Thread: anyone done the 9005 to low beam conversion?

My Cars
    E46 TiAg M3

Thumbs up

Hey, has anyone done this conversion? What bulbs did you use and did you get good results? thanks

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Why would a 9005 bulb in the low beams help?? I dont get it??
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    dunno... but i remember Omey Homey from the Roadfly M3 forum went raving about how good the outcome was... i didn't read much of the post since i didn't care about it too much...

anyone know?
    Richard

My Cars
    E46 TiAg M3
    I actually did the conversion today, the results were really good just with some sylvania cool blues. The headlight are alot brighter w/ out a glare. I guess its a pretty inexpensive way to get brighter lights without gettin ellipsoids or HId's. But theres not way i would pay omeyhomey 40 bucks to do it when it takes about 10 minutes to do yourself. oh well. later

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    hey rollin'

can u tell me the procedures to do this conversion? is it a irreversible thing to do, like screw up ur sockets? or r u jus' messing around with the bulb only...

can u do a procedure write-up for me? thanks a lot. i appreciate it. thanks.
    Richard

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    Here you go. This is a complete write up. I am going to do it this weekend. I got some of Jimmy's bulbs on the roadfly board but i only paid $20 for them. Jimmy sells them for $120. If you would like a set, i could help you out. but i will tell when i have done this. In the mean time, here is how you do it:

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm
    A sports car isn't a car unless you know how to drive it!

Come and visit my part of the web.http://nathanhodge.homestead.com
    BUY MY ///M

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    hey nathan, thanks for the link... but it says the mod can only be done on ellipsoids. if so, i guess im SOL...

Thanks tho...
    Richard

My Cars
    just an old 328
    I still dont get how a 9005 bulb will help the lighting? both bulbs are nearly the same with different o-rings and lock pins. I dont get it. the 9005 isnt capped on the ends, but its only slightly less capped. I doubt is gonna make that much of a difference. But if ur bored and wanna have fun.. I say give it a try in one night.. take a pic for us and we'll compare the 2 headlights.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    Rich, it will work on all of them. I promise. If you will notice, it shows the 9006 and that is what you are forming the 9005 to. If your car uses 9006's, then you can do it, i promise. I am going to do it and show you guys. If you would like ME to take pics, i can. I looked and looked, but there are pics. I just can't find them. I will take pics though.

A guy on the roadfly forum wrote this about them:

"What a huge difference from the 9006 bulbs. I just wanted to try it out so i bought a couple of sylvania cool blues. Did the little bit of work thats needed, popped the suckers in. The light is much brighter and puts light over a larger area more evenly. Of course i readjusted the headlight so that they won't blind anyone. I defintely recommend this to anyone who wants brighter headlights w/ out having to pay for HID's"
    Last edited by outkastaliens; 04-12-2001 at 01:03 AM.
    A sports car isn't a car unless you know how to drive it!

Come and visit my part of the web.http://nathanhodge.homestead.com
    BUY MY ///M

My Cars
    E46 TiAg M3
    the reason you get more light is because of the higher wattage. I used 9005 65 watt Sylvania Cool Blues and noticed a dramatic difference. If you stepped up the wattage to maybe 80 watts or even 100, you'd get even more lighting. I'm planning on doing the conversion with 100watt 9005's when i get bored.

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    hey nathan, thanks for the reply... if u can please take pics of it... but im considering givin' it a shot, since i only modify the bulb, how much can it hurt
    Richard