Thread: SoCal Body Shop Recommendation: Paint, Installation, Suspension, Exhaust, Lighting

My Cars
    840Ci

SoCal Body Shop Recommendation: Paint, Installation, Suspension, Exhaust, Lighting

Dear SoCal Members,

Can you guys please recommend your number one choice Auto Body Shop for paint and installation? I'm looking for a shop in Southern California (Orange County area preferred) that knows the ins and outs of 8 series. I don't want to go to any random shop and end up with shoddy installation and lots of broken pieces because the mechanic doesn't know how to take them apart. Definitely prefer someone who has worked on these cars before.

I prefer a one-stop shop (if possible) to have the following done:

• Paint & install CSI Body Kit + Side Mirrors + Paint additional plastic trims around the car
    • Install Euro headlight and FTP + Xenon Upgrade
    • Install 3-Spoke Steering Wheel
    • Lower the car (Eibach Springs + Bilstein shock)
    • Install Supersprint Rear Mufflers
    • Remove some interior panels and dash trims & reinstall them

Based on online reviews and the cars these guys work on, I'm considering Laguna Niguel Collision, but again I have no previous experience with them.
    http://www.bodyshoplagunaniguel.com/

Any advice or recommendation is appreciated.

Thank you!

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I would say that items 2, 3 and 6 can all be done by you with minimal knowledge and even tools. I am happy to walk you through any of these if you feel like taking the plunge yourself.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    840Ci
    Thanks Mike, but I have to be very honest here, working on cars has never been my thing and I don't have most of the tools required. In an attempt to do any of this myself I would be terrified to break something in the process

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Understandable, but in the ling run I think you will find that despite how much money you shower on someone, only you will treat your car with the care you want.

With that said, I think having an upholstery shop help with 3 and 6 would be the best option if you make a separate stop, but any decent independent mechanic familiar with BMWs from the 80s and 90s should not have much trouble with what you are asking. If you are good at making pals (not my thing) then the wrenchfests the Socal 8ers throw together a few times a year could probably benefit you on at least a few of these items.

No affiliation or experience, but people are generally happy with Coast Motor Werk. Not sure what location of their several has hands on experience with the E31, but my car had some work done by them long before I owned it.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    Understandable, but in the ling run I think you will find that despite how much money you shower on someone, only you will treat your car with the care you want.
    100% agree. I'm extremely meticulous when it comes to this car. Every time I leave it with someone I have to pray that it comes back without a damage or a broken piece. Owning such a rare car leaves you with very few options when it comes to mechanics or body shops I guess!

I also considered Coast Motor Werk, apparently they did the suspension work on that Clarion E31.

My Cars
    850ci
    Chad Weltzien who now owns Soley Bimmer in Mission Viejo was the person who originally recreated Csi 166 (best known as Taylor’s black car, but previously owned by myself and Greg Tessier). I’d trust that for e-31s, he probably has more ability, experience and contacts than anyone in the area. (949) 586-4269. Another option is Bullet Peformance in Costa Mesa. (714) 556-4269. Both are mechanical, not body shops, but they are well-connected and have a proven track record of satisfied customers. They will be able to point you to the right body shops.
    1997 Cosmos Black 850 Ci somewhere on PCH.

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Actually, Chad has sold the shop (to his brother) and moved to Colorado - haven't quizzed him on his e31 knowledge so I can't speak for him.
    Bullet has done a fair amount of work on my car over the years - no complaints on the outcome

My Cars
    850ci
    And there you have it!
    1997 Cosmos Black 850 Ci somewhere on PCH.

My Cars
    840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by boltnbrew View Post
    Chad Weltzien who now owns Soley Bimmer in Mission Viejo was the person who originally recreated Csi 166 (best known as Taylor’s black car, but previously owned by myself and Greg Tessier). I’d trust that for e-31s, he probably has more ability, experience and contacts than anyone in the area. (949) 586-4269. Another option is Bullet Peformance in Costa Mesa. (714) 556-4269. Both are mechanical, not body shops, but they are well-connected and have a proven track record of satisfied customers. They will be able to point you to the right body shops.
    Thank you

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Glendale Auto Body did a nice job on my car.

My Cars
    94 850 CSi, 89 635CSi
    I had my 91 6-speed repainted by DTM Autobody in El Monte and they did a fantastic job. Bumpers, trim, mirrors, door handles, and window rubber all removed during process. They did the original all-metal custom fabrication and paint on Fern's wide-body car many years ago, and repaired/repainted it last year. I have seen other 8's in their shop too so they're experienced with the R&R specific to our cars. They do show cars for SEMA and general insurance body work on high-end cars too. David and Young were great and kept me informed with lots of pictures during the process.

For the mechanical work, I can recommend Freddy at Orange County Motor Werks in Mission Viejo. He was a BMW dealer mechanic and then worked for Chad at Solely Bimmer for many years before opening his own shop last year.

I'd try the interior panels and dash trim yourself. You may feel less-bad (but mad) breaking plastic pieces yourself rather than be disappointed letting someone else break stuff. If you can wait until February at our next SoCalEight's Wrenchfest, those of us familiar with clip locations and safest way to pry thing apart, can help.