Thread: E39 steptronic conversion done

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i

E39 steptronic conversion done

I've read a lot of threads on this forum that have said that steptronic conversions are expensive, a lot of work, unrealistic, or even impossible. I was recently able to do this to my 1999 non-step 540i for a minimal amount of work and almost no money. It took me forever to do, just because of the limited amount of information available. If anyone else is interested, I could post how I did this. So far it is a blast, and I don't regret any of the work that went into it.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Thanks for sharing - if you have a write up that you did; we'd love to see it. We're always looking for new content to help fellow enthusiasts out. Take a look at the link below if you're interested in submitting the piece - if we publish your articles, we'll give you a credit and 10% off your next order. Please let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/...ubmissions.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by 540iSAM View Post
    I've read a lot of threads on this forum that have said that steptronic conversions are expensive, a lot of work, unrealistic, or even impossible. I was recently able to do this to my 1999 non-step 540i for a minimal amount of work and almost no money. It took me forever to do, just because of the limited amount of information available. If anyone else is interested, I could post how I did this. So far it is a blast, and I don't regret any of the work that went into it.
    I'm interested in doing the opposite, so if you have information that I could reverse I'd greatly and profusely thank you.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    This is the steptronic conversion doc from e38.org / Bimmerboard. Maybe that will help you reverse engineer - you will need some parts. Not sure why you want to do this, as leaving it alone, as an automatic should be all you need to do.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/576808

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    This is the steptronic conversion doc from e38.org / Bimmerboard. Maybe that will help you reverse engineer - you will need some parts. Not sure why you want to do this, as leaving it alone, as an automatic should be all you need to do.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/576808
    Thanks! I like better the ability to pick a certain range (1-4 or 1-3) instead of the steptronic which I find silly and lame. I love autos as much as manuals I just don't like the steptronic
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"