Thread: Newman995 M3 Build Thread!

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600

Newman995 M3 Build Thread!

So here it is, my official build thread. Its been a long time coming.

I picked up a 99 M3 two weeks ago for $5000.

This car is going to be my daily driver for the next few years (hopefully), so i dont plan on doing anything crazy for the time being. I plan to slowly upgrade things and repair things that are in need of love. After a few years ill probably buy another car as my daily and this car will become my track toy. Maybe turbo? Supercharger? Who knows thats a ways down the road. Anyways, I am going to keep this thread updated with pictures and possibly some how-to's whenever i make changes to the car.

The Good:
    Engine runs strong
    5 Speed
    Interior is pretty clean
    Nice lights
    Bought the car with wheels i actually love

The Bad:
    The secondary air pump just took a crap so my CEL is on. I decided to delete the pump all together and go with a SAP simulator. I know some people might not agree with this, but its the route i chose.
    The radio is terrible.
    Missing some trim pieces
    Hood paint looks like trash\

This past weekend i deleted the stock clutch fan and replaced it with a Mishimoto electric fan that i wired to a switch in the cockpit. I dont have any pictures of that to post with this but if anyone is interested on how exactly i installed and wired the fan i can do a write up on it.

I am so excited to finally be a part of the M3 family and i look forward to talking to you all. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to post. Cheers

IMG_0648 by Austin Newman, on Flickr
    IMG_0654 by Austin Newman, on Flickr
    IMG_0655 by Austin Newman, on Flickr
    m3PD by Austin Newman, on Flickr
    IMG_0661 by Austin Newman, on Flickr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by newman995; 10-23-2017 at 07:29 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    you forgot to add to "the bad"... ugly ass halo lights.. lol..
    that driver side vader looks to have been re-done, the give away is that far bolster bunch up...

nice pick up though... needs a few things but over all you should be pretty happy with it
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Welcome! Nice hoonigan sticker lol..dtm tips...

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Nice pick up. I'm curious as to why the rear seems to sit high... maybe the front low as well. Do you have any idea what sort of suspension the car has?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Nice pick up. I'm curious as to why the rear seems to sit high... maybe the front low as well. Do you have any idea what sort of suspension the car has?
    i haven’t looked at it too in depth yet to be honest. I know that the suspension is rather stiff so I don’t think it’s stock. The rear sits a little high, but if it was any lower I would have serious rubbing issues. The rear tires rub slightly around hard corners.

also: rear needs more camber. And suggestions on what I should do to increase negative angle?
    Last edited by newman995; 10-24-2017 at 11:09 AM.

My Cars
    1995 Dakar M3
    Mileage?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by newman995 View Post
    i haven’t looked at it too in depth yet to be honest. I know that the suspension is rather stiff so I don’t think it’s stock. The rear sits a little high, but if it was any lower I would have serious rubbing issues. The rear tires rub slightly around hard corners.

also: rear needs more camber. And suggestions on what I should do to increase negative angle?
    Take it to an alignment shop. They should be able to get -1.5-1.75 degrees in the rear at stock ride height (and that doesn't look far off from stock). It's adjustable via the eccentric bolts in the lower control arms. You don't really want more than -2 degrees in the rear on the street.

If the car has an aftermarket suspension with adjustable ride height that should be obvious if you see height adjusters on the front struts and on the rear springs. If the height can be adjusted that makes rear camber easier since you get more camber as you lower it. Aftermarket adjustable rear lower camber arms will counter this by providing more adjustment than stock.

In any case, a full alignment and a suspension inspection would be a good idea regardless. A good shop who specializes in alignments and suspension work should be able to point out anything you will need to address.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by fbmbirds View Post
    Mileage?

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    Hello, Newman

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by SamGrant951 View Post
    Hello, Newman
    Lol. Seinfeld.

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    @ TostitoBandito I’m planning on doing upper and lower control arms in the rear. The stock ones really are weak. But you’re totally right, any more than -2 is no good for street and it looks ridiculous IMO.
    Last edited by newman995; 10-24-2017 at 01:06 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    @ TostitoBandito I’m planning on doing upper and lower control arms in the rear. The stock ones really are weak. But you’re totally right, any more than -2 is no good for street and it looks ridiculous IMO.
    I put in the blue TMS lower arms recently and am happy with those thus far. The solo install wasn't even that bad, aside from muscling the diff back into alignment for the bolts while operating a jack with my legs.

As far as being weak, it's a tradeoff. The stock arms are designed to bend in a crash to absorb forces before they reach the subframe and the rest of the chassis. Aftermarket arms are more rigid which is good for performance/racing but probably not so good if someone hits one of your rear wheels. That said, anything hard enough to do that will probably total this car anyways, so it probably doesn't matter anymore.

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    I put in the blue TMS lower arms recently and am happy with those thus far. The solo install wasn't even that bad, aside from muscling the diff back into alignment for the bolts while operating a jack with my legs.

As far as being weak, it's a tradeoff. The stock arms are designed to bend in a crash to absorb forces before they reach the subframe and the rest of the chassis. Aftermarket arms are more rigid which is good for performance/racing but probably not so good if someone hits one of your rear wheels. That said, anything hard enough to do that will probably total this car anyways, so it probably doesn't matter anymore.
    Well I don’t plan on getting hit, but I definitely plan on doing some spirited driving lol. And if I was to get hit, I’d deal with that when it happens.

Huge thanks for the info!

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    wow, 5 speed for 5K with such mileage is a no brainer - congrats!

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    wow, 5 speed for 5K with such mileage is a no brainer - congrats!
    Thanks brother!
    1999 M3/2/5 Arctic Silver
    2013 GSXR-600

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    I ordered some parts last night and i am quickly learning just how impatient i really am. Got a new wheel bearing for the left rear because its making this obnoxious ticking sound and i can feel it binding the slightest bit at low speeds. I ordered a new thermostat set for a lower temperature as i only use the heat for defrost. And the part i am most excited for is the new set of lower control arms for the rear. I need more camber adjustment in the rear so i can bring the back end down a little and get the geometry right. It is looking like a funny car at the moment.

Here are some pics from the last few days. Cold and rainy weather here in GA

These two were taken at a local parking deck.

Parked behind my boss's 93 ramcharger
    Last edited by newman995; 10-29-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    2013 GSXR-600

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Got a new wheel bearing for the left rear because its making this obnoxious ticking sound and i can feel it binding the slightest bit at low speeds.
    If you still have an OEM spare wheel/tire, put it on your left rear with factory lugs and see if the noise goes away.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupé CSM
    Yeah it isn't perfect off the lot but $5k for a 130k coupe in that condition is a fine buy! Looks nice inside, which I can't say I'd say for most $5k M3s I see.

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    So today i did some work on the car. I had planned on changing the left rear wheel bearing to fix the ticking / rattling sound coming from that corner. Took the brake rotor off and i found that the ebrake shoe was ridiculous loose and there was some debris in there. I took the brake shoe off, cleaned out the junk, and readjusted it. Now the wheel doesnt tick, my ebrake actually holds the car, and i have an extra wheel bearing.

I did notice that the ebrake shoes are worn out BAD. Ill be replacing those soon. Anyone ave suggestion for what to go with? There has to be something better than stock.
    2013 GSXR-600

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'd just go with OEM parts for the parking brake. Doesn't necessarily need to be "genuine BMW", but a (cheaper) European/BMW OEM brand will do. It's not like your parking brake is asking for an "upgrade".

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    I'd just go with OEM parts for the parking brake. Doesn't necessarily need to be "genuine BMW", but a (cheaper) European/BMW OEM brand will do. It's not like your parking brake is asking for an "upgrade".
    I was just wandering if there are shoes out there with more bite. For the skids of course lol. I’ll probably just go OEM with them and put in a hydro if I really need it.
    2013 GSXR-600

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    I didnt plan on doing anything with the exhaust, but the exhaust that came on my car when i bought it, was driving me nuts. The muffler was TOTALLY destroyed and it rattled non stop.

Here is what i did.

First, the old exhaust:

CHECK OUT THOSE WELDS
    are side ported mufflers a thing?

I bought an exhaust tip from the local parts store, got some stainless pipe, and welded together an exhaust. I cut the the muffler off behind the bad welds, but before the bend in the pipe. I welded on a piece of pipe to replace where the muffler would have been and put the tip on that. I welded in two supports behind the tip that go up to the car where they are bolted in.

So i spent like $50 and got a decent result. It is definitely louder but it sounds nice.
    2013 GSXR-600

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    You should at least find a stock M3 exhaust from someone nearby. You can probably get one for next to nothing. Hell I'd let you take mine out of my garage if you were near me.

That crap that came on your car has to be more restrictive than stock since it goes from 2 pipes down to 1 before the muffler. Stock and any quality aftermarket are all 2 pipes all the way through from the headers to the muffler. Also, right now you've basically got straight pipes from the cats on back. That's gonna be loud on the street.

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    You should at least find a stock M3 exhaust from someone nearby. You can probably get one for next to nothing. Hell I'd let you take mine out of my garage if you were near me.

That crap that came on your car has to be more restrictive than stock since it goes from 2 pipes down to 1 before the muffler. Stock and any quality aftermarket are all 2 pipes all the way through from the headers to the muffler. Also, right now you've basically got straight pipes from the cats on back. That's gonna be loud on the street.
    It is pretty loud. I really rushed putting this together just to get rid of the old muffler. I'll most likely pick up an after market cat back later on down the road. But you are totally right, i noticed a difference as soon as i started driving with the new set up. The old exhaust must have really restricted the engine.
    2013 GSXR-600

My Cars
    1999 M3 - 2013 GSXR 600
    Man o man it has been way too long. Almost a year! Anyways, here is whats up with the car.

The car would start to get a little too warm for my liking when sitting at idle for any extended period of time. I did a clutch fan delete and replaced it with a Mishimoto electric fan. I wired it to a switch in the cockpit for ease of use and racecar style points... Car stays super cool now and i never have to worry about it. I highly recommend the Mishimoto kit to anyone worrying about the clutch fan time bomb.

I have the car sitting on some coilovers i installed in January of this year. I was on a tighter budget at the time and after a lot of shopping and deliberating i decided to give the Truhart coilovers a go. They looked good and they were pretty cheap($550). So far so good! They ride smooth, the camber plates are adequate, and there is plenty of room for adjustment.

Ive traded about 3 sets of wheels and bought one extra set. Its got a set of Enkei wheels on there now that I'm sticking with. I like the look and haven't seen many other e36's with that style wheel. I bought a LTW rep spoiler off of a parts car. I got it super cheap because it had a crack in it, but bondo and paint fixed that.

Ive done a bit of maintenance; plugs, air filter, bad coil packs replaced, fixed a short in the wiring harness, alignment, new kidneys, and the other usual junk.

Up next for the car is an intake refresh. The boot is starting to show signs of tearing in the bend between the MAF and the throttle body. Im going to get rid of the restrictive ASC throttle body and put on a new intake as soon as the parts get here. I am also toying with the idea of doing the M50 intake manifold swap but i haven't made up my mind yet. Ill probably end up doing it though because who doesn't like cheap HP? After the intake ill turn my attention to bushings and mounts. Planning on replacing all of the bushings in the rear with something a little stiffer and welding in some reinforcement plates while the subframe is out of the car.

Some pics of the car to wrap up. Hope everyone is doing well, maybe ill post again before next year

IMG_0848 by Austin Newman, on Flickr

IMG_0871 by Austin Newman, on Flickr

IMG_0997 by Austin Newman, on Flickr
    2013 GSXR-600