stock dme and (to my knowledge) nobody has a tune for the itb's I'd be out of luck

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    22rpd could probably do something custom on a dyno for pretty cheap. Randy at Epic surely could.

My Cars
    Many
    Agree with TXBDan. It's not a huge obstacle to overcome. Also look into MS3PRO PNP for E36. Super easy button.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Need to keep the stock DME, car is licensed for the street and is OBD2. I currently have an Epic tune from Randy, I'll ping him and see if he can tune for these itb's...

My Cars
    '98 M3
    You have any issues with air leaks on the itb setup? Between them and the head, or the throttle shaft?

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    You have any issues with air leaks on the itb setup? Between them and the head, or the throttle shaft?
    None whatsoever.

My Cars
    Many
    Haven't been working on the car much. It's Mardi Gras season in New Orleans and my restaurant has been hella busy with customers and King Cakes (look it up if you don't know what it is).

I did grab a new steering wheel from Murray when they had a sale a few weeks ago.

Got a new dead pedal installed (powdered coated like all the other interior parts)

Started getting rid of all my 18x10" rims and moving to 17x9" to make the new NASA tire width rules. Picking up used rims where I can.

Grabbed these Beyern forged rims from a local guy (traded a set of 18x10" for them)

Last edited by darbyfam; 02-08-2018 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    Many
    Spent a few more hours in the garage on Sunday.

Installed the rear glass from the wrecked car. While this car has not been to any of these tracks, the glass has

Installed the Mishimoto fan, fan shroud and overflow tank to the eBay radiator. Had to trim the shroud a little to fit to the shroud, which I am sure was more the radiator than the shroud

Finally put her on the ground after a few months on the lift. Looks like tires have good clearance everywhere

Started mocking up the front end bodywork. None of this is torqued down as I have a few things to do under the hood and want some access.

My Cars
    none
    Man this really isn't helping my need for a true track car build.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    E36
    Squeaky clean. Good job.

My Cars
    Many
    Spent a good 5-6 hours in the garage today with the assist of my brother-in-law. Things accomplished:

1. Shifter installed
    2. Drive shaft installed
    3. Clutch slave installed
    4. Diff fluid changed
    5. Plenum installed on ITBs.
    6. Corrected a few issues my BIL found with my previous work.

Have a good friend that is "good with wiring" coming over tomorrow to help button up all the wiring. Hope to have this thing running next weekend.

My Cars
    Many
    Messed around in the garage again today for a few hours. Got all the wiring loomed up and secured under the dash. Also played with a center console for the kill switch and the fire suppression (also for a future 1/2 DIN comm radio). This is V1 and I have some ideas for a much better V2 that will come later.

Tomorrow, I have a guy who used to build motors for AC Schnitzer's race team coming over to checkout the car. He now restores Ferraris but is interested in my build and wants to come over and lend a hand. Looking forward to his input and assistance.

Saturday I have a few friends coming over with the goal of finishing up and driving this damn thing.

My Cars
    Many
    Cleaned up all my grounds today after finding most were brittle and on the verge of failure.

Also got the seat and harnesses installed and the kill switch mounted in the center console.

Lastly, got the steering column in and mated to the steering rack.

Tomorrow is exhaust and getting the engine plumbed up with fuel and water. Hoping for a test start tomorrow.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    That interior is fire! Love all the progress! Do you have a first event targeted yet?

My Cars
    Many
    Scheduled for a shakedown on March 18 and then NASA event on March 24th. Still have allot of small details to work through, but expect to make it with no issue. The car fired up today!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast