Thread: Calling all engine timing gurus - need some advice on Schrick/Performance Cam Upgrade

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125

Calling all engine timing gurus - need some advice on Schrick/Performance Cam Upgrade

If we take a stock S70 engine and add Schrick Cams compatible with that engine and I do NOTHING else - what should I expect from the EDC and DMEs in terms of auto-adjusting spark timing or fuel injection timing?

Could this result in less fuel than required by the longer valve timing of the Schrick cams? What would that do to the engine, over time? Anything? Or a lot?

Looking for advice from folks experienced in this type of modification. If you've done the Schrick cam upgrade in your engine, M70, M73 or S70, I'd really like to hear from your experience and whether you were required to make any other fuel/air modifications in order to prevent damage and/or get the performance gains promised by this modification.

Thanks in advance,

Taylor
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Shrick cams can make a bigger difference on M70 engines, as the oem cams are milder than the oem S70 cams anyway.
    But the S70 Schricks are still slightly more aggressive than S70 cams, so you may see some improvement, just not as big as you will on the M70
    Keep in mind that "improvement" on the S70 is *maybe* 10-15HP and a bit of a sacrifice of low end power, since the Shrick cams shift the power band upwards. Lumpier idle too.
    No, you don't "have to" change the fuel maps - although there certainly is some room for improvement over the stock maps anyway, independent of what cam you have... but not actually required.
    Modifying the exhaust manifolds or replacing them with headers may change things for you too... it isn't just the exhaust ports in the heads that are restrictive.
    Cams alone won't give you an enormous gain in the S70 by themselves, but they do not *require* you to do any of the other things... just if you are really determined to squeeze out every little bit you can find.

Really, you'll get more bang for your buck from just remapping the chips, if you only want to do one thing...
    Last edited by cartoonz; 11-03-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    I think having a live tune done after the cam swap if the way to go, will get some more power.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    The 10-15 (maybe 20HP) increase will be unnoticeable in a 4200 pound vehicle, and for the cost of the cams ($$$$$), just not really worth it, except for maybe some bragging rights. If you want HP increases that you can actually feel, you have to go forced induction...
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    The 10-15 (maybe 20HP) increase will be unnoticeable in a 4200 pound vehicle, and for the cost of the cams ($$$$$), just not really worth it, except for maybe some bragging rights. If you want HP increases that you can actually feel, you have to go forced induction...
    What he said. The most benefit from a cam swap is realized when you modify your intake system, exhaust system, and torque converter as well. The big problem with moving peak torque higher in the rpm band, is you are effectively making your car slower at low rpm where your motor lives most of its life. What the 8 series really needs is a bigger motor. Big heavy cars need big engines making big torque numbers at low rpm. There is no replacement for displacement. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by 72tpik5; 11-05-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    '85 M635csi, '84 545i, 88 M3
    I️ installed Schrick cams on my CSi when I was replacing all the gaskets and figured since I was close enough might as well. I’d agree with others here that it’s not a huge difference. I️ think there is a little more pull in the top end but nothing scientific to back it up. I️ eventually plan to change the complete exhaust out and hoping I will gain dividends from the cams. The car right now is otherwise completely stock. Idle is butter smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    Taylor,

We all know what a perfectionist you are, so live mapping is probably the best way to go as Dragon mentioned.
    Dragon found a guy in Northern Ca that does a good job and results are self explanatory if you drive his car.

or if you have an emulator go in with INPA/DIS and play around with the numbers a bit, but time consuming.
    you also need a second person in the car so you can tune it at different rpms.

what I️ did for my S70 I sent my set of DMEs to Europe to one of our own forum CSI experts and he checked the DMEs for health and put a set of his own chips in there. His chips are the best I have seen. He also took his time and
    tested it in his own CSI car.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    I think having a live tune done after the cam swap if the way to go, will get some more power.