Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Bridgestone Run Flat Troubles

My Cars
    2013 BMW 128i

Bridgestone Run Flat Troubles

I have been driving my 2013 128i for 21 months now, and I have put on approximately 40k miles. I am running the Bridgestone run flats that come standard on this model (I don't have the exact specs handy) During this time I have had 4 flat tires due to puncture. In the 27 years that I have been driving I have only experienced 2 flat tires. I have owned no less than 30 vehicles of various makes and models. Is it me, or are these tires puncture magnets? veI'm not a mathematician, but the probability of getting 4 flats in under 2 years, given I've only received 2 in the previous 25, must be astronomical. Anyone else have a similar issue? Thank you.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I had the exact same issue on my 135i. I've heard various reasons for this but no definitive answer. I switched to 'regular' tires and had 1 issue since (massive pot hole, completely my fault though).
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    Honda Pilot
    I have never been a fan of run flat tires. They do seem to be a magnet for problems.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    I didn't experience more punctures with oem continental run-flats vs. michelin ps go-flats. I DID experience hatred for run-flats, though. Michelin PS are quieter, better directional stability, wet weather grip, stopping, etc. I carry puncture plugs and a bottle of slime and compressor in case I don't spot/hear something stuck in a tire in time. Once, on run-flats, the TPMS signaled pressure loss and I got to a tire shop in time and they patched the puncture.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Could this be the symptom of a new driving environment?
    Such as construction areas, redevelopment areas,etc...

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    They are not anymore prone to punctures but most shops will not repair them. I will say that we do have a two year road hazard warranty on all the car tires we sell so they would at least be covered up to the original price you pay. I also do recommend the Bridgestone Driveguard as they are the best riding run flat tire by a wide margin.
    If I can help let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0

Toyos for Z4s

I own a 2003 Z4 3.0 that I just purchased in Aug 2017 with 17,700 miles.( a real find ) It had Bridgstone pole position run flats on it.They were jarring hard,tracked terrible,and did not handle great,however they were 15 years old.I replaced them with Toyo Proxes Plus4s and was amazed how quiet and smooth these tires are.Handeling and braking improved,gas miliage 1 mpg less than original tires.They really stick the corners and from a dead stop will not break loose ( even with sport button on) increasing stop light times if needed.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    The main advantage you felt with the new tires were they were not run flats. Other than the Bridgestone Driveguard the other run flat tires are just what you described.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack