Thread: Doing ews delete in my 95 318i, need help

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i

Doing ews delete in my 95 318i, need help

I'm changing the dme in my 95 318i and I bought a used one and a dinan performance chip with the intention of doing an ews2 delete. The dme that was originally in the car was a 0 261 203 282 and the used one I bought is a 0 261 203 357 but those are supposed to be compatible dme's. Anyways, when I was grabbing my dme out of the car I looked at when my car was manufactured and it says it was manufactured in 10/94 and everywhere I've read said they didn't start putting the ews2 system in until 1/95 so I'm assuming this means I actually have an ews1 system. If so, is the ews delete still necessary and do I do it the same way as the ews2 delete? And on a side note, my car has been sitting since August due to a crank no start issue, I originally diagnosed it was the crank position sensor and replaced that and then we went to start it and it cranked still but wouldn't start unless we used starting fluid and then it would stall out once it burned through the starting fluid. Me and my friend/mechanic then realized the fuel pump wasn't turning on so I replaced the fuel pump relay and the entire sending unit and pump. But the pump still won't turn on and so I tested the fuel pump relay and wasn't getting 12v in pin 30 at all times like I should have been. So according to another thread on here they said to test the dme relay since it powers the fuel pump relay. When I tested the dme relay I was getting 0.1 in pin 30 and 85 where I was supposed to be getting 12v at all times in pin 30 and 12v while cranking in 85. So if the new dme doesn't fix the crank no start issue what else could it be? Because I'm completely out of ideas at this point besides the wiring.

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi

Doing ews delete in my 95 318i, need help

Chip without ews support means you deleted ews. Regardless of ews version.
    If you get spark, issue is not ews related.
    Fuel pump relay is activated by DME. Not with 12v but with a connection to ground.
    Last edited by ultimatetester; 03-15-2017 at 12:19 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i
    Oh I know the issue doesn't have anything to do with the ews, I just know in order to use a used dme in a ews2 system you have to delete the ews system by snipping a few wires and then putting a tuning chip in the new dme you're putting in and I didn't know if the deleting process is the same with ews1 as it is with ews2. And according to another thread on here the power goes DME---> DME Relay---> fuel pump relay and they said if i wasn't getting 12v at pin 30 on the dme relay at all times then the issue is in my dme or the wiring coming from it

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsuydan View Post
    Oh I know the issue doesn't have anything to do with the ews, I just know in order to use a used dme in a ews2 system you have to delete the ews system by snipping a few wires and then putting a tuning chip in the new dme you're putting in and I didn't know if the deleting process is the same with ews1 as it is with ews2. And according to another thread on here the power goes DME---> DME Relay---> fuel pump relay and they said if i wasn't getting 12v at pin 30 on the dme relay at all times then the issue is in my dme or the wiring coming from it
    DME relay activates the DME. The DME activates the fuel pump relay. So the correct path is: DME Relay -> DME -> Fuel Pump Relay.

My Cars
    95 BMW 318is
    Was the ews bypassed? My 95 318is wouldn't even crank. Put in a Dinan chip and cut #7 wire and spliced the two wires on the ews box. It cranks now but has no fuel or spark and has code 4321 (I know it doesn't exists)

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    12/94 build date cars were among the last to have ews1. Starting in Jan 95 BMW started with the ews2 system.

My Cars
    94 bmw 318i 1.8
    Newbie here can anyone help me with my 12/94 318i ? This car doesn't have ews system . No spark and no fuel ! Car was running and battery died with doors locked and now I can't get it started . Removed glove box and there is no ews unit . Does it have drive away protection ? If so can I bypass it ? Car will crank just not start . Really stumped here and need to get back to work