Thread: e39 1999 INPA K+Can cant talk to airbag module

My Cars
    1985 e30

e39 1999 INPA K+Can cant talk to airbag module

I have spend 2 weeks reading all the forums, have a computer background and been trying to have my laptop talk to my e39 through the INPA K Can tools and the clear usb K Can cable on ebay with green pcb.

Aim is to reset that dratted airbag light.

I have bridged p7/8,
    coms ports set correctly in obd and control panel, also latency 1
    host name correct in ini file also port number,
    DCAN utility set to 500

I have the 20pin round connector under the hood only (no pin 15) - no OBD2 in cabin.

I have built an XP laptop with standard tools/setup
    also win 7 laptop with Mikes tools on it.

both laptops same results

two black dots for ignition always on

can only read instrument cluster - make lights flash etc
    can get access to radio - radio controls
    but I need to get into body - airbag. When I select this I get the communication error IFH-0009 error.
    Have tried No can, 100k 500k in the can selection tool. Have tried pin 7/8 open and closed
    have tried my xp and win 7 laptops and both identical results.

I also bought the b800 airbag reset tool off ebay but it wont work and gived e10 e11 errors.

am going crazy, I just want to read the airbag log and reset the light.

anytips here greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i

My Cars
    1985 e30
    thanks for the link, read that page already and have voltage on the 2 pins in my case.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Unfortunately voltage doesn't always equate to access to all modules, as the suspect connector jumps the IKE K-line to several modules. The only way to determine whether you actually have comms with the airbag module would be to test the voltage at the SRS module data line - BMW WDS will show you the appropriate connections.

My Cars
    1985 e30
    update, I rechecked voltages carefully with a multimeter and have 5v on pin 20 and zero volts on pin 17!
    So my e39 has no secondary K - Line.
    so according to this guide
    pin 20 is white - purple
    pin 17 white purple yellow.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/a...6&d=1455488694

I need to find an active white purple yellow cable from the easiest access point and jumper it to that pin7/8 bridge on my usb cable via my 20pin round to 16pin obd2
    adapter cable.

Any idea of easiest point to splice in without pulling out cluster, I was going to check fuse box area as suggested in another post, but now dark and will call it a day after 4 hours of testing, will look fresh for that white purple yellow cable in daylight.

thanks

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Your E39 has a secondary K-line all right but the connector I pointed you at earlier is the likely cause of it not being accessible from the diagnostic port. Jumping the cable at another location will not provide a permanent solution to the problem as the connector in question links a number of modules to the second K line and these are also likely to be on the brink of failure. Other than the cluster, you can access the white/violet/yellow wire at the connector under the driver's side floor mat or possibly via the driver's side kick panel.

My Cars
    1985 e30
    update: further testing.
    just with key turned to acc position
    pin 17 is zero volts
    pin 20 5v

key turned to ignition

pin 17 9volts
    pin 20 8v

Still same issue can only talk to cluster, radio , abs, but not airbag system.

kind of lost here..

In my xp and win 7 laptops I noticed I have 2 black dots always on, no matter if ignition is on/off.
    Not sure if that means anything.

My Cars
    1985 e30
    clutching at straws here but wondering why pin 2 is shorted to pin 17 when the cap is screwed on the obd pacman plug under hood.
    pin 2 is same as 17 TXD2

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    The purpose of the jumper in the 20 pin cap is to provide a connection to the OBD port under the dash. If the ignition and battery indicators are permanently blacked out (i.e. there is a connection), it just means that the interface you are using emulates an ignition signal rather than detecting a true ignition signal - this has no bearing on the function of your interface for your current purposes. As I have said before, connector X183 is a splice which connects the ABS/DSC control unit, Airbag diagnostic module, IKE, EDC control unit and Steering angle sensor to pin 20 of your diagnostic port. These are discreet connections, so you can have diagnostics on your DME, ABS, IKE, EDC and Steering Angle Sensor but not the Airbag diagnostic module (or any combination of communication failures). This particular connector is located under the driver's side floor mat and is reknowned for causing problems. The airbag diagnostic module is located below the rear centre console and depending on the exact model configuration of your car, according to BMW WDS is normally connected via a white and violet wire from pin 9 of the 50 pin connector on the airbag diagnostic module to the X183 splice and from there to pin 20 of the round 20 pin diagnostic connector.
    Last edited by David Mc; 10-25-2017 at 10:51 AM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeexxx View Post
    clutching at straws here but wondering why pin 2 is shorted to pin 17 when the cap is screwed on the obd pacman plug under hood.
    pin 2 is same as 17 TXD2
    The cap is what ties Pin 2 to Pin 17. If you're bridging connections with the cap removed, then you have to make that bridge yourself

You might be able to modify the cap to have TXD1 and 2 always shorted. Though I don't know if the connections that the cap makes for TXD 1 to Pins 14 and 15 would cause issues with TXD2 in the picture
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 10-25-2017 at 10:59 AM.

My Cars
    1985 e30
    I looked at my carpet at drivers side and peaked behind the panel above brake pedals. Also tried to look for splices in glovebox. This is now beyond me. Can anyone in Aust recommend an electrical technician that knows this issue and e39s . I am in Sydney CBD area. It's not just airbag light the oil light won't reset with any of the reset tools either.

My Cars
    E34 540i/6
    Hi, if airbag unit is only one, which you can't access, maybe ecu is bad. Try to change it and you will see. But i saw many communication problems with e39 and also water damaged airbag unit[mrs]. Check WDS, under drivers carpet is connection X183 which connects almost all units diagnostic link[Txd]. It goes from diag connector X6002 pin 20. When some ecu is bad, it could disturb communication. And when you unplug that bad unit from X183, other ecus will be accesible. Mostly is problem with independent heating.

- - - Updated - - -

Use inpa to reset oil in instrument cluster.

My Cars
    1985 e30
    Does anyone have a reference how to get to wds under drivers carpet?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    WDS is online at BMW-Planet.net. It is the Wiring Diagram System and won’t tell you how to remove the carpet. These posts may help http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/69618-...et#entry726736 and https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...carpet-removal but it looks like the driver's seat will have to be removed to even lift the carpet enough to access the X183 connector.
    Last edited by David Mc; 11-11-2017 at 07:38 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i Touring
    Any updates on this one Coffee?
    Pretty sure I've got a very similar problem.

My Cars
    1985 e30
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyFirstDay View Post
    Any updates on this one Coffee?
    Pretty sure I've got a very similar problem.
    OK Communications back to normal. Nothing to do with splice/cabling/corrosion.
    Faulty airbag ECU holding down communication line. As soon as ECU was unplugged the other modules could communicate.
    Replacing ECU was fix. Bought a replacememnt ECU from Ebay. I still have airbag light as mechanic has not been able to change the VIN code in the Ebay module to suit my car using his expensive BMW tools. I now have to research VIN changing procedure myself. Any clues?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    It has nothing to do with with the VIN. It may need coding, but I would begin with reading the current errors and posting them here.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1985 e30
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    It has nothing to do with with the VIN. It may need coding, but I would begin with reading the current errors and posting them here.
    The mechanic said the replacement ECU from ebay came from a car with two front airbags only and my car also has rear airbags. He had issues trying to code it and change VIN and aborted saying normally he should be able to at least change VIN.

Have spent a fair bit of money now, think I need to work out how to code it myself for 4 airbags.
    I did download and setup a laptop with INPA tools but not confident to use NSC expert tool.
    Perhaps need to try my luck again and purchase another ECU from ebay.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    You can't fix this by recoding that module. It's not designed with the correct circuits for your car. I've experimented with this on multiple e36s. Ideally you'll find a module from an e39 of the same year but another year will work if it's from a car with the exact same airbag configuration yours has. Once you find the correct module it can be installed without any coding .Just clear any error codes and you should be good to go
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 11-27-2018 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Partially true. If the part number on replacement module is one on the equipment list (realoem), then it would work. It would need coding. Modules were designed to be coded for different equipment levels on these newer models, such your Temic MRSZ3 airbag module. Especially true for non North America models where they had even more differing equipment levels.
    Coding is what differentiates it among the differences.
    It is unwise to leave it uncoded to your car's equipment.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S