Thread: New Top vs New Window

My Cars
    97 328iC

New Top vs New Window

Hey guys, so my rear window (zip-in) cracked and since I have glass coverage with $0 deductible I called my insurance company and they said they would cover it. Just call a repair shop and make an appointment. So my first thought was to call the local BMW dealer so I can get a factory zip-in rear window. Spoke to the guy in the body shop and he said they farm out their soft top work to a local independent upholstery shop.

I called the guy there and he said the car has to have a whole new top put on because even though it has a zip in window it won't seal properly, saying something about the stitching not being water proof on the zipper. I honestly don't even remember what he was saying, and I was pretty sure it was a bunch of crap anyway because everybody replaces their rear window with a zip-in window if they have the option. Maybe he doesn't like doing those jobs, and would rather replace the top. He said a whole new top would be about $13-1500 total, and he can give me an estimate for insurance purposes. FYI - This shop has a good reputation from what I hear.

I've had my 97 for 10 years and never replaced the top, but it's in decent condition since it's garaged. I have a feeling the top was probably replaced at some point, probably fairly close to when I bought it, since it has lasted this long.

Anyway, what I'm wanting to know is if I should get the estimate for a whole new top and see if my insurance covers it? Or just find another upholstery shop that will do a replacement window? I like the idea of getting a whole new top, as long as it's a quality unit and installed right. What would you do?

Thanks!

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    The replacement windows are fine so long as the zipper is aligned correctly when installed. If insurance wasn't paying, there are also quality aftermarket options available. The comment about leaks after swapping a new one in doesn't seem corroborated based on Forum experience. If you can actually get insurance to pay for the whole top - go for it. That quote is inline with what shops charge around here. I will say that after 10 years of use (raising up and down, exposure to sun/elements, etc.), the tops become stressed and items like the sewn seams or elastic straps begin to wear and replacement becomes more likely. If yours is still in good shape and opens and closes easily, I would get the new window and carry on. BTW- the available aftermarket tops have sewn in windows and I suspect that's what you were quoted over original BMW. When the window goes on them, the whole top gets replaced.

My Cars
    97 328iC
    Thanks Twistytee. That was kind of what I was thinking too. Even though my top looks ok, it's got to be nearing the end of its life. I mentioned the price because that seems like it has to be an aftermarket top, not original BMW. Which is fine as long as it's a quality top, installed properly. The only downside being it may not have a zipped in window, like you said, but I can certainly check into it when I go see the guy at the shop. The other added bonus to doing a new top is I would have them replace my tension straps at the same time. My originals are shot, and my replacement bungees are also not doing the job.

I'm going to call my insurance company first though, before I waste my time, and the guy at the upholstery shop's time. Just to see if they are ok with a whole top replacement.

My Cars
    98 M3 vert, 05 X5
    Huh, I never thought to check my GLASS insurance coverage on a PLASTIC window! I have a $50 deductible on comprehensive, so it may be worth it. Thanks for the tip!

If you can get a new top, I'd say go for it! Let us know what you find out and who your insurance company is. I have Allstate, and would love to replace my top thru insurance.
    Last edited by M3rocket; 11-02-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    Shizzam!

My Cars
    98 M3 vert, 05 X5
    I checked with my Allstate agent, and as suspected, the rear plastic window is only covered under comprehensive if it has been vandalized or accidentally damaged -- not from regular wear-and-tear. Same goes for the soft top.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    My window recently ripped too. I am probably going to go the entire new top route as the window is around $150 anyways where as the entire new top fabric kit is around $500, I figure it makes more sense to just replace it all at once, as I have some imperfections on the top.