Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E34 535i turbo from DownUnder

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)

E34 535i turbo from DownUnder

So this is my first BMW and my first post on these forums. Have asked a few questions on the Facebook page and have had some good (and bad!) advice, so I figured it was time to start a thread on my car.

First, some background…

I bought this thing in March 2016, after having daily driven a 1965 Ford Galaxie (big block 390, bench seats, left hand drive – so cool) for the previous 6 years. That car was sold a few months back which means my E34 is now my daily driver. Anyway, I’ve always tinkered with older cars, mostly carb’d V8s but I’ve never had a “project” car as new as 1989.

So when I went shopping, I knew I wanted a 535i with a manual gearbox – auto would not do at all. There were a few for sale, most of them many thousands of kilometers away. Lots of high prices, virtually all of them had been molested in some way or other. And by far the cheapest for sale was the one I ended up buying. I flew down from Brisbane to Sydney (about 1,000km) to buy it sight unseen for three grand, and drove it all the way home. Previous owner had really looked after it mechanically; cosmetically it left a bit to be desired – hard leather, clearcoat peel on the roof/trunk, the odd dent, but anything it had needed in terms of repairs and maintenance, it got it, and to hell with the cost. My kind of car. Some pics from the ad:

So it’s a late 1988 build, Laccssilber metallic, Indigo leather interior with all the right option boxes ticked – sports seats, manual gearbox, LSD, M-tech suspension, air-con and so on. Had 250,000 km on the clock (just run in, then). Everything worked too. Some pics of it after the drive home:

And the build sheet vin decode thing:

I spent the first few months getting to know the car, replacing a few things and upgrading the odd piece here and there – brakes, front end components, an oil change, ignition, tyres and so on. Then I made the mistake of reading up on some threads where people had turbo’d them. That was a mistake, but I figured I could do it and down the rabbit hole I went.

- - - Updated - - -

My goal at the outset was to keep this thing stock on the outside. I don’t like bodykits, I don’t like stickers and badges, aftermarket wheels… this was going to be a sleeper. Whilst I could’ve bought an M5, I wanted one that WASN’T an M5, but had the balls to blow one into next week should the mood take me. So a few months after I bought it, I went shopping.
    After considerable research (and I won’t bother going into why I chose what I chose because that would take too long!), I ended up buying the following main bits:

Good N Tight manifold:

Add a TiAl 44mm wastegate and a GT35R turbo (Garrett knock-off):

The rest of the bits I never actually took any pictures of, but they included a MS2 PNP ECU, Bosch 42lb injectors, an Innovate wideband and few other pieces. They’re not all that pretty to look at, so forgive the lack of pictures.

Now, there were a few hurdles that I had to overcome. First of all, I didn’t want to ditch my aircon, and I didn’t want a massive front mount intercooler giving the game away either. Oh, and I didn’t want to cut my bumper up. And I didn’t want to fit an M5 bumper either, because that’s not sleeper.

Several experiments were undertaken and I lost track of how many pieces of foam I cut up, or how many times I removed the front bumper before I settled on an off-the-shelf front mount air-air intercooler. Given my self-imposed constraints, I didn’t have room to play with.

So this enormously thick condenser fan had to go:

Once removed, I played around with some foam to see what I could jam in there:

And in the end, I found that I had enough room for a small front mount, so I bought one of the right size, painted it black for stealth and mounted it up:

So to those that say you cannot mount an air-air intercooler under a stock front bumper bar, yes you can, but it has to be quite small. And the stock condenser fan needs to be replaced with an aftermarket thin one – I think mine was a 16” Aeroflow item. Stock wiring used to hook it up, works exactly as intended.

Another piece of the “must keep my air-con” puzzle was apparent after I ripped out the stock exhaust system and offered the massively heavy turbo manifold to the head. Air con lines are right in the way:

There wasn’t anything I could really about that, so after I bolted the turbo and wastegate down, it went off on the back of a truck to my exhaust shop, where I made that problem theirs!

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)
    A week or so passed, and then I got the call that my car was ready. So booked another truck, and brought her home:

My instructions to the exhaust shop were quite simple… 3” mandrel bends all the way, make it quiet, twin tips, V-bands in the right places, chop the air con lines… oh, and have fun getting past the steering box. Yep, this was another problem area for me. Because my car is RHD, the steering box is right in the way of where you want plenty of room for a dump pipe. Ever wonder why they put M88s into the RHD E23 745i rather than the M106 in LHD cars? Steering box is in the way. Same issue here.

But they (literally) got around that problem, and my dump reduces to 2.5” and the firewall, and opens back up to 3” when room allows.

I actually got them to put another muffler in there after a few months as the drone was unbearable – the car sounded like a 600bhp Supra, which isn’t what I was after at all, but another big muffler in the centre section helped massively.

Now it was time for my bit, so I taped a list up on the windscreen and got to work.

Drilling and tapping the sump was worrisome, but worked out OK:

Then hooking up the oil feed and drain lines:

Then it was time to run the hot and cold side pipes to the intercooler, which was pretty straightforward:

And then swap the injectors out:

Jam the new ECU into the box at the front of the car, running the wideband gauge and USB cable to the glovebox on the other side of the car:

And then away we went! I had several problems trying to get a good idle, but overcame those with a lot of fiddling. And then there was the overboost protection to ramp up, and lots of time spent playing with Tunerstudio to get it all working properly.

Drove it around, sometimes with the laptop plugged in doing an autotune, most times without and 7 months after install finally got the air-con hooked up again:

- - - Updated - - -

So as of right now, I’ve done about 12,000km in 10 months, running 7.5lb of boost on wastegate spring pressure only. Stock engine.

Everything is holding together well. The clutch sometimes slips when you’re really going for it, but when that needs replacement I’ll get a single mass unit. No point changing it out yet. I haven’t had it on the dyno yet, but the tune I have created from scratch seems to be going just fine – I run it on 98 fuel all the time, no knock at all, plenty of power. If I had to guess, I’d say close to 300bhp at the crank, but mid range torque is just sensational.

I use it to run the kids to and from school, going to the shops, going on a Sunday drive blasting through the countyside… you name it, it’s a true daily driver and awesome fun to smash around in. Here it is relaxing a friend’s rural property after a very spirited drive through the twisties:

Mission accomplished? Well, I’ve never driven an E34 M5, but I honestly believe it would destroy one in a straight line, up to 100mph anyway. So much torque.

Next jobs on the list is a reversed throttle body mod on another B35 intake I have for better intercooler piping, and then it’s time to change springs in the ‘gate, put the ARP head studs in and wind her up to 10lbs with a tune to suit. At that point I’ll probably have to do the clutch as well, and I have a spare MLS head gasket on standby if required! But I think she’ll hold together just fine at 10lbs…

If interest is shown, I’d be happy to keep this updated with various upgrades as and when they happen. Also feel free to ask me any questions on the whole thing – we’re all here to learn, and I’m no expert but I do remember what I did right, what I did wrong, and what worked for me.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 530i
    Neek, nice car! I have an '88 with laccssilber metallic paint, Indigo cloth interior, and am heading down the megasquirt / turbo route as well. Thanks for taking the time to document what you've done.

I see in the engine bay pic you have the idle valve installed, in the end are you still using it? Either way, how is your idle performing? I'm at the stage in my MS build where I've built the appropriate idle circuit but can't get the valve to move, and am thinking of ditching it. I had done this on another turbo build (Audi 5 cylinder) but could never get the idle working quite right, without the valve, so I'm hesitant.

Barry

My Cars
    x5 330i 525i all stick
    Nice work, you have some skills.
    Do you have smog laws in Australia or can you do what ever you want?

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)
    Quote Originally Posted by q20v View Post
    Neek, nice car! I have an '88 with laccssilber metallic paint, Indigo cloth interior, and am heading down the megasquirt / turbo route as well. Thanks for taking the time to document what you've done.
    No trouble! I've left out all the bits I did wrong because there's no need to embarrass myself. You won't regret turbocharging it - I only miss two things: 1) the stable idle I had with the stock ECU and 2) the induction noise when flooring the M30. Otherwise, it's by far the best thing I've ever done to any car I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by q20v View Post
    I see in the engine bay pic you have the idle valve installed, in the end are you still using it? Either way, how is your idle performing? I'm at the stage in my MS build where I've built the appropriate idle circuit but can't get the valve to move, and am thinking of ditching it. I had done this on another turbo build (Audi 5 cylinder) but could never get the idle working quite right, without the valve, so I'm hesitant.

Barry
    I do have the ICV working, yes. I bought the MS PNP version so I have no idea what goes on inside the black box - electronics are not what I'm good at. I had huge problems controlling my idle when I started playing the Megasquirt - it started up fine, but then oscillated between 400 and 1000 rpm before it stalled. With or without the ICV, it performed the same. I managed to tweak a few things and get it pretty good in the end, but for the moment my ICV is hooked up. The other week I did disconnect it (just removed the plug on the back of the ICV to see what happened) and it didn't make much difference to be honest. But that's in warm weather - I have no doubt that in winter it would be doing something to help control idle. I'll experiment more when I do the throttle body flip on my spare manifold, as I'd like to ditch the ICV to make the engine bay look neater; if I can, anyway. But I'll let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by OGM3 View Post
    Nice work, you have some skills.
    Do you have smog laws in Australia or can you do what ever you want?
    Out here we're actually quite strict in what you can and can't do, and most modifications require the sign-off of an approved engineer, including turbocharging a NA engine. You even have to do (legally, at least) get a modification plate for coil-overs, or putting on a larger brake kit. But no, there are no smog laws to comply with, other than if the car came with a catalytic convertor it needs to have one. I have a hi-flow cat in my exhaust system. Other requirements vary from state to state; for example, in NSW your car needs to pass a roadworthy inspection every year (a fail means you cannot re-register it for another year), but where I live in QLD this is only required every time a car changes ownership - after that, no inspections required annually.

Oh, and skills? Nah, I'm not that good. All of this stuff is bolt-on so if you know which way spanners and sockets go, it's pretty easy. I know my limits, which is why I farmed out the exhaust work. But that was the only bit I didn't do... oh, and getting the air-con working again - that was a job for someone with more expertise in that area than I.

My Cars
    2x 93' E34T + 95' 750iL
    For a second, I thought those sport seats were ultramarine. Either way, they're still blue. Please sell those to me.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creesic View Post
    For a second, I thought those sport seats were ultramarine. Either way, they're still blue. Please sell those to me.
    No. Fucking. Way.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Where were you when I was desperately trying to unload an indigo interior? The seats wound up in an old Chevy pick-up hot rod as no one with an E34 wanted them.
    Member South42 is currently parting a car with blue interior.

@OP Car and your post both well done. Please report back after wiping the smile from some ///M driver's face.
    Last edited by ross1; 11-02-2017 at 06:54 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    Looks a great home brew setup. More boost would be great as long as the tune is spot on. M30’s with moderate compression can cope with 450-500bhp no problem. U will definetly need that new clutch as well.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    @OP Car and your post both well done. Please report back after wiping the smile from some ///M driver's face.
    Haven't had the opportunity yet - but I did give a modern Subaru WRX quite a fright a month or two ago! Was satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by GazM3 View Post
    Looks a great home brew setup. More boost would be great as long as the tune is spot on. M30’s with moderate compression can cope with 450-500bhp no problem. U will definetly need that new clutch as well.
    I'm gonna stick to 10psi I think - any more and it becomes quite angry and is too much for a daily. During my initial phase of tuning, I found some dirt in the wastegate line which is why it kept hitting the overboost protection/fuel cut on my ECU, which I'd set at 9psi:

Before I found the offending bit of dirt (which of course meant that my wastegate spring didn't move because it was only seeing about 2psi at most!), I did turn the overboost protection off and hooked up the laptop to see when it would cut out, as part of my "WTF is going on here?" investigating. Rolled into it and got to a bit under 15psi in 2nd before I bottled it. Only time I've ever been in a faster accelerating car was as a passenger in a 415rwhp 1971 Falcon, and that car ran mid-to-high 11s all day long.

10psi will be plenty, I think.

My Cars
    2x 93' E34T + 95' 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeek View Post
    No. Fucking. Way.
    Money.
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Where were you when I was desperately trying to unload an indigo interior? The seats wound up in an old Chevy pick-up hot rod as no one with an E34 wanted them.
    Member South42 is currently parting a car with blue interior.

Sport seats. Not comfort. I already have those.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)
    So some minor progress on this thing... swapped out the lower control arms because one of them was dead:

Did a skidpan day the other week which was great fun. Some pics:

And the next phase of the turbo upgrades - reversed throttle body on my spare M30B35 intake manifold:

Not sure when I'll have time to throw this one in, but will do the rocker cover in wrinkle black as well, so once done my engine bay will be much tidier, and I should get a colder intake charge from the pipes not snaking over the top of the hot engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5
    Did you need to do any special cutting to get the intercooler piping to work in that position? I have one of a similar size.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    '95 E34 525i, M50B32 (S52 Crank, K1 Rods, JE 9.0:1 Pistons, S52 Cams, Cutring, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft & Sprocket), GTW3684R 0.82A/R, ZF320

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMePuff View Post
    Did you need to do any special cutting to get the intercooler piping to work in that position? I have one of a similar size
    I had to clearance a very small area to get the pipe to fit behind the bumper on the cold side. Otherwise, nope.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5
    I had to clearance a very small area to get the pipe to fit behind the bumper on the cold side. Otherwise, nope.
    Nice! Do you think that there was any room for a slightly taller intercooler? I don't think mine is quite as short as yours.

'95 E34 525i, M50B32 (S52 Crank, K1 Rods, JE 9.0:1 Pistons, S52 Cams, Cutring, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft & Sprocket), GTW3684R 0.82A/R, ZF320

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)
    Nice! Do you think that there was any room for a slightly taller intercooler? I don't think mine is quite as short as yours.
    Maybe, but we'd only be talking about half an inch here or there. I did lots of measuring..!

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Great car, and welcome from another aussie.
    I bought my e34 about 6 months ago. At the time I was tempted to buy a 535i and turbo it as I know it's common in the US, but then I had second thoughts due to our steering box location. I ended up getting a 525i and I still dread anything to do with the exhaust side.
    It's really great to see it can be done. Lots more manual 535i's around than 525i's, so if I ever get a second e34 I just might go that route too.

E:
    Ha Ha, same. My e34 has ultramarine but previous owner tossed the seats, shifter and handbrake console and glovebox for parchment leather seats and plastics. I still have blue dash, door cards and carpets fitted and I really want to replace the beige stuff the PO fitted. Every time I see blue interior parts I want them as well. Not much chance though so I'll end up painting them I guess.
    Last edited by fo3; 12-12-2017 at 01:31 AM.

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    The revised throttle body location will neaten up the look under the engine bay for sure and minimise all those bends and keep the discharge line from the intercooler over towards the cool side of the engine.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)
    Quote Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
    but then I had second thoughts due to our steering box location. I ended up getting a 525i and I still dread anything to do with the exhaust side.
    It's really not that bad. I was thinking that the exhaust mob were going to have a hard time of it, but it really wasn't too hard. The actual dump pipe isn't a complex shape or anything:

I guess you just need to know what you're doing. Was beyond my pay grade, but they did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by GazM3 View Post
    The revised throttle body location will neaten up the look under the engine bay for sure and minimise all those bends and keep the discharge line from the intercooler over towards the cool side of the engine.
    That's the idea! I doubt it'll really help performance wise, but it will look a lot neater. Few other jobs on the list to do before I swap the new intake in, though...

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    That's the idea! I doubt it'll really help performance wise, but it will look a lot neater. Few other jobs on the list to do before I swap the new intake in, though...
    Who knows. The idea is to reduce intake volume between turbo and engine. Faster spool, you know That's a part of a secret in how they make new cars spool so fast.
    I wonder how water to air intercooler would do, you can place that one with stock intake config and make whole line much shorter

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)
    Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    Who knows. The idea is to reduce intake volume between turbo and engine. Faster spool, you know That's a part of a secret in how they make new cars spool so fast.
    I wonder how water to air intercooler would do, you can place that one with stock intake config and make whole line much shorter
    Spools pretty quick as is..! But yeah, it's something that's going to happen.

WTA intercooling is definitely a thing - there's a guy in Brisbane that's gone down that route, but I've not had the chance to catch up with him and check out his install. But I do have these pics of it:

I wanted mine to be easier to package, and cheaper. My entire intercooling set-up cost me maybe a few hundred bucks, whereas a WTA kit runs into a few times more than that. Then there's the plumbing, electric pump, condenser... much more hassle than ATA, and both systems have their ups and downsides. Happy with mine.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5
    Where did you end up tapping for the oil drain? Is that the sump that you mentioned in the initial post? And did that involve much work?

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    I wanted mine to be easier to package, and cheaper. My entire intercooling set-up cost me maybe a few hundred bucks, whereas a WTA kit runs into a few times more than that. Then there's the plumbing, electric pump, condenser... much more hassle than ATA, and both systems have their ups and downsides. Happy with mine.
    Actually that picture looks very neat. Yeah, it will cost more, but coolness factor I wonder how much it cools that air, really.. My M3 got the same setup, but intercooler about 2x bigger.

I was checking eBay, those WTA intercoolers can be bought cheap. Only thing to watch is air temp, in case pump goes out, etc..

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i (E34)
    Where did you end up tapping for the oil drain? Is that the sump that you mentioned in the initial post? And did that involve much work?
    Yep, into the sump. Here's the first go, which was a brass fitting. It's now an AN fitting in there:

Was nerve-wracking! Fill the drillbits with grease to catch all the swarf and started with something like a 6mm bit. Then a 10mm bit. Then the Christmas tree bit to get it to the right size (all covered in grease, going VERY slowly).

And finally, ran a hand tap into the hole to cut the thread:

Was pretty easy really, but you don't want to mess it up (or make the hole too big!)...

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5
    Yep, into the sump. Here's the first go, which was a brass fitting. It's now an AN fitting in there:

Was nerve-wracking! Fill the drillbits with grease to catch all the swarf and started with something like a 6mm bit. Then a 10mm bit. Then the Christmas tree bit to get it to the right size (all covered in grease, going VERY slowly).

And finally, ran a hand tap into the hole to cut the thread:

Was pretty easy really, but you don't want to mess it up (or make the hole too big!)...
    Wow thanks for the pictures! Very insightful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast