Thread: Exhaust: Supersprint Rear Muffler Tip Design - Which Version To Get?

My Cars
    840Ci

Exhaust: Supersprint Rear Muffler Tip Design - Which Version To Get?

Hi Guys,

In terms of exhaust upgrade I've narrowed my search down to Supersprint Rear Mufflers.

In looking at their website I see 3 Tip Types. 76mm, 85mm Oval, and 90mm. Their tuned versions of 840Ci and 850CSi both use the 90mm variation.
    https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/bm...m62-95-99.aspx

In reading pretty much all the exhaust threads I noticed that few members here have Supersprint mufflers installed. Would you be kind enough to share your thoughts on the tips design and which version you end up getting? Some photos would be helpful.

I'm particularly interested to see some shots of the 85mm oval version installed on the car. The 90mm version seems to be the most common variation readily available, but I'm curious to know which tips size aesthetically complements the car with CSi Rear installed. If you have the 90mm variation installed, what are your thoughts on the size and how it looks from rear and side angles?

Thanks!

76mm Race Version

85mm Oval

90mm

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I like the 76mm. Originals are 65mm, so keep that in mind. I think the 90mm may look a bit large.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    I like the 76mm. Originals are 65mm, so keep that in mind. I think the 90mm may look a bit large.
    That's what I was thinking too, even Eisenmann exhaust is 83mm. Wish I could find some pics of these mufflers on the car, can't find anything on the web!

My Cars
    840Ci
    Here's the 76mm Race Version!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-superspr...ps/785016~ssp/
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-superspr...ps/785036~ssp/

85mm Oval Tip with Stock Rear

90mm Tip with CSi Rear Diffuser

And the following response from Supersprint:

"Please notice that the shape of our 90x85 tips is only slightly ovalized. It is not really an elliptical design; this design was made to match the Alpina diffuser, in particular. It is only slightly flatter than plain round. The main feature is that the rolled end is thinner than our regular 90mm tip, therfore the final looks is different.

As of the smaller, 76mm race tips, we do not have photos on hand. You may find that some of our E31 customers have posted photos of their car over forum boards, or somewhere across the internet. This is the tip design which has the most resemblance with the 850Csi stock tips.

Any of our tip options is made fit into the stock valence, with more than enough clearance. The final decision is just a matter of personal preference."

---------

I definitely don't like the oval.

The 90mm tip has a nice Beveled Edge (similar to the stock tips) whereas the 76mm tip has a Non-Rolled Edge resembling that of CSi. And now the dilemma is, which one to get...
    Last edited by mtmt840; 10-24-2017 at 10:09 AM.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    My advice would be to pick the tips that you like best. After all, it's your car, and you are footing the bill, might as well make sure it makes you happy.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    840Ci
    Dilemma solved - 76mm race version is the one for me, looks classier than the other two tips

My Cars
    not enough
    my 850 has the 90mm tips in the supersprints...but I always thought I would like them to be "thinner", more like the CSi tips. I didn't know there was a choice.
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
    my 850 has the 90mm tips in the supersprints...but I always thought I would like them to be "thinner", more like the CSi tips. I didn't know there was a choice.
    I didn't know that either. I'm glad Supersprint pointed that out

The CSi Tips complement the lines of the car perfectly and if Supersprints resemble that I'm all in

My Cars
    1993 e32
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but currently looking at getting a supersprint x pipe and rear boxes as i can't find stock bmw ones, apart from the 3 tip sizes, is it only a cosmetic difference between the 3 or is there any sound or loudness differences? cheers

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Not obtrusive but there's a sound difference. And I still have the OEM center resonator in place.

Had I known the cans would become NLA I would have kept my relatively new (70k mile) OEM cans instead of selling for $300 last year.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    1993 e32
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBobo View Post
    Not obtrusive but there's a sound difference. And I still have the OEM center resonator in place.

Had I known the cans would become NLA I would have kept my relatively new (70k mile) OEM cans instead of selling for $300 last year.
    same here, i only changed as i got a rock through one of my oem ones, didn't think it would be be impossible to replace later,
    Does anyone know which superprint is the quietest? 76 or 90? don't like the oval ones.

My Cars
    1993 e32
    K, ordered the 90mm cat back system, the 76mm looks more original, but supersprint Uk confirmed that the 90mm is the quietest of the options which after all the hassle with loudness and drone suits me. Gave up trying for original as simply could not source them anywhere on the planet, will post pics and sound once somewhere opens over here that can actually fit it.