Thread: Blower Motor Replacement

My Cars
    08 335i and 15 others...

Blower Motor Replacement

AC/Heat/Blower didn't work even a little when I got the car (08 335) so among the other 15 or so projects that me and the kid are doing on his car was to replace the motor and resistor. Glad we did a little plinking around on common issues and the resistor was also a known culprit so we ordered both pieces. I'd say this one got a little hot, even the harness plug was melted beyond serviceability so we built a little three wire pigtail to replace the plug. Think this thing got hot? It must have smelled like acrid burning plastic not that the previous owner gave two shakes
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Interesting.
    Got a brief write up?
    I'm looking, but not finding my model just yet.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Please disregard.
    I should YouTube more.

My Cars
    There's a recall out for that exact problem. The resistor, and wiring harness gets replaced.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Thanks RX.
    In my case, the blower works predictably at all speeds, however it is very noisy, warbling or such.
    If crappy fans are covered, I'm ok, however if it's the resister alone I may just do it all myself. (some assumption on my part that a new fan would come with the resister)

My Cars
    Crappy fans aren't covered. Lol. I've found that 90% of noisy fans are caused by leaves or debris in them. The fan is pretty easy to take out and look.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2011 328 Xi
    My Final Stage Resistor (what you're looking at in the original post picture) caught fire while I was driving my car home from the dealership. Smelled something weird and when I stopped in my garage, I turned off the car, but the blower kept blowing. Afraid of draining my battery overnight, I looked online and took out the covering under the glovebox and tried to disconnect the connector. Found the wires had shorted and melted the connector completely, AND there was still current flowing through the wires because every little jiggle I would see sparks and actually saw some of the wiring insulation start to catch fire. Had to disconnect the battery and cut out the part with wire cutters, and then electrical tape over the exposed wires remaining.

Took the car into the shop the next day (driving in 10 degree weather in Michigan with no heat or blower to defrost the window meant that I had to drive with my windows down). Thank god for heated seats and steering wheel. The dealership had seen the recall notice but had not come across anybody who had had an issue. When the service tech saw my FSR, he got me a loaner car and the dealership contacted BMW to get the parts. It took about a week (and they did the PVC recall at the same time), but BMW did send the parts and the dealership was able to repair it.

But, if you have not had the repair done, BMW is absolutely correct that you should not park the car in your garage, or it may catch fire and take your entire garage with it. Trust me on this one. I was lucky but it could have been me standing by the side of the road with a burnt out 328xi.

Cheers,
    B.D.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Replaced my blower motor.
    Awkward when leaving the glove box in place, but entirely doable.
    Loving the quiet air movement.

It looks like my Final Stage Resistor was changed out before I bought the car.
    It looks in mint condition, from wires to components and has a date on it 6.6.14.

I'm now debating whether to bring it in to BMW for the warranty or not... they are not aware it's been replaced... yet... not sure if they'll try to charge me when they see the date on it.