Video tutorial on how to replace the driveshaft flex disc and center support bearing on a BMW E39. For this video I am using a 1997 BMW 540i. This car is a manual with M sport suspension, so there maybe slight differences with an automatic and ground clearance will definitely be tighter due to the lowered suspension. My car has about 260,000km so it’s hard to say if these flex disc or center support bearing has ever been replaced. A faulty center support bearing can failing in two ways, either the bearing being worn out or the rubber damper eventually wearing out. With a bearing you may notice a clicking or groaning noise when driving. The will only happen when the vehicle is moving. As for a failing rubber, this will cause a clunking during take offs or removing your foot off the accelerator or you may notice vibrations when the vehicle is moving. A faulty flex disc will cause vibrations during driving, harder gear changes, and vibrations under hard acceleration. A flex disc is intended to provide a smoother feel when driving.

Tools/Supplies Needed:
-new guibo (flex disc)
-new center support bearing
-medium grade threadlocker
-paint marker
-socket and ratchet set
-wrenches
-jack
-BMW body nuts (#07146949380)