Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z3M versus Z4M versus Z4 3.0si

My Cars
    99 M Roadster
    The registration thing is always such a bummer when the timing works out that way. Washington is the same way as California; even if the tags have better than twelve months it goes straight out the window. I've seen lots of folks wait until the Oregon tags are close to expiration before they report the sale. Not that I'm suggesting that of course.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    Any Z3 with automatic is undrivable mess of horrors, where Z4 has nice automatic box.
    Don't understand what are you refering to. Haven't driven any Z3, but one of my cars is automatic Z3 and it's a pleasure to drive even if I prefer manual. Diff ratio difference compensates most of the automatic drawbacks

My Cars
    e36 e39 367
    Quote Originally Posted by vanne View Post
    Owned 1 z3m, a few non M coupes and currently a non M roady 2002 3.0i. and a track specced z4m that was stock before I got a hold of it.
    By FAR the Z4M is the better ride, and by FAR the steering on the Z4M is so much more direct than the Z3, and have to completely disagree with the above post in regards to steering being muted, the steering is by far the best of any car I've driven. So much so that I have to psychc myself up these days to get in it and go for a drive. Though that comes from a compliment of other mods, not just the steering. The Z3 on the other hand feels like a loose goose, (in a good way) as it has , and you can feel feedback from it everywhere as the chassis twists like a wet towel.
    Both completely different cars. My Z3 gets driven a lot more than the Z4, and that alone should tell you that the Z3 is a nice ride, very soft and forgiving. The (MY) Z4 is not.

Attachment 614816Attachment 614817Attachment 614818Attachment 614819
    Very nice vanne!! The Z3M is, well, more like Rocky...raw and angry...whereas the Z4s is Ivan Drago...refined, efficient...we all know how that movie ends.
    Bumble Bee

My Cars
    e36 e39 367
    Quote Originally Posted by gomanual View Post
    The registration thing is always such a bummer when the timing works out that way. Washington is the same way as California; even if the tags have better than twelve months it goes straight out the window. I've seen lots of folks wait until the Oregon tags are close to expiration before they report the sale. Not that I'm suggesting that of course.
    Hey gomanual, not quite sure what you were saying on your post. My current Oregon tags don't expire until January 2019 (love the 2 year renewals up there lol). The thing with purchasing a car in Cali is that it's irrelevant where you are from/residing. If you buy a car here and want to drive it off the lot, there is no possible way to avoid paying taxes...tags can easily be transferred I suppose which is minimal...and that's only IF I trade in which I am not. So what I'm doing is trying to negotiate the tax/tags/shipping or whatever else into the 'out the door' price. Cash incentives no longer relevant in the car business I guess lol.
    Bumble Bee

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Quote Originally Posted by vanne View Post
    The Z3 on the other hand feels like a loose goose, (in a good way) as it has , and you can feel feedback from it everywhere as the chassis twists like a wet towel.
    That is polar opposite, I would say reactions on my Z3 coupe are very sharp and immediate. But it's 13 years a go when I drove stock Z3 Coupe and 12 years since I was going to buy stock ACS Z3M Coupe and drove that so I dont remember much, but loose goose is not something that would ever even cross my mind. Ofcourse roadster is different and it has been almost 10 years since I drove one so I dont have recollection from that either. Been as passenger in many but cant say anything through that.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by manny328i View Post
    Testdrove the red z3m today. Quick glance in the trunk, engine bay for gasket oil leaks and cooling system all seemed ok. It's got a Dinan cai and aftermarket exhaust (not sure what brand). Didn't really have that much time to negotiate but it's priced at ~$10k. I currently have an Oregon address and only here in California until the end of the year. Reason I brought that up is because of the sales tax. So California being California lol, I have to pay sales tax on the full amount regardless of trade in or not. Wasn't there a time where you only paid tax on the difference? Anyways, sales tax is a moot point. I can negotiate sales tax vs shipping cost to Portland I suppose. Just give me the dang car for $10k out the door haha.

Here she is...
    There hasn't been a sales tax on cars in CA, strictly speaking, for decades (if ever). Instead, there is a use tax which is equivalent to the sales tax rate wherever your residence is (state+local). And you never paid on the difference in CA, it's always been on the full value.

BUT you only have to pay that if you register the car. You can certainly buy the car without registering it. You can even get a proper title. But to avoid that big tax, register it non-op (in this case, it's called a "title-only registration") and you'll pay just the title fee. Of course, you'll have to live with not driving it on the street until you get to OR -- or just also buy a temp sticker that'll get you a few days.

EDIT: One more thought -- it sounds like this car is at a dealer. The chances that the person at the dealer who handles DMV transactions understands any of these nuances is very very low. Tell them that you'll register it yourself, and either take it out of there on a trailer, have it towed somewhere, or ask them to let it stay on their lot until you can get to the DMV or a private DMV handler and take care of it.
    Last edited by JoshS; 11-07-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    e36 e39 367
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    There hasn't been a sales tax on cars in CA, strictly speaking, for decades (if ever). Instead, there is a use tax which is equivalent to the sales tax rate wherever your residence is (state+local). And you never paid on the difference in CA, it's always been on the full value.

BUT you only have to pay that if you register the car. You can certainly buy the car without registering it. You can even get a proper title. But to avoid that big tax, register it non-op (in this case, it's called a "title-only registration") and you'll pay just the title fee. Of course, you'll have to live with not driving it on the street until you get to OR -- or just also buy a temp sticker that'll get you a few days.

EDIT: One more thought -- it sounds like this car is at a dealer. The chances that the person at the dealer who handles DMV transactions understands any of these nuances is very very low. Tell them that you'll register it yourself, and either take it out of there on a trailer, have it towed somewhere, or ask them to let it stay on their lot until you can get to the DMV or a private DMV handler and take care of it.
    Thanks Josh!! Very helpful info indeed.
    Bumble Bee

My Cars
    99 M Roadster
    Hey gomanual, not quite sure what you were saying on your post. My current Oregon tags don't expire until January 2019 (love the 2 year renewals up there lol). The thing with purchasing a car in Cali is that it's irrelevant where you are from/residing. If you buy a car here and want to drive it off the lot, there is no possible way to avoid paying taxes...tags can easily be transferred I suppose which is minimal...and that's only IF I trade in which I am not. So what I'm doing is trying to negotiate the tax/tags/shipping or whatever else into the 'out the door' price. Cash incentives no longer relevant in the car business I guess lol.
    Ah, well that's nice that Oregon will allow tag transfers. In Washington they won't let you do that. If I were to buy a car and register it in California, then a few months later bring it home it would be a "waste" of ten months worth of registration. I see I skimmed over your comment about just shipping it up, so I guess that won't be an issue for you anyway.

Happy hunting! I'm sure you'll love whichever car you pick.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    (snip) The thing with purchasing a car in Cali is that it's irrelevant where you are from/residing. If you buy a car here and want to drive it off the lot, there is no possible way to avoid paying taxes...tags can easily be transferred I suppose which is minimal...and that's only IF I trade in which I am not. So what I'm doing is trying to negotiate the tax/tags/shipping or whatever else into the 'out the door' price.
    When I purchased my Coupe in Arizona I got a shock when I was handed a signed off registration and then they removed the license plates from the car! Evidently the plates stay with the owner, not the vehicle! Not having thought to look into that ahead of time, I wound up driving the car to the SF Bay Area from Arizona with no plates or viable registration at all! Luckily I didn't get pulled over for no plates on the way up. Yes, I got royally nailed for the CA use tax when I got it registered, but I had already known about that.

Marty

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC
    Ive driven lots of Zeds with Auto's in them. The only one thats a bit slow to swap gears is the M44 powered one, the Sports mode on the late 2002 is actually quite sporty and works pretty well. I guess all Zeds are different, in a good way.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    To be honest my manual 2.8 was irritatingly slow when it was stock. Only now it is somewhat ok and inspiring. But when I will put bigger brakes on it, propably dulls it down again.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12