RM European Auto Parts

Thread: New to BMWs trying to find the best obd2 for me

My Cars
    E92 M3

New to BMWs trying to find the best obd2 for me

I recently purchased an 08 e92 M3 and have been having nothing but fun with it. But being new I want to start getting everything I need to keep this car healthy. Starting with an OBD2 scanner. I've obviously read that BMWs require certain scan tools but I'm just trying to get an assessment from people who have experience with this. I've heard that Carly may be the best choice for me as it is comprehensive and can show things such as oil level very accurately while other tools may not. This would be enticing to me as my car has no idrive and it's a very light spec electronically speaking. The options on my turn signal don't seem to ever work at all as every time I depress the BC button it returns me to the beginning and I obviously need to stay on top of oil. If anyone could offer any input/suggestions I'd be very appreciative.
    Last edited by ColdsLaw190; 11-03-2017 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Typo

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Correct, basic OBD2 is not enough. I wouldn't even bother with Torque and the like.
    Carly is fine for most people, and it's heavily based on BMW factory diagnostics.

I prefer a laptop and BMW's programs. On phone it's much harder to be productive and in depth.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E92 M3
    For the laptop to work do I need a specific cable that hooks up to the car? I've heard a little bit about the Bavarian Tech but I'm not quite sure I understand completely how it works. Is it a scanner itself or a cable that connects my car to my lap top which acts as the scanner from there? And does it come with the necessary software?

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Carly is around $40-50 for the app and about $60 or so for the adapter.
    I've been using it (iOS version) on various cars for about a year. Just about every car that wanders by my garage I hook it up if they stop long enough - just to test its capabilities.
    In general, it works well - and, it's nice to have it on your phone or tablet.

it will even read trouble codes on my OBD-1 e36.

It will read live data and can also perform coding functions. Carly is one of the easiest ways to get into coding.

On the downside, if you use the iOS version then their adapter is WiFi - which means you lose network access and so some of the features aren't usable.
    however, the big negative for me thus far is I seem to run into quite a few "unknown" or "undefined" codes - mostly on newer vehicles. I had a student at a track event with a '16 M3 where the transmission would go into limp mode in a very specific spot on track. I pulled codes but I didn't get any descriptions. Fortunately, we found a BMW tech at the event that knew the code and we were able to address the issue by changing our shift point - how's that for instructor knowledge, chris! gotta know how to drive around the software now too!

I want to pick up one of the Schwaben/Foxwell units to do some testing on my own, but, I have a bunch of scan tools already so hard to justify buying another!

I haven't personally used the Bav Tech gear, I've only researched it. I think it would work just fine on a newer car - but, for older vehicles (likely not in scope here) I think its pricey for what it offers. That said, from everything I can read its a high quality product.

As Abel points out - hard to vote against a proper software/laptop combo, but, it'd be nice to have something a little more portable - which, keeps bringing me back to the Schwaben/Foxwell unit from ECS\Turner. I'd check with them and see what their return policy on that device - the price is tempting (sub $200)...
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E92 M3
    If anybody could sort of flesh out exactly what the equipment and software they use with their laptop method I'd appreciate it. I'm not as knowledgeable in all of this yet as I'd like to be and I'm just trying to do what's best for my car so if there's a specific software to go with I'd like to investigate it deeply before making any decision. My car was assembled in Germany and brought to the states so I'm not sure if reading emissions may be problematic given it's gray market in that respect. I guess I'm wondering if there's a code reader I can use that will automatically give me that info regardless of the market of the vehicle. The impression I get is that this laptop option is the most comprehensive method so if anybody could link me to more info on it specificialy I'd really appreciate it. And thank you for the schwaben foxwell recommendation that's on my list of contenders at the moment

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    what do you mean your car is gray market??

many bmw's are built in germany but sold in the states.....
    what's the last seven of your VIN?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Nah, if you've got an E92 M3, it's not grey market. All E92 M3s come from the same assembly plant in Germany. Importing one that didn't meet EPA or DOT standards would be either impossible, or exceptionally rare. Many U.S. buyers of brand new M-cars choose to take delivery in Germany - there's a very popular factory program for this. As shadowpuck asked, post the last 7 of the VIN, and we'll tell you everything about your car.

From what I understand, the Bav Tech stuff is excellent -- IF you only ever want to use it on ONE CAR! That's the "Gotcha"....it does not work on multiple cars, just the one it's sold for. At least, that's what I've been told by several reliable sources. To me, that takes it off the list of choices.

From all I've read here, the Foxwell/ECS unit is very good for the price, and can converse with most or all of the computers in your car, and command most diagnostic and service functions. That said, it really has to be somewhat limited, compared to laptop based BMW factory programs. Abel (328Power04) is the expert on those laptop programs.

I have very limited personal experience with consumer level programs, but from all I've read here, and learned from Abel, INPA will serve you exceptionally well.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    bavtech has a range of products that work with 1 VIN, 1-3, or unlimited. i hadn't looked at their gear in a little while - the 1 VIN option isn't one to break the bank, but, if their model/feature matrix is up to date then i'm not so sure its great value for even that model's pricing.

i think, in the end - you have to decide what do you want to do, and how much fiddling/configuration do you want to do to do it? what's your budget? what's your knowledge level for working on cars? having the computer gear and access to the error codes produced is just one part of the equation.

in my experience, most folks that end up in this as a hobby (and certainly the pros) eventually make their way to multiple scan tool ownership. i like to play with computers so i have quite a few tools laying around, but they all seem to be good at different things.

that's why i was suggesting trying one of the more affordable options first to see if it gets you what you want. you can always upgrade to another tool later.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    OP, you should consider OBDFusion for your smartphone or tablet. It comes in iOS (Apple) and android flavors. It reads codes (duh), performs data logging and export, and has customizeable dashboards. Go to E46Fanatics and search for OBDFusion threads on which jfoj has commented.
    Btw, with iOS 11 and the right adapter the iOS version of OBDFusion uses Bluetooth as well as wifi.

My Cars
    BMW
    I have Carista, Carly, and DeepOBD on my phone (all three great apps and very handy), as well as a laptop set up for coding/scanning/etc, yet when my cars or friends cars pop codes I'm usually grabbing my Schwaben BMW Scanner. I prefer the scan tool style interface and usability over the apps. The app I use more for coding and logging that troubleshooting.
    -James

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    ECS is in good hands, here. We all like your company.
    But we try damned hard to avoid connecting to generic, VigLink type advertising....like when you click on the picture of the hand with your foxwell device. Maybe you'll be a little bit gentler, with this particular forum? We are on your side already.

CODING with a phone app? Oh, hell no.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    For basic coding it's not too scary, it was nice to be able to turn off the warning lights and angel eye bulbs in my E61 without having to pull out the laptop. For more in-depth coding, no way I'd go with the app.

-James

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Foxwell is currently having a sale on their NT510 model, $150

http://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesale...e-and-obd.html
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    ECS just put all of their Schwaben readers on sale, 25 percent off, which matches the Foxwell sale price for the NT510.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Tools-included!
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I am the founder of Carista and I can say this: if you get a decent OBD adapter, you're fine. The coding procedure for E-chassis BMWs is pretty short in terms of what's being sent from the OBD tool to the car and if it's not completed properly, the car just rejects it, i.e. nothing changes in the car's configuration and no harm is done. Now, on the F-chassis things are more difficult: the procedure requires writing multiple pieces of data, including a signature that must match other written data, so if something goes wrong there (e.g. you unplug the adapter in the middle or the adapter is crap and delays the communication), then there is a chance that the ECU will become misconfigured. Note that it's not "bricked" permanently, just misconfigured. Fortunately, the Carista app keeps a backup of the original configuration and can then restore it.

The Carista app handles all of those issues under the covers and basically, as a user, you don't need to worry about it. Especially if you drive an E-chassis BMW, coding with Carista is a lot safer than coding with, say, NCS Expert because NCS Expert is so ridiculously convoluted and unintuitive that the likelihood of you (the user) screwing something up is a lot higher. Note that Carista's F-chassis coding is still in beta until we figure out rock-solid way to weed out crappy 3rd-party adapters.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    I'd +1 on the schwaben/foxwell. It should pay for itself pretty quickly. I got one from ecs.
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Pete View Post
    ECS just put all of their Schwaben readers on sale, 25 percent off, which matches the Foxwell sale price for the NT510.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Tools-included!