Thread: OBDII scanner for BMWs

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

OBDII scanner for BMWs

So I was wanting to purchase a scanner for my car. I wanted something that could also look into steering issue as well because I have powersteering problems.

Just looking for recommendations and reviews.
    Photbucket looking to make extra money......

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    OBD2 isn't going to help with steering at all. That's all mechanical.

There are basically two options for scan tools. The cheap (<$30) option is to buy a wifi or Bluetooth OBD2 dongle, plug it into the port, and then use the iOS/android app of your choosing to connect to it and view all the data/codes. The expensive but more comprehensive option is to buy a professional scan tool like this one https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/ . These will give you more detail about error codes than most phone apps will, but cost many times more.

Personally, my phone app has been fine for me. It's told me when I had a misfire on a cylinder caused by a bad coil. I also use it to feed data to my phone for the purposes of overlaying this data onto my lap videos at the track.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    04 Z4 3.0i 6MT

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    A better option is the Foxwell nt510 for $155 with free BMW specific software when you register it.
    http://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesale...e-and-obd.html
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 11-01-2017 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    I would say the best option for your car is to get INPA or ISTA, which are BMW's factory & dealer diagnostic tools. You need a K-line cable for BMWs, which is not difficult to find (it has to have a K-line connection on both pin 7 and pin 8). The only issue is they are usually pirated, so maybe that's a no-go. I would suggest my own app, Carista, but it's not compatible with the E85 Z4 for anything more than standard OBD2 diagnostics... so I'm not suggesting it

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Actually the power steering isn't mechanical (only the M line has the hydraulic power steering) it's electric. It's a major issue and I'm really wanting to find out whats going on. Power steering not working on this car sucks. I've had multiple cars in the past have the power steering not work and none of them were like this.

I think I have an o2 sensor gone bad, but I'm unsure right now. I even went to Autozone and had them "attempt" to look up the code but it came back saying my car is a honda civic. It worked once like 4 months ago, thats when the original o2 sensor came up. But then the light turned off and I forgot about it. But now it's back on.

My Cars
    z3
    An OBD2 scanner will not give you information on the steering system. OBD2 scanners only give you OBD2 codes.

If you want to read the electrical steering system stuff, you need a diagnostic computer. A cheap laptop running INPA with some cables works for most people

If you want an OBD2 reader, just buy a decent used one on eBay. I use a Craftsman OBD2 reader I paid $50 for. I wouldnt pay more than that (the $20 give the SAME CODES... the $50 ones might last a little longer... anything more expensive is a ripoff unless it does chassis specific stuff IMO)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Hmmmm....I do have extra laptops sitting around....

- - - Updated - - -

so if I were to get a OBDII --> USB and then run INPA software on my laptop, would that suffice for my my need to get the powersteering issues looked at?

My Cars
    1992 750iL highline
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    An OBD2 scanner will not give you information on the steering system. OBD2 scanners only give you OBD2 codes.
    True in most cases, but not all. I made an app that can actually connect to all modules in the car via an OBD2 dongle (since the standard OBD2 dongles actually support some configurability in terms of how to connect to the car). But unfortunately, it doesn't work on the Z4 because of the older variation of the K-line protocol that's used on the E85... and that one IS proprietary. Just wanted to make this clarification. The Z4 basically uses E46 electronics, which are pretty old.

My Cars
    EXOTICS

My Cars
    EXOTICS

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    The Creator 310 does everything for me so far.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5
    I used mine to replace brake pressure sensor number one, so far it's cleared fault and hasn't come back.

My Cars
    2015 x3, 2015 528i,
    Hey, did you ever find out what was causing your problem with the electric steering in your BMW? Im having an issue with mine steering in my 2015 X3

My Cars
    2015 x3, 2015 528i,
    Would your app be compatibile with a 2015 X3 i28 turbo?