Thread: key fob replacement

My Cars
    2012 328-I Convertible

key fob replacement

I have a 2012 328 hard top convertible. Bought used and it came with 1 key fob. This is the sort of match box shaped one with 3 buttons. Have seen for under $100 keys on EBay and wondered if and or where they get programmed. I bought one for probably $20.

The "spare" one I have doesn't start the car and the display shows a key if I recall correctly. Have read various things on the internet regarding whether one needs it programmed or not and nothing seems conclusive.

Dealer is saying without the comfort feature( when in the proximity it opens, as opposed to putting it in the dash slot) that it doesn't need programming, but would cost $350-400 from them. I don't have the comfort feature.

Has anyone had to replace their key replaced by some place other than the dealer or at least a better price than I've been quoted?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! The key would need to be programmed, but you're able to do this yourself without the dealer as long as you have one working key. Do a youtube search for 'e90 key programming' - it should take you only a few minutes. Best of luck!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST