Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z3M versus Z4M versus Z4 3.0si

My Cars
    e36 e39 367

Z3M versus Z4M versus Z4 3.0si

Long time no post guys. Bumble Bee (Z3M) is still goin strong at well over 200k miles. I'm getting an itch for another one lol. I recently testdrove a Z4M and a 3.0si and suprisingly was not impressed by either one...too refined I suppose. Z3M just feels raw which could either be positive or negative depending on your perspective. So here's the deal, there's one of each model currently listed locally...Z3M w ~80k miles for $10k, Z4M w ~80k miles for $15k and the 3.0si w ~60k miles for $12k. It boils down to left/right brain again...the engineer in me wants to be logical but my personality is naturally intuitive. Heart wants an M, head says go with the 3.0si ugh. The Z4s are both a beautiful blue (interlagos and maldives) and the Z3M is imola red. Hmm? Decisions decisions. Anyways, thought I'd drop by and say hi. Feel free to offer arguments as to which is the best deal of the 3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bumble Bee

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    In a world where they make an ///M version of a car, why would you buy the non-///M version? The difference in purchase price between the three of them is negligible--buy the one you like the most. Keep in mind the Z4M is an S54, you don't say about the Z3M, but from the price I'm guessing its an S52. I myself wouldn't buy the 3.0, but like I said, if they make an ///M, I'll not suffer a lesser version in my garage.

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I agree with Mr Bingley on this and since I already have the S54 MZ3 I would tend to go with that one if service records are available for it , otherwise I definately get the feel and look of the Z3 over the Z4. The MZ3 is just that much more exciting to drive but the Z4 is more refined and softer and for me uglier, I hate the sharp lines. Give me the curves any day .

My Cars
    z3
    I actually really like the 3.0si, but wouldnt pay 12k for one if an M was 15k

Dont see much point in having two stock s52 z3m's... If you want something else but the z4 doesnt do it for you maybe try a whole different direction and look at some luxury cars or something?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    You can't go wrong with the Z3M or the Z4M at those prices. I might be tempted to get the Z4M for the sake of diversity.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    I would be asking why the Z4 M is so cheap honestly
    Have not seen one that cheap ever that was still driveable
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
    I would be asking why the Z4 M is so cheap honestly
    Have not seen one that cheap ever that was still driveable
    I agree so that is why I said he needs the service records of this one.
    Not sure I would trust it.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Doesn't the 3.0 have better torque at low range? Should be much more fun as DD than M, because the torque is what you feel with your butt, not the hp.
    I wouldn't say non-m is a lesser version. That's a car for different purpose. Servicing S54 might be not cheap too...

My Cars
    e36 e39 367
    Posted on the z4 board as well...apologies for the double post...wasn't sure if z4 owners talk to z3 owners lol.

Z4M is sold. It came from Canada through Washington and eventually ended up here in California. It had aftermarket exhaust, wheels and intake. Here she is from when I testdrove her last weekend.
    Bumble Bee

My Cars
    e36 e39 367
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Doesn't the 3.0 have better torque at low range? Should be much more fun as DD than M, because the torque is what you feel with your butt, not the hp.
    I wouldn't say non-m is a lesser version. That's a car for different purpose. Servicing S54 might be not cheap too...
    z4m 330hp 262 ft-lbs
    3.0si 255hp 220 ft-lbs
    z3m 240hp 236 ft-lbs

There's an urgency to my z3m that I didn't feel on the z4s for some reason. Not sure what the differences are in terms of gearing, steering and suspension but the z3m just feels more connected. Shouldn't these prices drop a bit more since winter is around the corner? lol

Here's the maldives si. I've always liked the bmw blues.
    Last edited by manny328i; 11-03-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    Bumble Bee

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by rboehl View Post
    I agree so that is why I said he needs the service records of this one.
    Not sure I would trust it.
    Yea but even with zero maintenance records yadayada it is still a steal
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    e36 e39 367
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
    Yea but even with zero maintenance records yadayada it is still a steal
    That's actually a nice blue. I've never seen interlagos before. Sure the new owner is enjoying it.
    Last edited by manny328i; 11-03-2017 at 06:46 PM.
    Bumble Bee

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    I wouldn't say non-m is a lesser version. That's a car for different purpose.
    I wouldn't say a non-M is a lesser version either--it is not a version all, but rather a Z3 that shares the same unibody--they are completely different cars in all other respects, and are not properly comparable, except that they are both BMWs for what that's worth.

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    In a world where they make an ///M version of a car, why would you buy the non-///M version? The difference in purchase price between the three of them is negligible--buy the one you like the most. Keep in mind the Z4M is an S54, you don't say about the Z3M, but from the price I'm guessing its an S52. I myself wouldn't buy the 3.0, but like I said, if they make an ///M, I'll not suffer a lesser version in my garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    I wouldn't say a non-M is a lesser version either--it is not a version all, but rather a Z3 that shares the same unibody--they are completely different cars in all other respects, and are not properly comparable, except that they are both BMWs for what that's worth.
    Good Lord...get over yourself.

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Let's not bicker, please. Respect opinions, debate, yada.

Terry
    Note 8/Tapatalk.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    z3
    I personally think a 3.0si would be an excellent compliment to a Z3M...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    My friends Z4 3.0si was as fast as my Z3 2.8 Coupe many mods a go. They are brisk but not fast. Z4M Coupe I have driven felt always like that it could do some freak movement when you cant foresee it - if one was to really start bend the envelope. Z4M is way faster than 3.0si.
    But both of them do nothing for me... Z3M with S50 has so much more soul imho, and lesser versions can be tuned to get that same feeling.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    My friends Z4 3.0si was as fast as my Z3 2.8 Coupe many mods a go. They are brisk but not fast. Z4M Coupe I have driven felt always like that it could do some freak movement when you cant foresee it - if one was to really start bend the envelope. Z4M is way faster than 3.0si.
    But both of them do nothing for me... Z3M with S50 has so much more soul imho, and lesser versions can be tuned to get that same feeling.
    I agree completely with you.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    I need to get me one of these Z3M so I can see what all the commotion is for myself.
    I absolutely love my my non M Z4 and having driven a Z4M Coupe I really did not feel it was that special.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by manny328i View Post
    z4m 330hp 262 ft-lbs
    3.0si 255hp 220 ft-lbs
    z3m 240hp 236 ft-lbs
    That looks like top torque, nothing to do with what I said earlier.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    It is honestly only your personal preference not some common truth.
    Last edited by Remotion; 11-04-2017 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    e36 e39 367
    Testdrove the red z3m today. Quick glance in the trunk, engine bay for gasket oil leaks and cooling system all seemed ok. It's got a Dinan cai and aftermarket exhaust (not sure what brand). Didn't really have that much time to negotiate but it's priced at ~$10k. I currently have an Oregon address and only here in California until the end of the year. Reason I brought that up is because of the sales tax. So California being California lol, I have to pay sales tax on the full amount regardless of trade in or not. Wasn't there a time where you only paid tax on the difference? Anyways, sales tax is a moot point. I can negotiate sales tax vs shipping cost to Portland I suppose. Just give me the dang car for $10k out the door haha.

Here she is...
    Bumble Bee

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe, M Coupé
    You can see from the numbers that the S52 in the early Z3M and the N52 in the Z4 3.0si have pretty similar performance. Comparing these two lets you focus on the differences between the platforms, though maybe not as well as S54 equipped Zs.

I like the Z4 3.0si coupe, but I love the Z3M coupe. I don’t know if an S54 and hydraulic steering would change that preference. The Z4 already has better features and stats than a Z3, but for me it doesn’t have better chemistry.

Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses. Prospective owners need to compare on their own to sort out what is decisively important to them.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Z4M has hydraulic steering but imho it is quite muted and more than one step removed from vicinity of what suspension and tyres are doing around you.
    What I would have to say for Z4 is that it is clearly another century car. Z3 has very hands on feeling but on negative side of the coin the NVH is horrible, similar to an old tractor where Z4 is generation ahead, yet still has quite a lot of harshness compared to lets say same age 3-series.
    Where Z4 3.0si is 2 generations ahead is automatic box. Any Z3 with automatic is undrivable mess of horrors, where Z4 has nice automatic box. So If someone wants automatic then Z4 3.0si is very good car and only solution from this pool of cars, ofcourse never Z4 took matters again to more modern and refined.

My Cars
    2007 Z4///MC
    Owned 1 z3m, a few non M coupes and currently a non M roady 2002 3.0i. and a track specced z4m that was stock before I got a hold of it.
    By FAR the Z4M is the better ride, and by FAR the steering on the Z4M is so much more direct than the Z3, and have to completely disagree with the above post in regards to steering being muted, the steering is by far the best of any car I've driven. So much so that I have to psychc myself up these days to get in it and go for a drive. Though that comes from a compliment of other mods, not just the steering. The Z3 on the other hand feels like a loose goose, (in a good way) as it has , and you can feel feedback from it everywhere as the chassis twists like a wet towel.
    Both completely different cars. My Z3 gets driven a lot more than the Z4, and that alone should tell you that the Z3 is a nice ride, very soft and forgiving. The (MY) Z4 is not.

wukhSeo.jpgdKgNlhk.jpg4aj25uh.jpgOJaDLx1.jpg
    Last edited by vanne; 11-06-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast