Thread: Drove BMW Through Water (Saved It From Hydrolock) Questions.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i XDrive

Drove BMW Through Water (Saved It From Hydrolock) Questions.

Hey guys, first post on here but I have a few questions.

This morning I drove through a very large puddle (curb hieght) at 6:30AM so I had no idea it was there. I was turning left and probably going around 20-30km/h when I hit the water and a wave hit the front of my car.

I immediately hit the brakes and slowed down and drove out of the water. Not even 5 seconds later my car gets bogged down and my RPMs won't go over 2k.

I put my car in park and put on the 4 ways while white smoke is coming out of my exhaust. I sit there for a bit realizing I may have damaged the car, but it's running so I know I didn't hydrolock it. I then try to drive it, but it still won't accelerate so I pull into a parking lot.

I keep the car in park, slowly revving the engine to keep it running. At this point I have looked online and understand I may have had water enter my intake. My car is now able to rev to 5kRPM so I go to drive it only to have it bog down again and stay around 3kRPM.

I then decide to call a tow truck and have it checked at BMW.

Is my engine screwed? Or is the intake just wet and needs to be dried out?

Any help would be appreciated so I can go into the dealership with a better understanding. Sorry for the long story.
    Last edited by LambeauLeap; 10-30-2017 at 11:27 AM.

My Cars
    3 Series
    The electronics on your car are wet. I'd start with the MAF.

The white smoke was steam coming off your hot exhaust when it came in contact with the water.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i XDrive
    The smoke was coming out of my exhaust directly. It would increase as I revved the engine.

It went away when I was able to get to 5kRPM and drive it in circles a bit, however when I would accelerate driving in circles it bogged down again and the white smoke would continue.

My Cars
    3 Series
    When exhaust system gets hot, and the water inside of it reaches 212F, it will begin to boil and change into steam that exits through the exhaust tail pipe. This thermal reaction will continue until all the water is gone from the exhaust system, or the exhaust cools down.

My Cars
    2013 328i

Steering issue from driving through massive puddle

I drove through a huge puddle last night, i dont even know how deep but it was an uphill turn to a parkway. The water was so deep, but i go through no problem. No issue with the engine but now i cannot turn my wheel without the front wheels locking up, driving straight is not an issue. Is this safe for me to drive or should i have it towed?

Quote Originally Posted by LambeauLeap View Post
    Hey guys, first post on here but I have a few questions.

This morning I drove through a very large puddle (curb hieght) at 6:30AM so I had no idea it was there. I was turning left and probably going around 20-30km/h when I hit the water and a wave hit the front of my car.

I immediately hit the brakes and slowed down and drove out of the water. Not even 5 seconds later my car gets bogged down and my RPMs won't go over 2k.

I put my car in park and put on the 4 ways while white smoke is coming out of my exhaust. I sit there for a bit realizing I may have damaged the car, but it's running so I know I didn't hydrolock it. I then try to drive it, but it still won't accelerate so I pull into a parking lot.

I keep the car in park, slowly revving the engine to keep it running. At this point I have looked online and understand I may have had water enter my intake. My car is now able to rev to 5kRPM so I go to drive it only to have it bog down again and stay around 3kRPM.

I then decide to call a tow truck and have it checked at BMW.

Is my engine screwed? Or is the intake just wet and needs to be dried out?

Any help would be appreciated so I can go into the dealership with a better understanding. Sorry for the long story.
    - - - Updated - - -

I have the same car BTW

My Cars
    3 Series
    Sounds like your wheel speed sensors are wet.
    Last edited by testify; 10-30-2017 at 02:13 PM.