Thread: Front Drive Shaft Missing! no 4x4! light for 500+ miles

My Cars
    2004 X3 2.5i

Front Drive Shaft Missing! no 4x4! light for 500+ miles

I bought a used 2004 X3 2.5i. I drove it for well over 500 miles over the course of 1 week since I bought it. I was on my way to the parts store to pick up a pcv/ccv breather check valve when the 4x4! Warning light came on. As I was leaving the part store the brake light and abs light came on as well. I drove it to my friends indy shop just a mile or so away. The plan was to put it on the lift and see what kind of noise was coming from the transfer case. Upon putting it on the lift I could see that the front drive ahaft was completely missing. My mechanic friend told me that some people take off the front driveshaft to get better gas mileage. I topped the brake fluid off as it wasn't at the max (but was no where near empty) the abs light and brake light went off an hour later.

My question is how the heck was the 4x4! Light not on for the 500 miles that I drove it since I bought it?
    Is there a way to supress that light?
    I called the car lot that I bought it from and he claimed he never knew the drive shaft was missing but he could locate me one for cheap.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    A pre purchase inspection is always a good idea

My Cars
    2004 X3 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    A pre purchase inspection is always a good idea
    Thanks for the input, however your response doesn't even come close to answering my questions.

I purchased the vehicle for less than half of the kelly blue book's estimated value. So I knew there were bound to be issues.

I'm just wondering how the 4x4! Light was not on with the front drive shaft missing.

Last night I started up to move it into my garage and the abs-brake-4x4! Triad was on. I had to park it in the street for a moment while I moved another car. When I turned the X3 back on the 4x4! light was on but the abs and brake light were now off.

The car drives fine without the front drive shaft, will it hurt anything to keep driving like this? Am I forever going to have to look at these warning lights? Or is there a way to program them to not come on?

My Cars
    3 Series
    How would you expect the car's computer to detect that the front driveshaft is missing?

The light probably popped on after you spun a tire and the ECU realized something was amiss in the AWD system due to the variations in wheel speeds.
    Last edited by testify; 10-29-2017 at 01:48 PM.

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    My concern would be, if the front drive shaft was simply removed without any other considerations, the flange in the transfer case could come off pretty much on its own since the drive shaft is not holding it anymore in its place. It has a slip seal for the transfer case fluid. When/if the flange comes off, the transfer case gets emptied from its fluid.

Is the flange still there? Any fluid in the transfer case?

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    Also, removing the front drive shaft for fuel consumption reasons does not sound like a credible explanation to me. Hopefully it wasn't removed to cover up problems with the front differential or any such thing.

My Cars
    2004 X3 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyldude View Post
    My concern would be, if the front drive shaft was simply removed without any other considerations, the flange in the transfer case could come off pretty much on its own since the drive shaft is not holding it anymore in its place. It has a slip seal for the transfer case fluid. When/if the flange comes off, the transfer case gets emptied from its fluid.

Is the flange still there? Any fluid in the transfer case?
    The flange is gone. And what ever the flange sits in is missing as well, the hole is alot bigger thsn just the flange. It is possible that I was driving it with only the flange in and maybe it fell off and I didn't notice. I haven't checked the transfer case fluid but it makes sense that the light would come on with no fluid in the transfer case.

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    I think the most likely scenario is that someone removed the drive shaft thinking it was an okay thing to do while not knowing the flange becomes loose. The flange might have stayed onboard for some time, but at some point during the 500 miles it came off and the transfer case lost its fluid.

I would not drive it any further before ensuring that the transfer case in fact has fluid in it, and if not, before the issue is resolved. You need a drive shaft, bolts, and a flange before putting in new fluid, if the transfer case hole has not been plugged in some other way.

Is the front differential still in place? If the car lot has a drive shaft for you, it might be the one from this very same vehicle, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by vinyldude; 10-30-2017 at 01:50 AM.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    I have a friend with 2004 X3 2.5i auto with 165K.
    I think the transfer case is kaput (very noisy chain noise and lights on the dash etc.).
    I am helping him out bc he is very short of budget (Covid related unemployment etc.).

But my questions are:

1. If he removes the front DS, does the car effectively run as RWD only?
    Does he need to disconnect the electric motor (mounted on the transfer case) to de-activate the AWD system?

2. How do you fashion something to hold the TC's flange so it does not fall off?

3. Any long-term damage to the trans etc. if he accomplishes the items lited above: #1 and #2?

My Cars
    BMW E23 732i
    If you use Xdelete, the light's won't come on. After using Xdelete you can take all the parts off.

My Cars
    E83, E21
    Removing the front shaft will clearly make the car RWD, but bad things will happen to the transfer case clutch pack when the myriad of sensors attempt to send torque to the front wheels that can't receive them. Normal is 30%, which is now unloaded due to no shaft. He can unplug the actuator or pull the fuse to disable it, but lose DSC and ABS in the process (not that that is much of a concern for a competent driver).

As mentioned above me, it AWD needs to be programmed out. But better, and more importantly, is just fix the issue.

By the way, the transfer case is still operational in only RWD, so bypassing the front axle really won't help much in regards to safety. The transfer cases in these aren't made of glass, and the issue is likely outside the case. The unit can also be rebuilt for a fraction of a new box.
    Last edited by dukedkt442; 11-29-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    E21 build

BMW CCA 584213

I buy socks from Amazon.

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Adifferentmatt View Post
    The flange is gone. And what ever the flange sits in is missing as well, the hole is alot bigger thsn just the flange. It is possible that I was driving it with only the flange in and maybe it fell off and I didn't notice. I haven't checked the transfer case fluid but it makes sense that the light would come on with no fluid in the transfer case.
    What part of Ohio are you? If you are near Cincy I might have a lead on a driveshaft for you.